Create an account

Poll: What do you think of my suggestion?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
g_shootfromeye 1 default
63.89%
23 63.89%
Keep it the way it is
36.11%
13 36.11%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Important: Fire from crosshair

One of the least enjoyable "features" of Nexuiz, in my opinion, is the fact that projectiles and hit-scan rays are sent from the tip of the gun, often resulting in accurate shots missing, or inaccurate shots hitting. Not only is this extremely annoying when trying to fire with a wall beneath you, blocking your gun tip, but unlike Quake, there is also a right/left bias which means you can't fire straight if there's a wall next to you...

There's a reason Quake 3 did away with this feature, and the game was all the better for it IMO. As far as I know, Nexuiz isn't supposed to be any more realistic than Quake, so for the sake of gameplay, why not relocate the firing point to the actual crosshair?

the competitive community has been using this for years. g_shootfromeye 1

Too bad this is not enabled by default and has a wrong shot origin with cl_gunalign 1 (right-aligned).

Oh, cool! Well, then fix the bug, and then have g_shootfromeye enabled by default, agree Smile I noticed the projectiles are a lot more in the way than in Quake 3, almost as if the projectiles are rendered after they've passed a certain distance from the player in Quake 3, while they are immediately rendered in Nexuiz, resulting in a bit of eyestrain. Muzzles from hitscan weapons (or at least machinegun) are also very annoying atm as they are relocated for some reason.

g_shootfromeye 1 should be default, but atm server admins can put it on their servers manually. We can all pretend to be lefties until it's fixed.

I'm pretty sure all hitscan is fired from the center of the screen till it "collides" with a solid object. It wouldn't make sense to aim it off.

Only some maps need this. The mapper can set it in his map info file.

Gah No!
If possible people should decide in the menu what they want to use or not.

(05-08-2010, 08:55 PM)master[mind] Wrote: I'm pretty sure all hitscan is fired from the center of the screen till it "collides" with a solid object. It wouldn't make sense to aim it off.

You haven't noticed hitscan weapons shoot from the gun tip onto the crosshair, instead of straight through the crosshair? Surely you must have noticed when your shots didn't reach their target because the floor was in the way?

(05-08-2010, 09:36 PM)Trees Wrote: Only some maps need this. The mapper can set it in his map info file.

Why should it be map specific, what are the benefits of keeping it the way it is?

(05-09-2010, 05:05 AM)Mirio Wrote: Gah No!
If possible people should decide in the menu what they want to use or not.

Why wouldn't you want it this way, there's no possible benefit to the kind of contextual aim that's in the game now? I guess choice is good, but the default should definitely be to fire from center.

Elaborate "Gah No!" please...

It looks quite ugly, annoying and unprofessional if the projectile doesn't come from the gun.

One workaround may be drawing one thing, but doing another, but then it can look like a shot went through a wall.

(05-09-2010, 05:43 AM)Beefeater Wrote:
(05-08-2010, 08:55 PM)master[mind] Wrote: I'm pretty sure all hitscan is fired from the center of the screen till it "collides" with a solid object. It wouldn't make sense to aim it off.
You haven't noticed hitscan weapons shoot from the gun tip onto the crosshair, instead of straight through the crosshair? Surely you must have noticed when your shots didn't reach their target because the floor was in the way?

Actually, I never noticed. I assumed the gun fired from the center of the screen, but I've never had aiming issues either. I can't tell...I just assumed...hmmmmmm...

(05-09-2010, 05:56 AM)divVerent Wrote: It looks quite ugly, annoying and unprofessional if the projectile doesn't come from the gun.

One workaround may be drawing one thing, but doing another, but then it can look like a shot went through a wall.

True that.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

I selectivly set it only in maps that need it (maps where you're shooting out of a tiny slit)
You can set g_shootfromeye, players. The rest of the world doesn't _have_ to use your defaults.

(05-09-2010, 05:56 AM)divVerent Wrote: It looks quite ugly, annoying and unprofessional if the projectile doesn't come from the gun.
(05-10-2010, 12:01 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote:

True that.

Does, say, Quake 3 look ugly and unprofessional when you shoot guns? I hadn't noticed.

(05-10-2010, 01:24 AM)Trees Wrote: Only some maps need this. The mapper can set it in his map info file.

I selectivly set it only in maps that need it (maps where you're shooting out of a tiny slit)

Dignify me with a proper response instead of repeating what I just answered to last time.

(05-10-2010, 01:24 AM)Trees Wrote: You can set g_shootfromeye, players. The rest of the world doesn't _have_ to use your defaults.
Why shouldn't the guns shoot directly from the crosshair by default? It doesn't look ugly when implemented correctly (which it was in Quake 3)? It has clear gameplay benefits, so why should it be non-default/map specified? Nexuiz wasn't supposed to be realistic, if it was it would have iron sights, which would have fixed this problem somewhat, but this game doesn't have that!

it will need someone to change the particle effects to have a minimum distance, so that e.g. projectile trails, such as smoke, don't spawn right in your face when firing such a kind of projectile. This is the only reason why it actually looks good in quake 3.

It looks kinda odd too in Q3 when you look at it in slowmotion Tongue.

But don't get me wrong, I support the suggestion. Back when I played, I couldn't be bothered to play on servers where g_shootfromeye was not votable Wink

You can set g_shootfromeye, players. The rest of the world doesn't _have_ to use your defaults.
Drop the subject. Since you can set it yourself it is unimportant player complaining bullshit.
Go build something rather than trying to force everyone to use your defaults that make things look bad.

Bullets, by default, don't shoot out of your eyes. They shoot out of the gun.

(05-10-2010, 12:20 PM)GreEn`mArine Wrote: it will need someone to change the particle effects to have a minimum distance, so that e.g. projectile trails, such as smoke, don't spawn right in your face when firing such a kind of projectile. This is the only reason why it actually looks good in quake 3.

It looks kinda odd too in Q3 when you look at it in slowmotion Tongue.

But don't get me wrong, I support the suggestion. Back when I played, I couldn't be bothered to play on servers where g_shootfromeye was not votable Wink

Yeah, exactly, right now the particle effects (and perhaps the projectile itself?) are drawn too early when g_shootfromeye is used, that's annoying Undecided There's also the bug parasti mentioned, as well as the MG muzzle flash bug, otherwise this setting would be perfectly fine as default Big Grin

(05-10-2010, 01:00 PM)Trees Wrote: Only some maps need this. The mapper can set it in his map info file.

Hey, thanks for pointing out, I wasn't aware of that! Dodgy

(05-10-2010, 01:00 PM)Trees Wrote: You can set g_shootfromeye, players. The rest of the world doesn't _have_ to use your defaults.

Isn't g_shootfromeye a server side setting?

(05-10-2010, 01:00 PM)Trees Wrote: Drop the subject. Since you can set it yourself it is unimportant player complaining bullshit.
Go build something rather than trying to force everyone to use your defaults that make things look bad.

I'm not forcing anyone to use my defaults. I'm making a suggestion, and last time I checked, this was a suggestion forum.

(05-10-2010, 01:00 PM)Trees Wrote: Bullets, by default, don't shoot out of your eyes. They shoot out of the gun.

Hey Captain Obvious, in the original post I pointed this out and suggested changing it. Out of the loop much? Wink

Protip: Whining about people suggesting simple improvements to the game isn't a good way to attract contributors, it makes you look like a grumpy purist fanboy who hates change. If that's what you're into, I'm sure the CS and TF2 communities will welcome you warmly.

"Protip: Whining about people suggesting simple improvements to the game isn't a good way to attract contributors, it makes you look like a grumpy purist fanboy who hates change. If that's what you're into, I'm sure the CS and TF2 communities will welcome you warmly."

Suggestions for small nit-picky changes aren't improvements and certainly aren't contributions... they're annoying small nitpicky garbage.

Those who want to contribute, that is those who are /driven/ to build things, be it textures, code, maps, models, you name it... they do it. They don't whine about server or client variable settings... and they certainly don't whine about a single server or client variable.

You find nitpickers "working" in webbrowsers, you find contributors working in... blender, netradiant, nedit, vi, gimp, inkscape, muse, rosegarden, etc.

You're suggestion that you will boycott xonitic with your "contributions" of "'helpful"" suggestions (which the devs have allready though about, you know the people that created that cvar you're complaing about to begin with) years ago... when the setting you're complaing about was made... and that other similar people who don't want to actually build anything but will "contribute" by suggesting the s_variable_something_gee be set, from now on, to 1 rather than 0 .... will stop "contributing"... that sounds like a good outcome.

