Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Halogene's Newbie Corner - Comprehensive Tutorial

[Image: newbie-corner-banner2-800x239.png]

Good news everyone! I have updated, revised and combined the previous Newbie Corner blog posts and generated a comprehensive Newbie Tutorial out of them. Initially I wanted to post the result here, but it turned out to be too much to be comfortably readable for a single blog post. So Samual came up with the idea to put it onto the wiki, where I can easily update it whenever needed – and so I did.

New features include (but are not limited to)
  • an illustrated bunny hopping section with a step by step illustration of strafe turning,
  • showing ramp jumps on the map Glowplant, and
  • Crylink running added to crylink description!

You can access the entire Tutorial here. Enjoy!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Everyone read this. Now.

Good job. Wink

Nice, awesome work! Big Grin

You never cease to amaze me with your tremendous effort to help newcomers and other community members! An excelent work! Man, give us a chance, okey? 10/10 O_o

Great work, and an awesome base upon which others can build!
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Thank you everybody for the positive comments - it's you who make me do this Cool
My Xonstats Profile

Nice read!

In weapons>laser there is not correcly shown "<em>other</em>"

Thanks proraide! Fixed.
My Xonstats Profile

Was very useful to me when I first started. A must read.
[Image: 38443.png]

Thumbs Up 
A very good made tutorial (or guideTongue) that every single newcomer must read !!

*Without doubts, it's very helpful, for every single aspect of the game*
[Image: 69200.png]

This tutorial is the most complete one I've ever seen for a multiplayer game and I'm not exaggerating. Wink

Thank you very much for the feedback, appreciated!
My Xonstats Profile

You can now link to the Newbie Corner using xonotic.org/tut, it'll automatically redirect to the wiki page. The idea is to have something short that server admins can use in MOTDs, welcome messages or tips so players have to expend as little effort as possible (only to by blown away be the tutorial's comprehensivness Wink ).

Similarly, xonotic.org/oktut works for the Overkill Tutorial.
[Image: 30381.jpg]

<packer> when i see martin-t's name my blood pressure increases

<[BOT]Hоtdоg> anyone here lives near martin?
<[BOT]Hоtdоg> will pay monies for shooting him

(04-25-2014, 06:41 AM)Justin Wrote: You never cease to amaze me with your tremendous effort to help newcomers and other community members! An excelent work! Man, give us a chance, okey? 10/10 O_o

Way cool. being away a long time and venturing thru that echo of past - finding that other game Ops nexuiz then driving thru truth to seeing this incredible journey by all those incredible gamers to suit up and create work all this - WOW. Blown away by it all. So okay I'll skin my own as reNubie gee just created a new term.. Trying to get my head around Server setup and all - I did create a Build a Server on Linux with Code script - it works for me in all sure but - now the growing pain is trying to learn the ability to control add remove maybe even take a stab at mapCreation. The biggy find now is that so many links nothing much to examples of use - to much of this work "No Longer work" The plethora of Maps where - the ability to find the right tools to add remove change maps on a server " Links tap that - Error 404 not found - quite the joy to spending time researching coming up Blank effort - Is there a common ground one can venture too in finding this held information and obtaining good info and links that one can get to these maps and keep on fragging is the request to venture.. Help.

I'm curious how the tournament champions manage to win the trophy! Looks like that someone has his own key bindings and better reflexes to move easily during the matches. 
I read this guide long ago, in the Picmip and Simple Items section is very useful for people who are using low performance in their PCs! And I still use it in cases where a low-requirement computers don't go above 60 FPS.

(07-15-2020, 02:47 PM)LegendGuard Wrote: I'm curious how the tournament champions manage to win the trophy! Looks like that someone has his own key bindings and better reflexes to move easily during the matches. 

Xonotic is a very humbling game for me. Yes, there are people out there with better reflexes, faster thinking, and smarter strategies.

And yes, I believe most veterans have their own keybinds. The default keybinds are easier to learn and remember, but very inconvenient during a fast game play.

(07-15-2020, 11:54 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: And yes, I believe most veterans have their own keybinds. The default keybinds are easier to learn and remember, but very inconvenient during a fast game play.

Indeed. Only few people are crazy enough to do weapon comboing with mouse wheel switching on a pro level (nudge nudge, Mirio). That's why I also recommend to set up binds that feel convenient to you: https://xonotic.org/guide/#keyboard-setup
My Xonstats Profile

[quote pid='86218' dateline='1594912317']

Indeed. Only few people are crazy enough to do weapon comboing with mouse wheel switching on a pro level (nudge nudge, Mirio).
[/quote]

Hm, I like the mouse wheel switching.  Otherwise, I'd need to use foot buttons on the floor to do switching, my other fingers are busy.
iMac OS Monterey 12.1
Xonotic 0.8.2 autobuild

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 6: Optimizing Perception Halogene 11 15,948 11-11-2013, 04:22 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering Antibody 22 29,792 04-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Last Post: ZosKiaKultus
  Halogene's Newbie Corner Part 5: Gameplay Tips Halogene 3 8,207 02-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 4: The Core Weapons Halogene 8 13,463 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 3: Ramp Jumping Halogene 6 11,107 01-09-2013, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Justin
  Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 1: Bunny Hopping Antibody 15 21,863 09-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Cortez666
  Shotgun Tutorial Antibody 14 17,252 10-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Samual