Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Nex

Was browsing esreality briefly today and came across this.

http://www.esreality.com/post/2586228/pr...nyhopping/

http://nexfps.com/

Anyone can share some more light, or seen this?

Here's a video showing some of the movement mechanics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVP1en-H1ZM#t=55

Wall clamp anyone? Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NYJ935xPv0

Second video shows the movement combined together a bit.

Thoughts?
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

The name is bad, due to not the best reputation of Nexuiz. However they did not know about that game even.

This has way too much movement "styles" I believe .. it's like "let's throw everything from arena FPS games around into it".
And no health/armor pickups seems weird in first place.

I do like the tutorial level/video much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwxutxn5pu0

I guess it's going to be a niche shooter like Xonotic, Warsow (they got Greenlight as well) and QuakeLive will stay superior in this genre.

Why on earth did they call it Nex, I would change it if I were them, it gives the impression that they associate themselves with nex/xon games.

We can't sue them for trademark violation because we don't own the trademark. Perhaps Lee Vermeulen might want to know about this.

(Disclaimer: while I'm affiliated with the xonotic team, this message is not to be taken as representative of the team's opinion on the matter)

Their name is based on the Latin word, which means "death/murder".

The trademark is "Nexuiz" and not "Nex" ?

(04-22-2014, 01:00 PM)Mirio Wrote: Their name is based on the Latin word, which means "death/murder".

Arguably it could cover "Nex", I really don't know a lot about trademark law. Would you think calling a game "Nexuip" would be okay for example? Where do you draw the line?

Two devs, yet they only look for more artist? Just a bit skeptical how realistic this project is.

(04-22-2014, 01:30 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(04-22-2014, 01:00 PM)Mirio Wrote: Their name is based on the Latin word, which means "death/murder".

Arguably it could cover "Nex", I really don't know a lot about trademark law. Would you think calling a game "Nexuip" would be okay for example? Where do you draw the line?

Probably divVerent or merlijn know best. However I think using a Latin word seems fine to me, cause they don't even want to be related to Nexuiz.
But law can be ridiculous sometimes. Smile

Looks good but it remains to be seen how it will stand out from the crowd. I'm talking Warsow, Nexuiz, Xonotic, Red Eclipse, Open Arena, Quake Live, etc.

I like the way they did the tutorial and some of the movement options (i.e. wall climbing, jumping and clinging) seem quite cool. The models and the art style look fresh too which is kinda cool.

(04-22-2014, 01:00 PM)Mirio Wrote: The trademark is "Nexuiz" and not "Nex" ?

The problem is not in the trademarks, but in the community relations to Nexuiz, as "Wanna go play Nex?" has been referring to Nexuiz since 2005. What if the game was called Project Q3 or Project UT2k4? Same thing, it's just plain ignorance. However, old Nexuiz is abandoned and new commercial Nexuiz is abandoned. In all it's entirety Nexuiz isn't even that popular title, so I don't think anyone in the future community of Project Nex will acknowledge or care about the relation to Nexuiz.

We were talking about law suit there.

Like I said above, they did not even know about Nexuiz. Basically only people from Nexuiz/Xonotic really see this "connection" I think.
However it can turn out really terrible for them, since they seem to focus on people from Steam (Greenlight) and Nexuiz (IllFonic) was a disaster there.

I don't think there is lawsuit potential on here, trademark could cover nexuiz if it was made of original words that identify only the trademark but nex is hardly an original word:

nex f (genitive necis); third declension
"death, slaughter, violent death (as opposed to mors)"

That would be like Apleebee's suing Apple because they have Apple in the name(on a totally unrelated note, i am fully supportive of every company suing Apple, even for frivolous things, is fair to annoy those damn pattent trolls)

On topic,I didn't liked it and i think i won't play it, but i agree that it looks kind of cool, just not my style.
[Image: 9074.png]

Also, it seems that Nexuiz is completely dead because of THQ, and it is not on steam anymore, that's horrible, they didn't even bother to re-release it?
Nexuiz series has literally the weirdest history.