Open up a content or code editor of some kind, close your webbrowser of nitpickery and annoyance.

Pro-tip: you're not a pro.
Bullets, by default, don't shoot out of your eyes. They shoot out of the gun.
Most maps do not require you to shoot out of tiny slits, those that do, the few that do, have the proper setting set in their map info file.

Oh God. Not you again. Not you and this BS again.

As much as I encourage people to contribute content, please... shut up.

On-Topic: I find the occasional blocked shot thing mildly annoying, but not enough to change. Besides, it adds strategy to the game.

Also:
Trees Wrote:Bullets, by default, don't shoot out of your eyes.
No, but it would be effing schweet if they did, and that's what this topic is really about. Wink
Humans... Dodgy

"There is no problem that cannot be solved by a judicious application of carnivorous dinosaurs." -JayIsGames.com

(05-10-2010, 06:11 PM)Trees Wrote: Suggestions for small nit-picky changes aren't improvements and certainly aren't contributions... they're annoying small nitpicky garbage.
YES PLZ NO SMALL CHANGES ONLY BIG CHANGES LOL

(05-10-2010, 06:11 PM)Trees Wrote: Those who want to contribute, that is those who are /driven/ to build things, be it textures, code, maps, models, you name it... they do it. They don't whine about server or client variable settings... and they certainly don't whine about a single server or client variable.
What the hell have you done? What the hell gives you permission to bitch about foilage textures or whatever the hell it is?

(05-10-2010, 06:11 PM)Trees Wrote: You're suggestion that you will boycott xonitic...
Hey guys, let's pull things out of our asses...

Also, shot origin is a server side variable. This isn't the first time you had trouble distinguishing server and client side.

(05-10-2010, 06:37 PM)Roanoke Wrote:
(05-10-2010, 06:11 PM)Trees Wrote: Suggestions for small nit-picky changes aren't improvements and certainly aren't contributions... they're annoying small nitpicky garbage.
YES PLZ NO SMALL CHANGES ONLY BIG CHANGES LOL

(05-10-2010, 06:11 PM)Trees Wrote: Those who want to contribute, that is those who are /driven/ to build things, be it textures, code, maps, models, you name it... they do it. They don't whine about server or client variable settings... and they certainly don't whine about a single server or client variable.
What the hell have you done? What the hell gives you permission to bitch about foilage textures or whatever the hell it is?

(05-10-2010, 06:11 PM)Trees Wrote: You're suggestion that you will boycott xonitic...
Hey guys, let's pull things out of our asses...

Also, shot origin is a server side variable. This isn't the first time you had trouble distinguishing server and client side.

Well I've done nothing for xonotic.
But I've done things for myself.
I've made some maps, some models, some music, and some textures, and released them opensource.

What I haven't done is demand that my settings be the default or that Mines NEVER BE ALLOWED IN THE GAME!!111

Look. We haven't accused you of anything. We're not trying to malign you. But you're being too damn defensive! We wouldn't be arguing like this if you didn't keep bringing this up! Let it die.
Humans... Dodgy

"There is no problem that cannot be solved by a judicious application of carnivorous dinosaurs." -JayIsGames.com

Fixed poll. Please refrain from making biased polls.

DiaboliK Wrote:Fixed poll.

Why do mods get to have all the fun? Sad
Humans... Dodgy

Voted "g_shootfromeye 1 default", but only if the weapon is not centered like it's 1996 all over again. As I wrote before, this can be achieved with cl_gunalign, but then projectiles and muzzle flashes are not drawn correctly. So that must be fixed first.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Crosshair outline s3m4s 0 1,972 01-22-2022, 02:30 PM
Last Post: s3m4s
  [SUGGESTION] adjust the position of the crosshair basaltdragon 9 8,921 07-17-2013, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] 3rd person view blocking crosshair when looking down basaltdragon 1 4,104 07-11-2013, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Alt fire mode for Nex instead of scope? Smilecythe 28 31,398 03-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
  [SUGGESTION] Increase Rocket Rate of Fire Loafers 3 5,160 05-25-2012, 02:00 AM
Last Post: Loafers
  [SUGGESTION] Projectiles/weapons fire match player color Lee_Stricklin 6 7,874 06-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Last Post: emrys merlin
  [SUGGESTION] The magical dot of the crosshair - let it be useful unfa 10 10,714 12-14-2010, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin