Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] National Flags on new Xonotic page

(07-11-2012, 07:24 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Let's not hierarchize this community based on contributions. I don't contribute anything to the game but I still try to be useful to the community. I consider it's the same thing for any frequent poster in this forum.

Well xonotic depends heavily on his contributors. My problem is just that since the whole xonotic project started many people just suggesting things and expect others to do them or just suggesting stuff over and over again. But in most cases they refuse to do anything even the easiest stuff like looking at a map and saying something else like 'i like it'.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Well that is not bad per se. Having good ideas is not restricted to those who have the skills to make them happen. It's what the suggestion box is for right? Also: if different users keep suggesting the same thing over and over, would that not be proof of said feature having potential? :p

But no, in this particular case I do not see the value yet either. You can not make the framework and expect it to be filled magically. When Xonotic grows and community sites are born, something like this could be considered as an aid to those sites.
Right now, it could even work against you. If I click a dutch flag that points to nothing or a near empty site, my initial thought would be: "apparently nobody here has interest in this game, should I?".
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Well I have to disagree with you there. We need our chickens laying bigger and healthier eggs then we will have bigger healthy chicks. Which will lead to organic growth of the Xonotic community and thus a need for multi national-community's.

(07-11-2012, 07:42 AM)Cortez666 Wrote: Well xonotic depends heavily on his contributors. My problem is just that since the whole xonotic project started many people just suggesting things and expect others to do them or just suggesting stuff over and over again. But in most cases they refuse to do anything even the easiest stuff like looking at a map and saying something else like 'i like it'.
This OT is interesting. Sorry for making it last a bit...

Since I see the project gowing up, I constantly feel that people who suggest and people who do things are baiscally the same.
In most "engineering" project, those two tasks are separated and have to be so.
The typical error is to think that the "how to do" is tougher than the "what to do".
Fat.bot.Slim

I agree on with cortez and bougo on this one. However I played nexuiz for 4-5 months before even going ONTO the forums or quake irc proving that the game is good enough to draw people in without being inhibited by language if the gameplay is fun.

Community in xonotic/nexuiz is just a byproduct of playing the game now; not the other way around.

I think at this point we may risk alienating foreign players with the english language but also consider how many players we draw in because of the same language.(france, england, germany, spain, canada, USA, sweden, switzerland, denmark, norway,australia, new zealand, kenya, india, malta, nigeria, pakistan, zimbabwe err...

Putting links on the main page that lead to empty forums/sites is not a good idea. Itt would make people think this game is not played/not developed/forsaken. Instead, the flags shoud change the language of the site, makeing it more foreigner friendly. Whenether i see somthing in my own languge it makes me feel.. warmer. It would make a general good feeling about the game. I can make Russian translation, sombody might make Polish translation and so on. mabee there should be language specific subdivision of this forum, where people not speaking english may get help installing the game/joining servers in their own language.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(07-17-2012, 10:42 PM)aa Wrote: Putting links on the main page that lead to empty forums/sites is not a good idea. Itt would make people think this game is not played/not developed/forsaken. Instead, the flags shoud change the language of the site, makeing it more foreigner friendly. Whenether i see somthing in my own languge it makes me feel.. warmer. It would make a general good feeling about the game. I can make Russian translation, sombody might make Polish translation and so on. mabee there should be language specific subdivision of this forum, where people not speaking english may get help installing the game/joining servers in their own language.
I can't find fault with the idea if you're willing to do that. I can do spanish translation too.

Yes I willl be willing to do that from 12th of august, when i return from vocation.
Unfortunatly i dont know how to work with sites, but im sureithat i can solve the problem.

About the egg and bacon... egg and hen situation: on one hand we may not bother with atracting people until the game is more or less finshed. But on the other hand, we need more people who can contribute, speeding up the development...
so, indeed it's a difficuilt dilemna.

It sounds good in principle, but since this site is not a scratchbuilt project but rather just a very nice custom theme for Wordpress it gets difficult to actually do it. When you would only consider doing languages like German and French, you could attempt to make a multilingual Wordpress site out of it... but with more languages it would quickly become very hard or even impossible to maintain.

Or at least, that is how it used to be until not too long ago Smile

Edit: France is not a language!

I dont get the message... or wait... Do You mean that if we translate it... Don't understand.

Whats Wordpress? Ok, I looked this up.

I dont get the problem.

The problem is that, unless our web dev speaks all of these languages or we get dedicated translators (and not people doing one-shot work), it's going to take a while to translate every update.

Also, because of the Wordpress backend, I guess PinkRobot is saying that there are technical difficulties involved in having and maintaining a multilingual site. It would be easier if the site were custom-built because it would be tailored to our needs, unlike Wordpress which requires some tinkering to work the way we want.

Apart from the practical issues of needing a team ready to translate whenever something new gets posted (unless you want english content mixed with the other language) the technical stuff might indeed be the real show stopper.

Look up "mullti language wordpress" in your favourite search engine and it will soon become apparent that this can get tricky, especially when you want more than 2 or 3 languages and want to keep control over the text (instead of using something like Global Translator, which will make the entire website look a like it was made by a spambot Tongue)

I would love to hear Antibody make a statement about this though, maybe a lot has changed lately or he knows of a great plugin that would be fit for this job? I would happily assist transating to dutch when needed.

I can Translate to Windings.

And about the egg / chickenproblem: I dont like chicken that much. So 2 Hard-boiled eggs for me please.

PinkRobot: Everyone hates you too.
Wink Tongue

P.s.: Hanving my "5 Minutes" right now.

P.p.s.: Wordpress and Mulitlingualsupport is the hell. Rly. It's hot, but it stinks - causes nothing but pain and leaves you filled up with agony and despair.
[Image: Sigsig.jpg]

Heh.

Quote:P.p.s.: Wordpress and Mulitlingualsupport is the hell. Rly. It's hot, but it stinks - causes nothing but pain and leaves you filled up with agony and despair.

Would you mind extending your 5 minutes to share any personal experiences about that? Or are you just taking the you know what? :p

Edit: Ah OK Sless, this is the thread where i said that Tongue

Well... realy, I didnt ment translating it ALL, but the most important interface parts- home, Downloads and so on- the parts for starting up. Rest is mostly technical information, which is not required for basic players. F course dont think i cannot ranslate it all, i have enought time time, and wouldt bother translating updatees from time to time.

I don't think translating half of the site would seem very serious.

Can you repeat your last sentence? I can't determine whether you are ready to translate or not.

A multilingual home/start/front page is a jolly good idea. Possibly aim to provide a similar number of translations as the game menu has.

Hmmmm... with seperate forums too... but who is going to translate all of Whackity Wicktown???

Good idea, only having the front page translated, I can translate it to swedish! Smile

Wackity Wicktown Is just untranslatable! LOL
No I ment uhh... language specific subforums, or even threads.

Yes i can translate.

(07-19-2012, 05:19 AM)Sless Wrote: And about the egg / chickenproblem: I dont like chicken that much. So 2 Hard-boiled eggs for me please.

Need bacon witht it?

As far as I'm concerned, an international subforum with one thread per language is okay for me.

Gött, jag gillar ost med sås. Smile

(07-20-2012, 08:12 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: As far as I'm concerned, an international subforum with one thread per language is okay for me.

I agree at least for now.

On another note, we can at least prioritize(is that how do you spell...?)
on translating the main site pages of xonotic i.e. the ones that act as purely introduction waffle and "how to's" in regards to downloads.

To mitigate the need to have forums in separate languages, I think it would be useful that some key threads regarding help and tips about xonotic's gameplay that should be turned into standalone help pages, translated and put on the official website (in the help section obviously).

Danny I agree with you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DISCUSSION] Xonotic and QuakeC: How painful could it be rewrite Xonotic in a new language? derrant 2 2,326 07-14-2020, 06:45 AM
Last Post: derrant
  [SUGGESTION] Web facing Pickup page/site end user 6 5,531 08-27-2017, 07:08 PM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] New toys not new any more? BuddyFriendGuy 11 9,152 05-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] new gamemode catf (collect all the flags) hutty 3 3,611 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Last Post: hutty
  [SUGGESTION] <a href="http://tinyurl.com/sydma" style="font-size: 4em;">Fix the front page NOW</a> divVerent 7 34,362 05-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Last Post: clanclanclan
  [SUGGESTION] make xonotic live page mitcoes 7 9,269 04-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Last Post: od@r