This Nex thing looks to me like UT-ified Warsow, cartoonish, walljump, the only original thing is clamping on the wall which doesn't really look all that amazing for a general game mechanic. Why would you want to hang in the air, maybe to confuse someone but it just makes you an easy target.

Yes, their thing about "We are the awesome arenafps to out shadow all others" is very annoying. They try to look like the only and the best in its area, without noticing all the others,like us, Warsaw etc... They don't refer to it at all becouse people will look and see that they are ripping off anything, and are not that good at all. Their attempt to attract people who are not familiar to the genre to it seem naive to me.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Apparently they will be implementing bunnyhopping as well.

Also, I'm liking the 00's looks of the map design.

Edit: Yeah well heres the video in case you didn't check kojn's link.

The lead dev in this ESR thread reminds me of someone here actually. Wink

"It was released on Easter so its bunnyhopping" .. nice

No, actually none of us even looked at it, we started ctritsizing it reflexively.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Unrelated to the game itself or its developers, but I'm laughing at the comments on ESR trying to explain strafing by analogy with real physics.

Smilecythe Wrote:Apparently they will be implementing bunnyhopping as well.

http://youtu.be/FE5fPeHqr98

The level design looks quite ok imo.

The bunnyhopping reminds me of PainKiller Big Grin
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X8bt3zzpT4)

Without the bunnyhopping- or the strafing technique, jumping around just looks weird. The wall gliding and dodging element reminds me a lot of Red Eclipse. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v8fCD0pjYA)

Moderator edit: fixed URL for you :o)

Agree with Smilecythe, someone suggested this on ESR that why not have a "sprint" button or basically move fast by default if it should not require any skill to move fast. Also, anybody know if they got funding from somewhere (e.i is it a professionally developed game, or just side-project)? If not, why the heck is it proprietary? o.o

Before starting off my response to this post. First let me say thank you for taking the time kojin^ for post our game on the forums here. However it might be against the rules seeing as its a rival product in a sense. Either way, thanks a ton.

I actually really, really like Xonotic. The bunnyhopping system that was implemented was inspired by Xonotic. I even ordered our programming team download Xonotic to discuss with them all of the things we liked in your game to see what we could build off of. And publicly and in a recent video (not the ESR one) we just recorded I even complimented your game and how its influenced us.

I respect Xonotic still as a game, but the team behind it just lost my respect personally for the rude and unwarranted comments presented in this thread.

Though, its a shame. People are going to BM you, especially when you are a team really trying to do something different and unique. Our game is getting a lot of unwarranted hate and disrespect, that honestly, I don't think we deserve.

But I know our project is going in the right direction. And the esports investors and organizations who we are in talks with agree.

(04-22-2014, 07:40 AM)Mirio Wrote: The name is bad, due to not the best reputation of Nexuiz. However they did not know about that game even.

This has way too much movement "styles" I believe .. it's like "let's throw everything from arena FPS games around into it".
And no health/armor pickups seems weird in first place.

I do like the tutorial level/video much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwxutxn5pu0

I guess it's going to be a niche shooter like Xonotic, Warsaw (they got Greenlight as well) and QuakeLive will stay superior in this genre.

One thing I can agree on 100% is the name. Its still a hotly debated topic amonst the team. What I can say is to think of it a project name and not a final one.

There are powerups and pickups throughout the map. We just got to explaining some of that in a video I'm currently editing right now. What I will say is that its 100% unique to us in the context of an arena shooter. Nobody has tried what we are doing in that context. If you are interested follow us on reddit.com/r/projectnex to get a notification when its up. I don't want to advertise our product here like that out of respect for the devs.

Correct! That was initially the reasoning for the name because when we planned to also have a SP campaign it fit with the story.

Law wise we are in the green to use Nex. It doesn't step on Nexuiz.
(04-22-2014, 02:08 PM)machine! Wrote: Two devs, yet they only look for more artist? Just a bit skeptical how realistic this project is.

Actually we have a programming team of three right now. All but one less experienced programmer (boy holy damn does that guy sponge up information) have 8+ years of professional experience. One main netcode programmer, and the other two help out here and there. One to program the game itself, and the third programmer ties it all together. Our programming team right now is lightyears ahead of the art team, which is rare for indie games.

We're looking for more artists because many times people only really make a model for you and then just disappear. Thankfully we just hired a part time modeller out of pocket for weapons. And we have some awesome concept artists, but we haven't showed much concepting yet.

Here is our shield gun we just have near completion: (We also got Marmoset for Unity, so I can't wait to mess with it so that we can achieve a look just like what you can see here)
This is the low poly model, 5k, 4096px textures which will be brought down to 2048. But we are using Amplify Texture so maybe we can get away with the crazy res at no ram overhead. Hm, not sure, we'll see.
[Image: QnoiN9Dl.jpg]
(mod edit: image resize, click on it for full)

I have high standards and will turn away free help if its mediocre. As the art director, my job is to make the game look good by guiding the artists. They are the inhabitants in a vehicle on the highway, and I'm the GPS system getting them to their destination system. And I need artists in the same vehicle and not in a different car on the other hemisphere.

If our team didn't have the talent it has, our goal would be unrealistic. But thankfully we have some incredibly awesome, kind dedicated people on our team.

(04-23-2014, 05:27 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: Apparently they will be implementing bunnyhopping as well.

Edit: Yeah well heres the video in case you didn't check kojn's link.

We are going to release another video explaining how bhopping is really going to be implemented. This was more of a proof of concept rather than a final project. We just tried to be more transparent, and sadly we'll have to reduce the opacity on the transparency node in the material editor it seems.

The map style is oldschool, but not sure if it will stay that way or not. If we have to go BSP that's fine, but if funding allows, I want mesh based design. We'll see. Either way, thanks for the compliments. Big Grin

(04-24-2014, 12:18 AM)aa Wrote: No, actually none of us even looked at it, we started ctritsizing it reflexively.

That's a shame. You should always keep your eyes on the competition. Criticize all you want. Because your rude, unwarranted, negative attitude towards us for no reason makes me want to crush the competition even more. You can keep that elitist attitude, but we at Nex don't put ourselves above anyone in such a manner.

This elitist "I'm an arena FPS fan, everyone else sucks" attitude is what keeps producing dead games like Xonotic and Warsaw (even though they are great games, and I do mean that). Nex is inclusive to everyone. None of on the team personally think that we are superior to everyone else. I've sat and watched most of the videos all of our competition has to offer. I respect them, you never know if suddenly they are going to make something great. And you nudging us off like this shows overconfidence and arrogance.

If our extremely successful Greenlight shows anything, its that this is a product a significant amount of people want. Titanfall proves to me that the general gamer just wants cool 'parkour' movements to do around the map and to shoot things. Our game delivers that on the lower levels, but so much more on the competitive aspects. We're making a video explaining this in detail, I jsut got to get back to editing it.

Anywho, thanks for your time everyone,
Antonio

This thread just got a lot more interesting.
We (I) are not saying that using the name Nex is wrong or illegal, its just that it sends a wrong message. There's a crapload of people who are familiar with name Nexuiz even if it doesn't stand much for anything today.

AFAIK, people in this thread are not Xonotic devs(except for mirio), but I don't know whether you want to hear devs' opinion Big Grin.

And about disrespecting thing, you are ambitious and that's nice but its still a bit early and you are calling yourself next generation and esports and stuff while you haven't figured out the basic game mechanics... we'll see

And you shouldn't have mentioned Titanfall. At all.

(04-26-2014, 07:13 PM)PrettyAwesome Wrote: I actually really, really like Xonotic. The bunnyhopping system that was implemented was inspired by Xonotic. I even ordered our programming team download Xonotic to discuss with them all of the things we liked in your game to see what we could build off of. And publicly and in a recent video (not the ESR one) we just recorded I even complimented your game and how its influenced us.

