Create an account

Poll: Like Idea?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Love it!
25.00%
2 25.00%
Some improvements :/
0%
0 0%
We don't need that!
75.00%
6 75.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[SUGGESTION] Another Menu

Star 
It could be nice to have another new menu (like multiplayer,...)
This menu could have the following content:

[MAPS]
- new ones
- highest rated
- search all maps

[DEMOS]
- 1on1
- interesting Stuff

[SCREENSHOTS]???
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

I'm confused as to what this is for. You can browse maps in 'Create' tab, view demos under 'Demos', etc.
We could include some screenshots in another folder with the download (next to data, server, Docs, extra, etc.)

No! I was thinking of all maps! their dl-links could be uploaded to a official server. Like a (m)ap(p)-store Big Grin
The same with the demos
but the demos shouldn't be all! Wink only some HOT STUFF (clan battles/ kojn vs. nowego4 xD)
MY NOOB STATS:

You man, an ingame system to download maps/demos/screens you like? Also to let users rate this 5h1+ so others can see if it's good stuff or not?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

So like a library of maps + good demos that the player can download? Sounds good to me Smile
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

(12-18-2010, 06:52 AM)ThePWTULN Wrote: So like a library of maps + good demos that the player can download? Sounds good to me Smile

Exactly Wink
MY NOOB STATS:

for the maps we could use http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/
MY NOOB STATS:

(12-14-2010, 04:24 PM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote: No! I was thinking of all maps! their dl-links could be uploaded to a official server. Like a (m)ap(p)-store Big Grin
The same with the demos
but the demos shouldn't be all! Wink only some HOT STUFF (clan battles/ kojn vs. nowego4 xD)

I think this is a bit too excessive for this kind of game.

Personally i think this could be better managed with a nice web interface and a xonotic-firefox plugin. Big Grin
He can talk the talk, but can he caulk the caulk?

(12-27-2010, 07:43 AM)lda17h Wrote: xonotic-firefox plugin. Big Grin

That requires the Xonotic kernel module.

A web browsing plugin sounds like a lot of work, instead it wouldn't be to hard to make a "Recently played" section that would browse your dlcache.

I would suggest instead to replace the original "demos" menu with one called "media" --

Where it essentially displayed multiple different types of media in sub-categories/tabs. There's only a few problems with this idea though...

#1: Screenshots really aren't possible for a menu right now. When the menu loads an image into memory, it can never unload the image.. so you essentially would fill your vram with tons and tons of images if you start browsing an image folder. Also: The images take a while to load into the memory of the menu, and this normally wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that it makes the entire menu freeze whilst doing this (as it doesn't have an extra thread to load it)

#2: Browsing maps from a repository is..... very very difficult at best. Instead I would actually go with nowego4's idea to do a "recently played" system for dlcache maps, and also to simply display ALL maps added into your data directory.. This could solve the problem of "I want to copy maps from my dlcache into my data directory" too.. but not sure if this is a good idea from a technical stand point or not.

BTW, using the xonotic autobuild-bsp system is not acceptable for such a repository. Those maps may be broken (and often are), so they need to be manually inspected to make sure they're okay.

#3: Demos which are separated in such a way... I really don't know how to do this, but maybe some kind of flag could be set by the game code explaining what type of demo it is. (Probably not, though)

All in all, we're rather stuck when it comes to this.... X_X

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] relaxed main menu Kotangens 3 3,242 08-18-2020, 07:11 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [SUGGESTION] Updating damage indicator on damage instead of creating another indicator rafallus 1 2,123 10-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Please update the menu UI. liquidjerome 5 4,267 04-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  [SUGGESTION] TIPS THAT ARE NOT IN Xonotic Menu Beagle 4 4,890 06-12-2016, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Yet another physics and balance revamp Lee_Stricklin 3 3,813 04-28-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Subfolders for the demo menu Smilecythe 3 4,617 02-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] My Variables Menu Idea rocknroll237 11 10,885 01-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Last Post: rocknroll237
  [SUGGESTION] Add stereo vision to the menu! Minkovsky 13 13,573 11-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Sarge999
  [SUGGESTION] Another One Bites The Dust! unfa 9 10,595 10-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Last Post: unfa
Video [SUGGESTION] FOTM at Menu rainerzufalldererste 10 9,504 07-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Last Post: rainerzufalldererste