Create an account

Poll: Which OS do you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Windows
21.28%
20 21.28%
Linux
64.89%
61 64.89%
Mac OS
11.70%
11 11.70%
Unix
0%
0 0%
Solaris
0%
0 0%
BSD
0%
0 0%
Aros
0%
0 0%
Haiku
0%
0 0%
BeOS
0%
0 0%
other (please specify)
2.13%
2 2.13%
Total 94 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Which OS do you prefer?

Hi Xonotic Community,
Which operating system you use and why?

I use Xubuntu x64 linux for game because reactions are much better than other Linux distributions or Windows,better stability, quality, support, clarity, creativity and appearance

(04-13-2010, 08:49 AM)od@r Wrote: Hi Xonotic Community,
Which operating system you use and why?

I use Xubuntu x64 linux for game because reactions are much better than other Linux distributions or Windows,better stability, quality, support, clarity, creativity and appearance

hummm... windows.
Do I suck? Maybe... but proud of it Tongue
Fat.bot.Slim

Ubuntu 32bit because is fast and good looking. Plus, it has a large community that is ready to jump in and help you out when you have problems and it has good hardware support. Smile

(04-13-2010, 09:06 AM)Aleator Wrote: Ubuntu 32bit because is fast and good looking. Plus, it has a large community that is ready to jump in and help you out when you have problems and it has good hardware support. Smile

I agree with you, xubuntu is ubuntu but basically used as a desktop environment xfce Smile
(04-13-2010, 08:55 AM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: hummm... windows.
Do I suck? Maybe... but proud of it Tongue

You can also try Linux, many people will say nice things about Linux, and even as a multiboot you could also use linux and windows together Smile

Anything with a source-based package manager. For now it's Gentoo Linux.
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

(04-13-2010, 09:33 AM)naryl Wrote: Anything with a source-based package manager. For now it's Gentoo Linux.

May i ask you what reactions to this Linux distribution have Nexuiz / Xonotic?

Windows, because I cant be arsed using any sort of Linux.

Mac OSX because its easy and good for my study. (graphic/media design)

openSUSE is the one i tend to use.. If you want a reasonably simple and slick KDE distro its one of the best. Far better than Kubuntu to my mind.

Ubuntu is very good as a gnome distro.. I have the 64 bit Ubuntu 10.04 beta on my laptop and its very nice and trouble free. Gone are the old Ubuntu issues such as getting flash going properly on 64 bit versions and pulseaudio issues when playing on wine. I honestly hard to fault it if you want something user friendly and to use gnome.

Ah, Sep, you miss out.. XD FTR: I use ubuntu.. Though i'm at home at several linux distros..
He can talk the talk, but can he caulk the caulk?

Arch Linux with KDE for me, x86,
I use it because I love pkgbuilds and yaourt, and because I have a baseless distaste for gnome and Ubuntu.

Your question fail, as it lacks an important premise.. Wichi OS do I preffer, _for what use_?

On count:
2 windows desktop computers
1 ubuntu laptop
1 debian laptop
2 ubuntu servers
41 debian servers
4 Cisco IOS routers
1 MS-DOS/NT workstaion, for those ooold games (and for the real GUS, of cource)
1 debian volvo.. as soon as I can finish it, that is...

i use arch linux. install it up from core utilities, end up with a very minimal setup. up-to-date repos and rolling releases means i don't have to reinstall ubuntu every 6 months. Big Grin
[Image: weirdsig2.png]
emesde

Ubuntu 10.04 64bit, but good god is ubuntu going in the shitter.

Linux Mint Gloria 64 bit with pulseaudio stripped out
before that I was running Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty 64 until 9.10 #@$'d everything up
and just over a year ago was dual booting Windows XP with Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy 32.

I've always preferred GNOME over KDE and other window managers.

Fedora 12 x86_64 desktop, Ubuntu 9.10 IA32 laptop

Smile 
Kubuntu 9.10 with KDE trunk build. The game runs nice, still, I wanted to try running the game in its own X session (that is without logging into gdm/kdm) so that the game can enjoy all resources. Anybody any idea how to do this?

(04-13-2010, 05:11 PM)tChr Wrote: Your question fail, as it lacks an important premise.. Wichi OS do I preffer, _for what use_?

something means to give preference to have its own reasons and this is the question of why this system Smile ,but thx...
(04-13-2010, 08:47 PM)Taiyo.uk Wrote: Fedora 12 x86_64 desktop, Ubuntu 9.10 IA32 laptop

I tried Fedora, this is an excellent system, but it seemed to me that the problems of packages and their installation and the problems of the drivers for graphics and multimedia codecs,do you have tip for this please? thx Smile
(04-13-2010, 12:34 PM)kay Wrote: Mac OSX because its easy and good for my study. (graphic/media design)

Kay,you can install macOS on PC too , like linux or windows Smile

I has stuff on top of linux: on mah two laptops + stationary, on mah server, on mah routers, mah phones (openmoko and another one).

There is room for improvement though, like my watch, my household appliances, tv, camera and so on.

But yes, anything that abides the GNU/GPL or is compatible. Like in life and society, I like the idea of freedom with or under restrictions, since this benefit the community, mankind as an whole. Not just an corporate entity, designed for amassing individual profit with no individual responsibility.

(04-14-2010, 02:33 AM)paperclips Wrote: But yes, anything that abides the GNU/GPL or is compatible. Like in life and society, I like the idea of freedom with or under restrictions, since this benefit the community, mankind as an whole. Not just an corporate entity, designed for amassing individual profit with no individual responsibility.

Well said.

P.S.: watch out for Lucid Lynx, it will have a music store incorporated in Rhythmbox. Smile

BSD unix systems are also very good but I do not have with these distribution experience, someone have troubleshooting tips for installing graphics drivers or multimedia codecs?

xubuntu 9.10 64bit

has everything i need. 3D. 2D. Audio. Video.

...blender is much faster on 64bit linux machines ;]
"all your signature are belong to us"

(04-14-2010, 01:51 AM)od@r Wrote:
(04-13-2010, 08:47 PM)Taiyo.uk Wrote: Fedora 12 x86_64 desktop, Ubuntu 9.10 IA32 laptop

I tried Fedora, this is an excellent system, but it seemed to me that the problems of packages and their installation and the problems of the drivers for graphics and multimedia codecs,do you have tip for this please? thx Smile

Heh, the only driver issue I have with F12 is that that catalyst doesn't support the version of xorg in F12, and won't until ummm... version 10.4 I think. The OSS driver works, though it is experimental, slow and not feature-complete. For codecs, add the rpmfusion repos and grab all the gstreamer-plugins packages. The good, the bad, the ugly, the nonfree and the ffmpeg.

i prefer a system that is robust, secure, customizable, easy to maintain, self-repairing, fast, work-efficient, feature-rich, with lots of available software, that i can configure and share and make easily available from everywhere around the world and that lets me rename or copy files, even when they are in use by another application. The Gentoo-based Sabayon comes somewhat close to that description, though i keep running into bugs (that can be fixed or bypassed) and speed issues. (Using it on an older Acer notebook (yes, THAT Acer notebook!) and an eeepc.)
4m038105 - Be the change.

Kubuntu amd64 - cause I like Linux, I like KDE4, I like debian-like distros, I like to be in control & I absolutely hate Micro$oft :-).
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Quake 3 Client should I use? Beagle 6 8,361 07-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  Which Mouse? Ch4mp 24 18,772 06-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  You know you've played too much Xonotic when... [AP]Sniperz 45 42,338 10-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Last Post: asyyy
  In which people do not argue about ammo types Harmata 41 35,094 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  You'll thank me when you read click on this thread...trust me .Danny. 20 26,501 08-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Which headset? Maddin 19 18,455 07-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Last Post: aport
  what would you do if you were in my situation with this laptop jacob 13 11,158 02-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Last Post: tZork
  HTC Evo 3D vs. Samsung Galaxy S 2 - which one? Minkovsky 8 8,471 08-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Last Post: edh
  Which antivirus? Minkovsky 17 13,068 06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Friskydingo