I respect Xonotic still as a game, but the team behind it just lost my respect personally for the rude and unwarranted comments presented in this thread.

Though, its a shame. People are going to BM you, especially when you are a team really trying to do something different and unique. Our game is getting a lot of unwarranted hate and disrespect, that honestly, I don't think we deserve.

It's called expressing an opinion, and if you cannot tolerate us using that very same right you provide ALL of us by posting your stuff up on the internet, then you're too weak-skinned for this. hell, if you can't take a small forum of dudes who play an open-source project's criticism without getting snobbish and quickly blaming it on their prejudice, instead of trying to correct some of their assumptions or win them over, you sure as hell aren't ready for global reception of your product. not at all.

(04-26-2014, 07:13 PM)PrettyAwesome Wrote: But I know our project is going in the right direction. And the esports investors and organizations who we are in talks with agree.

names?

(04-26-2014, 07:13 PM)PrettyAwesome Wrote: One thing I can agree on 100% is the name. Its still a hotly debated topic amonst the team. What I can say is to think of it a project name and not a final one.

it's bad. it's only 3 letters with a predictable first one, small, forgettable. If you are releasing for a long-dead genre, no matter what market, your name better be good. I would suggest something with pretty much nothing else associated, likely not a word in the dictionary - if you will build a story off of these suits, do the name off of it too (titanfall)

(04-26-2014, 07:13 PM)PrettyAwesome Wrote: If you are interested follow us on reddit.com/r/projectnex to get a notification when its up. I don't want to advertise our product here like that out of respect for the devs.

why? you need all the publicity you can get

(04-26-2014, 07:13 PM)PrettyAwesome Wrote: Actually we have a programming team of three right now. All but one less experienced programmer (boy holy damn does that guy sponge up information) have 8+ years of professional experience. One main netcode programmer, and the other two help out here and there. One to program the game itself, and the third programmer ties it all together. Our programming team right now is lightyears ahead of the art team, which is rare for indie games.

We're looking for more artists because many times people only really make a model for you and then just disappear. Thankfully we just hired a part time modeller out of pocket for weapons. And we have some awesome concept artists, but we haven't showed much concepting yet.

Here is our shield gun we just have near completion: (We also got Marmoset for Unity, so I can't wait to mess with it so that we can achieve a look just like what you can see here)
This is the low poly model, 5k, 4096px textures which will be brought down to 2048. But we are using Amplify Texture so maybe we can get away with the crazy res at no ram overhead. Hm, not sure, we'll see.

I have high standards and will turn away free help if its mediocre. As the art director, my job is to make the game look good by guiding the artists. They are the inhabitants in a vehicle on the highway, and I'm the GPS system getting them to their destination system. And I need artists in the same vehicle and not in a different car on the other hemisphere.

If our team didn't have the talent it has, our goal would be unrealistic. But thankfully we have some incredibly awesome, kind dedicated people on our team.

so.. only programmers and artists, one group of which is not on the same page as the other? three, instead of two, a big increase? you are planning a commercial release when, exactly? and who directs the programmers? there is a hell of a lot more shit to code in a game than netcode and "the game" - very general, and if one person did the almost the entirety of "the game" then it would take very very very long before you had anything close to release ready within the next few years even.

(04-26-2014, 07:13 PM)PrettyAwesome Wrote: We are going to release another video explaining how bhopping is really going to be implemented. This was more of a proof of concept rather than a final project. We just tried to be more transparent, and sadly we'll have to reduce the opacity on the transparency node in the material editor it seems.

The map style is oldschool, but not sure if it will stay that way or not. If we have to go BSP that's fine, but if funding allows, I want mesh based design. We'll see. Either way, thanks for the compliments. Big Grin

i personally liked more the tiled style you showed off in the first video more - i'm assuming there is something wrong with the lighting in that video, it doesn't seem right there.
and i will have to agree with other people - you are just packing in movement techniques without thinking about how all this wall stuff and bunnyhopping stuff and strafing and double jumping comes together; desperately trying to appeal to all by being "unique" in having crammed everything ever possible in one game isn't a good kind of unique, don't you think?
and if you are thinking about how it comes together, then i would disagree with your assessment..

(04-26-2014, 07:13 PM)PrettyAwesome Wrote: That's a shame. You should always keep your eyes on the competition. Criticize all you want. Because your rude, unwarranted, negative attitude towards us for no reason makes me want to crush the competition even more. You can keep that elitist attitude, but we at Nex don't put ourselves above anyone in such a manner.

This elitist "I'm an arena FPS fan, everyone else sucks" attitude is what keeps producing dead games like Xonotic and Warsaw (even though they are great games, and I do mean that). Nex is inclusive to everyone. None of on the team personally think that we are superior to everyone else. I've sat and watched most of the videos all of our competition has to offer. I respect them, you never know if suddenly they are going to make something great. And you nudging us off like this shows overconfidence and arrogance.

overconfidence at what? we're not in the market with you. we have less at stake, a small fanbase already, and the opensource community has little to nothing to do with how much money is coming in and coming out, and whether we can put food on the table, unlike yours. so consider it a gift that we try and criticize you, prepare you for what you will recieve, if you do happen to come into the mainstream spotlight, instead of this.

(04-26-2014, 07:13 PM)PrettyAwesome Wrote: That'sIf our extremely successful Greenlight shows anything, its that this is a product a significant amount of people want. Titanfall proves to me that the general gamer just wants cool 'parkour' movements to do around the map and to shoot things. Our game delivers that on the lower levels, but so much more on the competitive aspects. We're making a video explaining this in detail, I jsut got to get back to editing it.

if you attempt to sum up the "general gamer" demographic (which doesn't exist, btw, any term with that vague of a terminology shows you cannot pinpoint really who you are trying to appeal to) in one sentence, you will fail. this is why you need more people on your team, my friend.

oh, and btw, we are part of the "competitive" market that you want to appeal to (or do you, since you only seem to care for the "general gamer" in that paragraph back then?), you'd think you'd have a bit more care for us and how we recieved your product initially; a poor choice to act high and mighty instead.

I genuinely look forward to the possibility i will be proved wrong, that your product turns out excellent, and i wish you luck.

Love,
me

(04-26-2014, 07:13 PM)PrettyAwesome Wrote: I respect Xonotic still as a game, but the team behind it just lost my respect personally for the rude and unwarranted comments presented in this thread.

Where? Only a few dislikes about certain things, but not "hururururur THIS SUCKS". Also positive comments.

The only sentence I see is where I quote you, however it's not meant negatively. It's just that our lead developer creates similar sentences, that I enjoy. Smile

Anywaaaaaaaaaaaay,
feel free to post updates here, we have nothing against it! And this is a very friendly community after all, you won't find the ESR hate here. We got the same hate there. Also we are not dead, cause we're not even alive yet (0.8 to come across soon)!

You may want to guide some free artist (models) to us.. Big Grin

Is there any IRC channel actually?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Project X-RAY! zeroql 5 6,295 10-12-2015, 03:06 PM
Last Post: aa
  PROJECT: Dota 2 for Linux Exitium 7 12,522 07-10-2013, 01:18 AM
Last Post: Loafers
  ES Core - new project by Timothee Besset Majki 1 3,666 05-13-2013, 02:20 AM
Last Post: machine!
  Help support a new indie project! Samual 2 11,459 12-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Last Post: unfa
  misc: game-engine project... BGB 9 10,688 09-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Last Post: BGB
  The Achavela Project - a proposal for free, Pokemon-style game Minkovsky 3 5,369 12-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  A new "strange fork" project from Nexuiz BARTUC 11 15,272 11-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Last Post: rainerzufalldererste
  Fee Nex is NOT using Dark Places engine Lee_Stricklin 17 16,164 07-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Last Post: tux9656