Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quake 3 on iPad and Xono ?

Question 
You can now play Quake 3 Arena on iPad, why it will jailbreak the touch pad for Apple to go through Cydia to enjoy the game one works even in the beta version of IOS 4.2

The game is playable solo or multiplayer and it is also possible to add their own mods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozsPZ9C15...r_embedded

Xonotic on iOS ?

en : http://www.9to5mac.com/34141/full-screen...-via-cydia
fr : http://www.begeek.fr/quake-3-arena-dispo...ipad-24474
Awesome, did Qz show you that ?
Nexuiz : I Reach the top5 of the ladder (even top3 I guess). Top1 French for quite some time (when active) of ladder. Top5 of some tournaments (if I remember well)

hmm... Darkplaces on iPad would be a good idea!

Does anybody know if the licence of Xonotic could be ok with the Apple AppStore conditions ?

(read the recent problem with VLC on the AppStore)
Nexuiz : I Reach the top5 of the ladder (even top3 I guess). Top1 French for quite some time (when active) of ladder. Top5 of some tournaments (if I remember well)

Cube (the original game) is already ported to iPhone, and it's GPL licensed. I'm sure there shouldn't be big problems, maybe just minor things.

(11-16-2010, 12:49 PM)Exitium Wrote: Cube (the original game) is already ported to iPhone, and it's GPL licensed. I'm sure there shouldn't be big problems, maybe just minor things.
Thank you.
The game was ported by a developer of Cube2. http://fernlightning.com/doku.php?id=iphone:cube:start

The Source code is here : http://fernlightning.com/doku.php?id=iph...ource_code

And if I got the project to port xonotic on iOS, any crazy dev to help me ?

Edit : Porting topic : http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1201

Can you imagine how hard it would be to play a casual match, much less a competitive match on the iPad/iPod touch?

fps with ipad ----> useless IMHO

No way to play in serious way ... keyboard and mouse rulez
[Image: bartucnexuiz.png]

(11-20-2010, 03:28 PM)master[mind] Wrote: Can you imagine how hard it would be to play a casual match, much less a competitive match on the iPad/iPod touch?
(11-20-2010, 04:58 PM)BARTUC Wrote: fps with ipad ----> useless IMHO

No way to play in serious way ... keyboard and mouse rulez
Do you ever played a fps on iphone or ipad ?
This is exactly like most FPS games console, namely, a dual-stick control. Some games use the accelerometer, but I do not like.

I am the first to say that the only control to properly play a FPS is the mouse and keyboard. That's not the point.
To port Xonotic on iOS, it's just a way to make the game accessible to the mobile world. It's in the mentality of Xonotic reach as many players as possible (ie the windows, osx and linux compatibility). That's why I think Xonotic should not be limited to computers, but open to the mobile world.

to port it to iOS you need to make all textures SMALL; all Models LOWPOLY; everything BAD!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(11-21-2010, 09:52 AM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote: to port it to iOS you need to make all textures SMALL; all Models LOWPOLY; everything BAD!

if you would do some research then you would find that you technically can go up to a texture size of 2048x2048 (on the iPad and the newer iphone generations), which also the set limit for xonotic textures. But most of the xonotic textures are smaller
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(11-21-2010, 10:42 AM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(11-21-2010, 09:52 AM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote: to port it to iOS you need to make all textures SMALL; all Models LOWPOLY; everything BAD!

if you would do some research then you would find that you technically can go up to a texture size of 2048x2048 (on the iPad and the newer iphone generations), which also the set limit for xonotic textures. But most of the xonotic textures are smaller

I repeat, I know that xonotic iOS will be not good as the desktop version. It's just to bring Xonotic to mobility.
And Cortez was right. See that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ncmwgJzqw&feature=fvst

But your assuming the iPad could render 2048x2048 textures effectively. In iPad development world, it's used for games that only need 10fps.
The iPad would choke on any shader's or particle effects.

(11-21-2010, 09:27 PM)master[mind] Wrote: But your assuming the iPad could render 2048x2048 textures effectively. In iPad development world, it's used for games that only need 10fps.
The iPad would choke on any shader's or particle effects.

particle effects have to be reduced to a quake 3 level, but the texture can stay at the current level. They are mostly 512x512 and 1024x1024. You need only 30 fps.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(11-13-2010, 11:33 AM)SkyHookers Wrote: hmm... Darkplaces on iPad would be a good idea!

Such games as Quake 3, Darkplaces, and first person shooters in general were never meant to be played on such devices. I highly doubt you guys even played Q3 on iOS, because I have, and it wasn't even remotely enjoyable. It took me like 20 minutes to complete the first map on the lowest skill level (my fingers hurt hard after that), and I wasn't able to get into the menu due to lack of controls, I had to kill the process in order to quit. So why do you think porting Darkplaces to iPad would be a "good idea"? The game would be unplayable, maximum you could do with it is to spectate tournament matches. In my opinion, a darkplaces port for iOS would be alot like most of apple production is: fun, but nearly useless.

(11-21-2010, 11:10 AM)PGP_Qz Wrote:

I repeat, I know that xonotic iOS will be not good as the desktop version. It's just to bring Xonotic to mobility.
And Cortez was right. See that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ncmwgJzqw&feature=fvst

??? I'm not sure I can believe that, the GPU in the iPhone/iPad is anywhere near acceptable for that demo. Offset and normal maps? I have a feeling that the reflection is duplicated geometry on a transparent floor. Sorry, but the iPhone can't even handle rendering it's own GUI smoothly, much less adding loads of shader effects...I guess I'd have to see that for realz. Big Grin

(11-23-2010, 05:37 AM)Akari Wrote: fun, but nearly useless.

Sounds like the definition of most games.
4m038105 - Be the change.

Cube has its own engine... and it runs at 30fps max with minimal settings on iphone/ipad. I doubt Xonotic will run correctly on it.

(11-21-2010, 09:43 AM)PGP_Qz Wrote: Do you ever played a fps on iphone or ipad ?

No i never played fps on Ipad because the ipad is just a tablet not a gaming platform.
I ( absolutly ) need my Roccat and my Zboard to play every game Smile

(11-21-2010, 09:43 AM)PGP_Qz Wrote: I am the first to say that the only control to properly play a FPS is the mouse and keyboard. That's not the point.
To port Xonotic on iOS, it's just a way to make the game accessible to the mobile world. It's in the mentality of Xonotic reach as many players as possible (ie the windows, osx and linux compatibility). That's why I think Xonotic should not be limited to computers, but open to the mobile world.

This is a good reason and a good idea .... btw i think imho some games must be played on some devices like Pc and not mobile device like iphone or ipad.
First of all the control ... i see quake 3 arena started on iphone ... well it was orribile to see the player moves around in dm6.
Real horrible ... no control and the strafe was not possibile .. even the shot was hard and, last but not the last for relevance, the accuracy was zero-like.

Btw i think ipad is good platform for web surf but absoluty not for gaming.
Of course this is my pov.
[Image: bartucnexuiz.png]

I play FPS since doom. At that time, everyone was playing only with keyboard. And it did not detract from the fun. Quake 3 is not a good example because is just a technical achievement.

But for all the haterz:
HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED N.O.V.A. or Brother in arms on the iPhone / iPad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcjxYPflk...re=channel

I do, and they are very good FPS!
Someone is with me for Development? =)

(11-24-2010, 12:52 PM)PGP_Qz Wrote: But for all the haterz:

i have played Brother in arms on the pc and iphone. My main problem with game was it wasnt that tactical anymore. iPhone / iPad games are always a kind of casual games.
I like the idea of xonotic version for iPhone and iPad. This version could be a good possibility to attract more people to the normal xonotic.
A bunch of maps, some different models ,some cool music and we got a cool portable of Xonotic.

if you need someone for the maps (and you stick to a quake engine), im with you Qz Smile

(11-24-2010, 06:40 PM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(11-24-2010, 12:52 PM)PGP_Qz Wrote: But for all the haterz:

i have played Brother in arms on the pc and iphone. My main problem with game was it wasnt that tactical anymore. iPhone / iPad games are always a kind of casual games.
I like the idea of xonotic version for iPhone and iPad. This version could be a good possibility to attract more people to the normal xonotic.
A bunch of maps, some different models ,some cool music and we got a cool portable of Xonotic.

if you need someone for the maps (and you stick to a quake engine), im with you Qz Smile
Thanks Cortez !
I'll make a thread in Xonotic developement part about whether people are interested in helping with this project. What we need. If it is possible. And what we will do.

I dont see this in the dev forum yet... You know iPad 2 is on the way.. Mabye is will be with better FPS controllers... (Sorry for the bump/jump but is lovelly to see this on, with custom maps archive for download to the device)

Custom maps no, they'll take lots of disk space. Remember, some people only have 16GB Smile

So You working on this, or not? I will love to see it and even play it.. its come for all i devices?

No, I'm not a devloper of this, I do not support this idea... And all iDevices, maybe no, iPhone 3G will have problems.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quake 3 mod for Minecraft neXus 2 589 02-20-2024, 02:09 AM
Last Post: Frombleasome2004
  Made a Quake Champions frag video check it out zeroql 4 4,822 08-31-2017, 09:06 PM
Last Post: SilenceKiller
  [NEED HELP] Quake maps in Xonotic Kriss7475 2 6,050 04-01-2017, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Kriss7475
  Quake 2 Railwarz instaGib CTF!!! Games 7 nights a week! bind key +hook for lazer hook MajorLazer 7 11,479 09-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Last Post: MajorLazer
  Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? VertX 32 28,594 08-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Last Post: kojn^
  Which Quake 3 Client should I use? Beagle 6 8,360 07-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Beagle
Star Serenity recreated in Quake 3 engine Greaserpirate 3 11,344 06-11-2016, 11:50 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  We can pretty much declare Quake Live dead Lee_Stricklin 21 24,718 05-31-2016, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
Photo A History of Quake (Xonotic Briefly Mentioned) qwertyuiop924 1 4,204 05-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Craziest Quake Setup SPLAT 6 10,383 06-23-2015, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin