Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Display nic names + account control ?

Hello people,

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a mechanism to disallow users from changing their names in game . For example as we have seen in nexuiz some retards change their names to match another player's name and annoy that player.(OR another example was that time we had a whole list of Bob's playing in one server...okay I admit that was somewhat funny but you know what I am talking about)

It could be great if the game prevented such possibilities by at least checking if that name is already used in the server.Ideally it would be great if there was a unique on-line server were players would need to register but since that is difficult and requires dedicated servers ,resources, customizations etc , I believe that it is more feasible and actually rather simple for each server hosting the game to have the ability to check whether a nick is used already locally.

What do you say ?

Cheers

Heh. I want the people back who were around at "Bob" times! Bobs where a bunch of advanced players , myself included. Tongue
But yes, nickfaking is annoying.

Personally I never found it a problem that my nick can be anything, and can be changed 5 times a second. I like this.

Personally I use it to add a little "description" or MOTD in my nick, so some folks of mine know what I'am up to right now.

I also know a compatriot of mine, who is frequently changing his nick, but I can always recognize it's him, because he always uses CAPITAL%YELLOW%LETTERS%WITH%RED%SPLATS%REPLACING%SPACES.
There is no other guy like him out there Smile

Please don't take those possibilities from me. From him. From us, the players.

If someone is using abusive nicks or what, if you are really frustrated - kick him, or leave the server Smile

I never met anyone who made me think "damn, this nick freedom has to be ended!". Really. Even if there are 12 Bobs playing on the server (CTF). And all you see is Bob took the blue flag, Bob fragged Bob, Bob was in a wrong place, etc.... I'd say that's awesome Big Grin
I wish I saw something like this and could participate! Smile

And if I saw someone with nick "I FℿℶK YOUR MOM LOL" it doesn't offend me. It makes me giggle. He either has to be an intelligent person with a strange sense of humor, or a troll. I don't feel offended.

I.e, I am AGAINST limiting nick fun. I'd be rather into giving players even more freedom. Freedom is fun, freedom is liberity. Liberity is GPL Smile Blah, blah Smile

All in all, this is just my own opinion, I'am not telling that it's the only good view on things, that's just my humble, humble... Wink
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Personally, I think we should get a VOLUNTARY nick name registration system. It would allow registering your nickname to your unique player ID. If someone else tries to register the same nick, he is refused. However, other players would still be able to use the nick - but if your current nick is registered to your player ID, you would get an extra icon on the scoreboard stating that your nick is "verified". A nickfaker then simply cannot get that icon, and anyone concerned about "nickfakers" can register.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

(12-15-2010, 09:39 AM)divVerent Wrote: Personally, I think we should get a VOLUNTARY nick name registration system. It would allow registering your nickname to your unique player ID. If someone else tries to register the same nick, he is refused. However, other players would still be able to use the nick - but if your current nick is registered to your player ID, you would get an extra icon on the scoreboard stating that your nick is "verified". A nickfaker then simply cannot get that icon, and anyone concerned about "nickfakers" can register.

That sounds like a good option.

This sounds very good divVerent! Want!

divVerent's idea seems like the way to go.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

(12-15-2010, 11:03 AM)Sepelio Wrote: divVerent's idea seems like the way to go.

+1

Code:
Uh... verify me xD
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Hmmm--better make sure you can only register your current nick, other wise we could run into nick hogs.

Otherwise, as soon as Xonotic gets an offical release I'm gonna register 'Player'. Tongue

(12-15-2010, 03:16 PM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote:
(12-15-2010, 11:03 AM)Sepelio Wrote: divVerent's idea seems like the way to go.

+1

Code:
Uh... verify me xD

+1
(12-15-2010, 03:16 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Hmmm--better make sure you can only register your current nick, other wise we could run into nick hogs.

You mean: allow guys register only one nick? Sure! But let them change it anyways Big Grin

There could be someting like username (that you register for) that can be like your name on this forum. Unchangable. But - in the game you could use different nick anyway. Login basically can be used to identify registered players. Despite that anybody could use any nick he wants, but anyone could also view detailed player's description and see what is login of each player. Admis could also kick/ban players by [logins / unique IDs] so that ban will last... ...f0r3\/@RRR!!!1oneone
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

divVerent's idea is also a good option for the nick stealers not just nickfakers.

For example there was a very good player named Someone , but then someone else was logging is as someone , and then someone got frustrated at that someone and was forced to use another nick.So to recap Someone is no longer someone because someone else "stole" Someone's nick, can you tell someone apart from someone ? Big Grin

The general idea is to protect your nick .

(12-16-2010, 07:41 AM)unfa Wrote: Admis could also kick/ban players by [logins / unique IDs] so that ban will last... ...f0r3\/@RRR!!!1oneone

This would make a ban actually usefull.

(12-16-2010, 07:41 AM)unfa Wrote:
(12-15-2010, 03:16 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Hmmm--better make sure you can only register your current nick, other wise we could run into nick hogs.

You mean: allow guys register only one nick? Sure! But let them change it anyways Big Grin

Precisely. Your current nick would be your registered nick (well, I guess you could have one nick registered and be playing as a different unregestered one if you wanted).

Yeeeah. My point is: you register for a nick, say I register for "unfa", right? But I think "unfa" is a pretty damn boring nick. So instead I type:

unfa | making dubstep is fun

And as long as my nick contains the "unfa" phrase, and I'am identified (registered) for "unfa" I get a little "registrered" icon in the chat'n'sconretab, and noboy else can get that symbol while using word "unfa" in their nick. So when 5 people use it, I'am the only one who has it registered, and I'am happy. And they are fake nick loosers.

If I decide to change my nick to "Lagissimo", then the "registered" icon disappears, because I don't use my registered nick (keyword) in my actual nick. But anybody can view my player details and see something like this:

. Lagissimo
. ---------
. ping: 5972 ms
. packet loss: ~99.9%
. ---------
. registered for: unfa
. unique ID: 295876476439824257987642598
. member since: 33th Moron 2011
. email: unfa@stickoffame.com
. ---------
. [invite as friend]
. [accept as friend]
. [ignore in chat]
. [avoid this freak]

If I haven't registered it would look like:

. Lagissimo
. ---------
. ---------
. unregistered
. IP: 666.1.2.3.4
. ---------
. [ignore in chat]
. [avoid this freak]

That shoudn't be too unfair.

Only problem with that is that someone could register 'ing' (for example). Then anybody that wanted to have a word in their nick with 'ing' in it (for example, 'Bob Herring') couldn't register.

If you wanted to add a limit so that your registered nick had to be x letters long, (let's say 4 for now), this might help but wouldn't fix the problem (for example, someone could register '[BOT]' (five letters) and then no one in [BOT] clan could put that in their nick, they'd have to play around with spaces or caps or something).

If the limit were cranked up to 6, for example, then people with shorter names (like 'unfa') couldn't register.

A possible solution: Give each player 2 spots to register, so that they can register their normal name ('unfa') and another spot for when they want to shake things up with out risking someone else taking their first nick ('unfa likes snowboarding'). Would that work?

Why not just like this:

- Registered nick = Forums nick
- You get an icon in game
- You can change your in game name to whatever you want
- With simple 'whois' function people can see "Aha he is registered as 'xyz' "

So if anyone is using for example 'unfa' as in game nick and you do a "whois", but hes registered as "nickfaker" you can tell its not the real unfa. Smile

. [LAG]Lagissimo [online]
. server: balance testing server 123 [join]
. ---------
. ---------
. registered for: unfa
. unique ID: 295876476439824257987642598
. member since: 33th Moron 2011
. reputation: 6
. email: unfa@stickoffame.com
. ---------
. [invite as friend]
. [accept as friend]
. [ignore in chat]
. [avoid this freak]

some edits xD
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(12-17-2010, 11:16 AM)Mirio Wrote: Why not just like this:

- Registered nick = Forums nick
- You get an icon in game
- You can change your in game name to whatever you want
- With simple 'whois' function people can see "Aha he is registered as 'xyz' "

So if anyone is using for example 'unfa' as in game nick and you do a "whois", but hes registered as "nickfaker" you can tell its not the real unfa. Smile

Yes, this would be a viable alternative as well. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Patreon/Librepay account Kim Jong-Ben 3 4,253 04-04-2018, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Kim Jong-Ben
  [SUGGESTION] Display Flag Beagle 3 3,980 06-28-2016, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Remove Player names for enemies bw[nk] 13 14,769 06-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] Don't display name of invisible players Micha 3 4,625 08-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Samual
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon names STEP 2 - contributing names Dokujisan 98 108,548 06-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Last Post: s1lence
  [SUGGESTION] 360 Degree Panoramic Display support Cuinnton 6 9,259 02-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Player account organization? poVoq 14 17,151 08-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Xonotic should get a Flattr account! paperclips 4 5,579 06-05-2010, 03:33 AM
Last Post: paperclips
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon names : general discussion Dokujisan 20 20,625 04-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Erusavion
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon names STEP 1 - brainstorming words Dokujisan 15 17,281 03-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Last Post: ai