Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightning Gun Concepts

New design, what do you think?

I am sorry, but what IS that?
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(02-20-2013, 02:35 PM)aa Wrote: I am sorry, but what IS that?

Only the barrel is anywhere near finished, the rest is placeholder.

Nice, but:

Your model lacks the middle parts... also the holder has different style then front of the weapon. And I dont understand the thing on the back, looks like a tail, and also as the holder its made in different style, as it wasn't shaped properly. Right now the whole model looks like: cool gun without guts in the front, driller in the middle + squirrel tail in the back end.

Try to test few different holders for this model and add something (sort of tube of what) in the middle, because it looks empty.

Overall: Well done! Very nice front shape, looks interesting, but needs lots of work.

I think it lacks a barrel. What is currently in the front looks like a holder. It needs a cylinder with transparent parts as a barrel, inside whiich the oryginal LFJHutch idea can be placed.
The buttstock looks nothing like it. T needs to be longer to reach the shoulder, and a straight surface, overwise, the current version would slip, and hit shooters eye.
The handgrip... Lets be honest, and say it straightforward, it is not good.
I think that there be some... thingies in between the grip and barrel.

obvious WIP:

[Image: AIIp2gw.png]
[Image: NbIuxqx.png]

Trying to figure out what to do with the stock, will probably try out the giant capacitor thing that Hutch proposed, but I don't want to use the wires since they wouldn't be physical.

feedback would be appriciated

I think a standard rifle stock with a battery would work.
There is not much creative stuff you can do with a weapon stock Tongue
[Image: 12766.png]
Sucks at weapons

*flips desk* Why do I even bother modelling when s1lence and Morphed can model the entire thing more beautifully than me in 1/4 of the time?

(02-24-2013, 07:33 AM)Faraday Wrote: *flips desk* Why do I even bother modelling when s1lence and Morphed can model the entire thing more beautifully than me in 1/4 of the time?

Because Xonotic needs more modelers and practice makes better Big Grin

(02-24-2013, 07:33 AM)Faraday Wrote: *flips desk* Why do I even bother modelling when s1lence and Morphed can model the entire thing more beautifully than me in 1/4 of the time?

I think you underestimate how much of my free time i've sunk into to it...
... probably at least 6-8 hours total sketching ideas on paper when bored over the past few weeks, and several hours modelling. I've also spent a lot of time previously learning the software.

Presently i'm still struggling with everything other than the barrel, the foregrip looks under-detailed and lousy. I might try to copy the aesthetics of your last post's barrel for the foregrip instead.

┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)

You should bother modelling because (A) It will help you become more proficient in the software and learn to do stuff in 1/4 the time, and because (B) Xonotic does not have nearly enough artists as is.

And also, had any developer neded other reason other then "iT looks bloody awesome"?

after several times accidentally closing blender without saving here we are...
[Image: Gr0yUYW.png]
You can't see it well in the screenie, but I added a centre prong.

around 1500 tris so far, giving me about 500 for the rest of the stock (I think) I might just get lazy and copy hutches ortho reference.

IDEAS PLEASE

also, I was considering putting image planes as a sort of "force field" to prevent user error when firing that would disappear for cooling when the weapon isn't being fired. I'll have to ask samual if that's possible with the engine.

I'm also thinking about scaling down the barrel, but i'm torn between making it look cool and somewhat realistic like hutch's art, or final fantasy esque like the nexgun

Great start. Don't keep too strickly to the 2000 tris limit, it really isn't that vital as long as it looks great and isn't totally over budget.
Also: http://distantsoulsdev.blogspot.com.ar/2...count.html

I've decided that I can and will make the model, however I still don't think we've come to a good enough agreement on what the LG should look like so I suggest that we create more 2d concepts first.

Since this has been dead for awhile, i went ahead and started working on my own version. Here's what I got so far.

http://i.imgur.com/SsLHE8s.jpg
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

Yes! Yes! Good!

Good job! Smile

Good start! Hopefully it (and other weapon updates) will be ready for 0.8 Wink

btw, anyone working on an update to the Crylink? That mesh seems to need the update most urgently and I might give it a try.

That actually looks quite nice. The front part could be a bit bigger to give the weapon a slightly heavier feel. Keep it up!

thanks. Alternativly, I could make the back lighter, to balance it out a bit.

@poVoq: I have a possible mesh for the crylink, but it still needs a lot of work.

Imgur Gallery

Judging from the side view the "weight" of front vs back is fine. I guess the front looks too "small" in the 1st person view due to a very forward placement of the mesh. Try positioning the camera a bit different in that view and see if the impression remains.

@theshadow: Can you PM me a download link to that possible crylink mesh? I will have a look, no promises at this point though. Anything blender can open is fine.

One quick question:
The shell ejection mechanism for the first person weapons as mentioned here: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/3/wiki/Weaponsystem how does it work exactly and can it be modified to eject any kind of particle effect (as specified in the effectinfo.txt)? Would be cool to have some energy or steam exhaust effects on first person weapons upon shooting. Does it differentiate between first and second fire-mode?

Samual has mentioned that he figured out how to put particle effect systems on weapons, so yes energy particle effects coming off of the weapon are planned.

Also, added the cords and reworked some of the geometries.
http://i.imgur.com/N2XdYb6.jpg

Imgur Gallery

Neat, and I bow down to the weapon modeling guru Wink

Why one of the wires is so small? Having different wires is good, but then they all must have diffferent thikneses.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re-Lightning Maps Wolf-Snipe 3 2,762 04-18-2020, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Wolf-Snipe
Thumbs Up We need our own Big Freakin' Gun Harmata 9 6,469 04-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Harmata
  [PSA] Lighting is NOT spelled "lightNing" Mr. Bougo 14 11,595 12-28-2012, 02:30 AM
Last Post: aa
  Duelmap concepts Debugger 6 5,357 05-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Last Post: Debugger
  Minigun/machine gun model kojn^ 2 4,270 04-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Morphed
  new gun model: electro theShadow 30 34,489 01-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
  New Ray gun F1rst16 7 5,032 09-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Last Post: rainerzufalldererste