Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Foliage Please

I want to garden in Xonotic.
Currently nexuiz/xonotic, coupled with netradiant, is a great architectual package.
People have made little city scapes, castles, houses, anything they wanted.
But I would like to make nice gardens around these pieces of architecture aswell.

Games like the Unreal series come with many types of large and small trees, which are Level of Detail enabled, for the users to place.

Could the artists here make alot of diffrent trees for inclusion in the Xonotic package, with 3 (or better yet, 5) levels of detail please?:

Normal poly model -> Lower poly model -> Very low poly model with 3 to 6 textured planes for leaves etc -> 2 textured planes intersecting with image of tree on each (like an X from above) -> 1 anchored sprite.

This way when you are far away you have a forest of cheaply computed anchored sprites, when you get closer the level of detail increases to where the tree is a "real" tree.

Could these trees be made:
japanese maple
[Image: 7e94f36dad3ccd6a]
cherry blossom tree
[Image: 3563737960180eb8]
spruce
[Image: 6352dca885f76d90]
maple tree
[Image: view%3fback=http%253A%252F%252Fimages.se...=12oicp2s5]
redwood giant
[Image: 0f65050475a49470]
bamboo tree
[Image: 36ba28c5dad3dd5a]
weeping willow
[Image: 0b932e2acb9420dc]
banyan tree
[Image: view%3fback=http%253A%252F%252Fimages.se...=12po436oc]
dogwood tree
[Image: 5328455ff6d279b0]

I've seen maps with "trees" in them but they are of poor quality, have no Level of Detail, and, wost of all, when I opened some in the map editor, they were partially or totally brush based (so not easily placed in other maps).

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=371
I'am working on something that would require the FOLIAGE. I'd like to see such things too!
I might help on modeling the trees - I've got a little expirience on that.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

GREAT!
Now we just need some people to get off their asses and make this stuff.
>drums fingers<
>huffs<
>looks out of window<
Well....done yet?
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

Yeah! We do!
But...
Who?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

No one will do it?
Could Oblivion do it?
He's done organic looking models.
Please?

Trees you might like to start by collecting and packaging as many trees as you can find through nexuiz levels. There are trees on moonstone and one of the greatwall remakes iirc. Once you have set up a package with all the trees you can find, I'm sure an experienced modeler will take charge and make differently detailed models. Most people are busy doing with their own responsibilities, so giving them a head start is always very helpful. Smile
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

The current trees aren't good.
Moonstone isn't GPL so that's a definite no.
The other one... the trees are full bright.
And I'm asking for a variety.

I guess I'll get the old nexuiz standby "do it yourself"
Nope, I can't make good trees.
No one is going to do it.

Guess you can change the name, but not the people.

well you can't expect people to stop what there doing and start helping you with your requests when there busy with other things. I originally wanted to make a level that would actually get in game and be used by the whole community instead of making levels that get lost amongst all the others. So I went about it collaborating with FruiteX doing all the work I could do and then passing it on to him to do all the stuff I couldn't do/haven't learned. So I'm sure there are ways you can start off this feature (textures, learn basic blender) and then passing it onto the most appropriate person to finalize. Smile
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

Mikee, just pull the flora from DungeonHack and stop whining.
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

I think making a package with all type of growing stuff is a good idea. Mappers could download it and use freely - or even modify those and uload new stuff.

I can get into this and start working on this feature, bu some more atist and proggramers would be wanted. I can't do everything by myself, and I have little spare time a t the moment - will be free to go in two weeks propably.

Anyone wants to make this idea real with me?

Please?
Guess not Sad
Nothing's changed.

How about task one:
Make a green leafed tree.
Then one can move on to the next tree untill xonotic has a large selection of gardening options?

Trees... is your name a joke to this topic? Tongue no would be cool!

Like maybe we could make a checklist and work on it all

I guess I could start on some trees or bushes. One thing that would be helpful would be if someone came up with appropriate leaf textures. Modelling trees is not hard, but doing good looking trees is a little trickier. Besides, what should the upper poly limit on trees be? I'm thinking less than 500. The type of tree is also a consideration.

Yes, that sounds good. We can also do LOD I think (but div would have to tell how)

Get larger pics of the trees or names of the type of trees/bushes you are looking for.

Japanese Maple:
[Image: japanese-maple.jpg]
[Image: Bloodg7.jpg]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_maple

Today there are hundreds of Japanese Maples on the market, and Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum' (meaning "dark purple") is one of the most popular[7]

This photo gives me a pretty good start.

Leaf profile:
[Image: Acer-palmatum-ssp.jpg]

"Licensing
I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby publish it under the following license:
w:en:Creative Commons
attribution share alike This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 Generic license."

I think the trees should look different than natural trees, to give a futuristic look. But I'll do it both ways to see how it looks

Both ways is great: variety is what we need Smile
Some trees may be from earth, others might be hybrid, other might be from who knows where.
Avatar was so pretty because it used a mix of earth style stuff and alien stuff.

The general laws of nature state that two species developing in different but similar environments will have similar characteristics due to similar needs. This is why whales (which are fish), dolphins (mammals), and penguins (birds) all have streamlined bodies and fins: they all live in marine environments and need to hunt fish.

My point is this: if Xonotic is taking place on alien worlds, any indigenous foliage will look very similar to foliage from similar environments on Earth, but not exactly the same.

(tl;dr or "couldn't understand that vocab": foliage should look kind of like earth foliage due to the theory of evolution.)
Humans... Dodgy

"There is no problem that cannot be solved by a judicious application of carnivorous dinosaurs." -JayIsGames.com

Uhh, yeah. What he said.

By the way, I'll probably attach the leaves and branch to the same poly. From there attach to larger branch, which leads to trunk. I want to keep the polycount as low as possible, as not to slow the game down.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jlygjtnqhmj - here is a little tree I have made some time ago. Use freely. Blender ftw.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Please update the menu UI. liquidjerome 5 4,268 04-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  [SUGGESTION] [SUGGESTION] Please Release Xonotic On Steam Iconoclast 4 5,872 12-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Please release Xonotic on GOG FutureSuture 3 5,009 08-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Rainbow [SUGGESTION] No more forks! Mods please! unfa 13 13,530 05-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Morphed
  [SUGGESTION] Easy fullscreen toggle, please! unfa 3 4,222 05-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Last Post: bones_was_here
  [SUGGESTION] Wiki, "noaw", please. Cheers :3 paperclips 8 6,461 04-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Silica Gel: Do Not Eat