Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Stay on Edges While Crouching

This would be a simple addition to the movement system. While you're crouching you can't walk off edges, it easily allows to stay on the corner and look straight down without falling off. It would be pretty in neat in some maps.

You might know this from Unreal Tournament or Minecraft. As a fan of both of these games I'm pretty used to this "edge crouching" and I regulary find myself trying that in Xonotic only to fall off... Big Grin

A nice example would be the map Xoylent, if you go to the highest level it's really hard to safely look down there. It's mainly a help for looking down at edges. If you get hurt or release the crouch key, you fall down.

So, what do you think?
[Image: 13320.png]

I could imagine that this feature would break the whole gameplay, but first to be sure that I got your idea you may show a video of this?

(09-27-2012, 10:46 AM)Maddin Wrote: I could imagine that this feature would break the whole gameplay, but first to be sure that I got your idea you may show a video of this?
Why would it break the whole gameplay? A video? Huh, well for example:

http://youtu.be/mW8CqB4l_0Y?t=4m15s

As you can see, this guy walks over the edge of the tree stumps, is able to face the side of the tree stump and place a new one below himself.

Sorry, it's hard to find a video that shows it right. You have to try it for yourself to get a feel for it. Maybe someone here has played Minecraft and/or Unreal Tournament and knows what I'm talking about to explain it better.

You crouch, you try to move over an edge, but it keeps you on the same height, it's like your holding onto the edge and you can't fall off. Unless you get hurt or stop crouching, then you'll fall down.

Maybe the way it works in Minecraft is too much, Unreal Tournament did this system very well though. But I can't find video that effectively shows that in UT, sorry. It's not like people use it that often, it's just a convenient way to safely look down at edges.

Since getting hurt stops the effect I don't see how this could be abused.
[Image: 13320.png]

That would be cool, but I'm not sure of the feasability of it in our movement and prediction codes.

Ah ok got it. Smile Though I would be against it, no use for such a thing imo.

I would also be against it because it would force movement noise if you drop off a ledge or something.
Could change duels in a bad way IMO

s1lencer, what do you call movement noise? And how would it be "forced"?

What I wonder is how would we get out of the ventilation shaft that holds the nex in g-23?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Not quite sure why anyone would be against this lol. It won't break duels at all or something like that. Halogene, it only works when you hold down crouch..since you only need to do that when you get into the vents, so it shouldnt affect you coming out unless you were still pressing crouch.

It is a neat feature and is helpful to look over the edges more easily.

If it can be implemented i'm all for it.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(09-28-2012, 01:00 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: s1lencer, what do you call movement noise? And how would it be "forced"?

You would be forced to make a footstep noise to get off a ledge if you were sneaking about.

I wonder how you can implement that, if you would have to add certain triggers or something to the maps or if you could implement that into the engine (like dependent on angle)...
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [BUG] you run faster while runing into walls??? Snowball 2 2,690 03-12-2019, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Snowball
  [SUGGESTION] Crouching & climbing for bots Antares* 0 1,858 06-21-2017, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Antares*