Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't like this forum

or to be precise.. i dont like the forum software.. I dont know what it is.. its just not.. comfortable to use...

edit:
I think it might be somethign about the huuge chuncks of non-contene everywhere.. Is there some layout to this forum SW that puts more emphasis on the actual content?

(04-07-2010, 03:25 PM)tChr Wrote: or to be precise.. i dont like the forum software.. I dont know what it is.. its just not.. comfortable to use...

edit:
I think it might be somethign about the huuge chuncks of non-contene everywhere.. Is there some layout to this forum SW that puts more emphasis on the actual content?

Hi, at the bottom of the page, there's a "light (archive)" version, which is much better to read. Sadly it goes a little bit too much in the opposite direction. No search feature, etc.. It would be nice to have some more themes to choose from.. /me pokes -z- gently
He can talk the talk, but can he caulk the caulk?

better.. But since it also seems to be lacking "post reply", its is a tad underfeatured, yes Smile

yes. this board software really isnt this great. phpbb would be so much more appropriate.
but i think it had something todo with the wordpress integration, although i wonder why wordpress was used in the first place.
im not a great fan of canned sites.

The unfortunate reason why mybb was chosen was for easy plugin use.

I don't like any of the popular forum software. Not phpBB or anything.

But for the purposes of this game project...

MyBB is fine
Wordpress is fine

If they don't fit our needs in the future, then maybe we'll change them. It would be a while before we considered that.

My thoughts exactly.

How about RESTAS?

Here's one forum using it: http://lisper.ru/forum/common-lisp
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

Both frameworks are suitable, stable and easily modified. I'm a fan of the 'lite' archive mode, it's much faster. It shouldn't be that hard to add some small 'missing' features to the lite mode. I'm going to install a copy of this forum and mess with it soon. I'll see what I can come up with.
Latest obsession.

There's a "Default" theme in the user control panel, you can set your account to that, it's more of a typical blue theme.
Doesn't help too much with the clutter, but it is a lot smoother in terms of colors.

You can also enable "Display posts in classic mode" in Thread View Options on http://forums.xonotic.org/usercp.php?action=options

I like the "Default" theme better, it's wider...

I am always confused that my RSS Reader seems to be unable to show the newest posts. All I can see are new threads. That way I always would need to log on to check for new posts and I easily drop out of discussions due to that. Is there a way to provide a "latest posts" RSS feed?

Apart from that I'd have to say I am happy with MyBB. Using the classic post display and the default theme this forum is actually quite comfortable to use and has interesting features (such as reputation statistics and stuff).
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

i like this forum Heart
4m038105 - Be the change.

I prefer Simple Machines Forums, but this is also nice. Besides, I'll take a piece of crap forums system with a great community over a really nice forums system with a not so great community any day. I am happy with, and like going to this website everyday. The people here are the best. Cheers!
Once you go -ck you never go back.
This signature is licensed under the BSD license. There is no need to relicense your brain once you have committed it to memory.

I like this forum because in this forum all type of discussions are-going on.

~cut -- a very subtle link to a very subtle commercial site was here
-- MrBougo

SMF isn't good to my eyes.. This forum is good, but PHP ones are also great..

Its not the forum software that is the problem.

Partly its the choice of color schemes. (if there is an option for this, its lost in the clutter).

But mostly its the posters. (Ok, flame me - I got it coming, but it needs to be said).

Is it REALLY conducive to conversation to have all these childish icons and avatars and HUGE signatures? Really, what do you prove by billboarding every one of your posts with the same crap every post?

Why can't the posters just reign it in a little bit? Reading any threads here is like trying to decipher a graffiti tagged wall in a gang neighborhood.
Maybe we need another forum section for 16years and under? (oh flames!!)
I suspect some of these posters are the same guys that play with flashing multi-color names 4 inches long and full of special characters.

Come on, guys, back it down a little.

If you don't like it, turn it off, that's what control panels are for.
Most of us don't mind the signatures and avatars, this is a forum after all.

(sidenote, I suggest you don't make such posts again, *especially* if you're aware you're trolling.)

Yeah, come on guys stop having so much fun Smile
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Oh yeah slowtwitch... You see that whackity wicktown forum on the mainpage?
You should NEVER, EVER click on this, in ANY circumstances. Really.

I don't like these forum too! It's too limited, and ugly standard theme!
[Image: duck.gif]
ai am ai.

Fix the avatar size limit please! I want my avatar gifs back! DISCRIMINATION!
Also, change my name to 'ai', these forums sucks which can't have 2 letters in the nick!

Have a look at the control panel, pick another theme or different settings, happies ensue.

Oh my god. I just tried the default theme. Why isn't the default theme the default theme? It's bright, easy to read, easy on the eyes and much more professional in my opinion.
Now just to get rid of the other limitations. ^_^
[Image: duck.gif]
ai am ai.

Fix the avatar size limit please! I want my avatar gifs back! DISCRIMINATION!
Also, change my name to 'ai', these forums sucks which can't have 2 letters in the nick!

Because you can switch to it when you feel down, and it brightens your day.

Mybb is the most awesome forum software ever.

Also, we should totally update to 1.6

Amongst new features: topic prefixes, set by admins

Like "[MAP] My map"
or "[DEVELOPMENT]New dev update"

Stuff like that. In a dropdown list, when making the topic. Prefixes set by admin.

Small feature, but useful. Loads more features and bugfixes too.
[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PSA: Don't buy liquid cooling that has pipes to the side Lyberta 5 3,996 07-14-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  alienTRAP forum closed Halogene 29 31,141 07-11-2016, 12:34 AM
Last Post: end user
  Forum dead? kojn^ 5 5,455 08-25-2015, 07:56 AM
Last Post: machine!
Tongue Underwear brand that looks like the Xonotic logo MirceaKitsune 25 27,665 02-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Last Post: aa
  What's your rig (gaming machine) like? c00L 8 15,175 10-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Halogene
  Got a server. Don't know what to do with it. JayWalker 2 3,526 08-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Last Post: JayWalker
  Do you like TimeSplitters? DW_ 6 5,367 06-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Please don't base the game on a lie lamefun 11 11,676 06-15-2012, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  Does playing Arena shooters like Xonotic make you better at slower paced games? Shadowman84 6 8,962 05-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Mepper
  Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? Mr. Bougo 25 36,764 05-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo