Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official Xonotic soundtrack?

Booyeah!

Title says it all. There is some awesome music in this game, and I was just wondering if they could be released as a separate file (.mp3/.ogg/.whateva) so users could enjoy Xonotic soundtrack on their playlists. So all I'm asking is to make one new zipped folder containing all the music in easy-to-get-and-play format. Nothing more, nothing less.

So who thinks that this is a good idea?

I already did that! Tongue Just copied the .ogg files from the soundtracks-folder to my personal music-folder. It is easy, isn´t it?

It's always moving during development, but if you want to package it and distribute it after a release, by all means do! It's free content!

If you prefer direct links:

http://git.xonotic.org/?p=xonotic/xonoti...d/cdtracks
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

And sure, anyone who wants to, put it in "proper CD form" Wink

Just read and respect the GPL.

For distribution on audio CD, source distribution can be done by making a CD-Extra (i.e. multisession audio CD, first session = the music, second session = ISO file system with the source). The source is currently 57 MB, so this is perfectably doable at the moment.

Or a link to the repos or xonotic.org as well as the GPL would do, right? It can be on the cover, even, does not have to be on the cd itself.

A link might not be enough. Better include it, unless you have a REALLY GOOD reason not to. Better safe than sorry Tongue

If you put a link, host the source on your own so you can guarantee it'll actually stay up. Don't entrust this on third parties (like us Tongue), as it is a legal risk even if we just restructure our URLs then.

Currently the total length of the music is about 56 minutes. The source takes 57 MB, which is equivalent to less than 7 minutes on a CD. Makes a total of 63 minutes - which means you even have 11 minutes left for a standard audio CD. So I don't see a compelling reason NOT to include the source here. If you were actually space constrained, it'd be another story Tongue

(09-07-2011, 05:01 AM)divVerent Wrote: A link might not be enough. Better include it, unless you have a REALLY GOOD reason not to. Better safe than sorry Tongue

If you put a link, host the source on your own so you can guarantee it'll actually stay up. Don't entrust this on third parties (like us Tongue), as it is a legal risk even if we just restructure our URLs then.

Currently the total length of the music is about 56 minutes. The source takes 57 MB, which is equivalent to less than 7 minutes on a CD. Makes a total of 63 minutes - which means you even have 11 minutes left for a standard audio CD. So I don't see a compelling reason NOT to include the source here. If you were actually space constrained, it'd be another story Tongue

Quoting The License:

Quote: b) Convey the object code in, or embodied in, a physical product
(including a physical distribution medium), accompanied by a
written offer, valid for at least three years and valid for as
long as you offer spare parts or customer support for that product
model, to give anyone who possesses the object code either (1) a
copy of the Corresponding Source for all the software in the
product that is covered by this License, on a durable physical
medium customarily used for software interchange, for a price no
more than your reasonable cost of physically performing this
conveying of source, or (2) access to copy the
Corresponding Source from a network server at no charge.

I suppose, a URL on the box like "Get source code under GPL at: http://..." would be fine as this "written offer", as long as you make sure the URL will stay valid for 3 years. Giving them a copy of the license is still required though, and kind of inconvenient to print it on the booklet. So I suppose, the "just put the source and license as a data track on the CD" way ends up being more convenient for everyone involved.

Oh, I thought the GPL was ok with only linking to the license. I think CC does that.

But you're right, including the sources is a better idea.

my crap is on http://soundcloud.com/chooksta
its all downloadable
so if ya got mental problems , your welcome to t

t

:^

Maybe we could release it on Jamendo under CC-BY. Is that possible?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(09-07-2011, 05:23 PM)unfa Wrote: Maybe we could release it on Jamendo under CC-BY.

Afaik CC-BY is the only CC license which doesnt get along with GPL, but im not sure.

Wait for div0s reply. He knows the answer for sure.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I will.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

CC-BY doesn't imply it can be used under GPL, and vice versa.

To release under a CC license, you have to ask the author. They likely will agree though, but they must be contacted for that. As we did not ask for an exclusive license for Xonotic, and also never will require an exclusive license, they can also use it under any other license they like.

For music, GPL is roughly equivalent to CC-BY-SA-NC. For distributing it on CDs, you likely need CC-BY-SA though. Maybe offer the music authors a share of the (small) price you'd ask for the CDs (even though you CAN still do it with the GPL, when you carefully follow it, including providing source and proper credit)?

For this, you'd have to ask chooksta, sc0rp, MickRip, blkrbt. They're all likely to allow you to us a CC license - but you HAVE to ask them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music A 30-second game soundtrack I made unfa 4 5,462 06-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Last Post: unfa
  Official Music Submission Thread divVerent 45 61,521 01-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Last Post: .Danny.