Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can of worms, ctf

I was hoping Xonotic had more than one coder so Samual wouldn't be overwhelmed. Nor do I actually expect anyone to do any changes or put the burden on them. The main thing I wanted to get going is the conversation and see where people stand on the issue. Before even considering if it's worth doing in the first place.
[Image: duck.gif]
ai am ai.

Fix the avatar size limit please! I want my avatar gifs back! DISCRIMINATION!
Also, change my name to 'ai', these forums sucks which can't have 2 letters in the nick!

Well generally anyone I delegate to is also just as busy with delegated work Tongue

(08-14-2013, 01:21 PM)_Subzero_ Wrote: ...
I stand corrected then =)

(08-14-2013, 02:37 PM)Samual Wrote: I hope you're not suggesting that I do all the work for experimenting with these ideas.
Of course we do, the universe revolves around you! (scnr) Wink Seriously tough, the things suggested so far are mostly minimal coding effort (at least for proof of concept, polish can always take some time regardless of task complexity). So anyone with a decent understanding of programming should be able to do it. The hard part i would think if finding a commonly acceptable solution and how to evaluate its effectiveness fairly.

Quote:
  1. Disallow usage of all weapons except for Laser for flag carrier
If the goal is to slow the fc, keeping the laser is a bad idea. Possibly letting the fc keep using any non splash (easy way) or a subset that does not work as boosters would work. Two other ways to approach it would be 1) Disable self-hit-force (preddy much a mutator of one active hook with one line of code) or 2) make the flag a melee weapon that when carried overrides the normal ones.

I find interesting the idea of allowing to get the flag only after 1 or more seconds that the attacker is close to it. This way he must stop his run and would give the enemy defenders more chances to kill him.

Optionally: attacker can't shot while standing on the flag, or if he does it, the waiting time restarts.

seriously... with all respect, but maybe join CTF please people.

There are like 3 people shooting the attacker at the flag spawn.. and you are supposed to wait there? You get instant killed lol. Or even better without weapons when you take flag.. wtf? How are you supposed to fight back?

I dont like the 1 second to get flag idea.

But as for no weps for FC, teammates. Teammates should defend the FC. A flag run will then be based on team skill, nit purely individual skill as it is now. After all, ctf is a team game.

(08-15-2013, 03:55 PM)Mirio Wrote: seriously... with all respect, but maybe join CTF please people.

There are like 3 people shooting the attacker at the flag spawn.. and you are supposed to wait there? You get instant killed lol. Or even better without weapons when you take flag.. wtf? How are you supposed to fight back?

Exactly. You would have more chances if your team supports you while you attack.

(08-15-2013, 03:55 PM)Mirio Wrote: Or even better without weapons when you take flag.. wtf? How are you supposed to fight back?

The point is that you SHOULDN'T be able to fight back. That's why you don't have any weapons. Should be obvious. :p
ai am ai.

Also, change my name to 'ai', these forums sucks which can't have 2 letters in the nick!

(08-16-2013, 01:12 AM)ai Wrote:
(08-15-2013, 03:55 PM)Mirio Wrote: Or even better without weapons when you take flag.. wtf? How are you supposed to fight back?

The point is that you SHOULDN'T be able to fight back. That's why you don't have any weapons. Should be obvious. :p

But that does not make any sense in a SHOOTER.
Beside that, people support the flag carrier, at least in teams I played recently.

Maybe defend as a team! Tongue

It's already NOT easy at all: Needs about 15 attempts for a successful captures at times.
And if it is so easy, why it's not possible for every player. Sad

This discussion is just similar to "egg and chicken" anyway, imo.

So, bye. [Image: chansub-global-emoticon-3b96527b46b1c941-40x30.png]

It's till a shooter even if the FC cannot shoot. His teammates will shoot. If you are the FC you can always drop the flag to start shooting again if necessarily. Would be risky but the option would be there.

I guess I'm just an old school CTF guy who prefer shooting his way through the enemy base as opposed to racing. I would like more actual gameplay, not a race mod. That's what the race mod is for, just add a flag and it will be exactly the same.
ai am ai.

Any disadvantage for flag carrier that affects "FPS skill" is IMO stupid and very not-CTF-like.

I guess you're talking about our last CTF pickup game where I played in your team ai (and we were raped). We just sucked as a team. No tactics, no positions, ... no synchronization at all, not even damn marks. Also, the enemy had 2 skilled flag runners and we had only people used to frag AFAIK. That was the problem.

But please, get rid of auto-cap, it's so _unfair_ advantage for flag carrier... and it happens OFTEN! When the enemy carrier is above her/his flag it's usually over.

- If flag carrier has enough health you can push her/him away and prevent capture.
- If flag carrier has low health you'll frag her/him and auto-capture for enemy.

This is stupid.

(08-16-2013, 04:14 AM)ai Wrote: I guess I'm just an old school CTF guy who prefer shooting his way through the enemy base as opposed to racing.

I'm too =). But you usually can't just shoot your way through against superior number of enemies. You need your teammates to help you (unless you're very skilled). And we usually just died one by one when going for flag.

Seriously, I play CTF as TDM. Without other guys that can do flag stuff I'd totally turn my team down because I can only frag. But then I help them when they're "racing" back to base by slowing down chasers (sometimes).
[Image: OYvkngZ.png] I'm woky on IRC.

Based on my limitited CTF experience (talking about pickup matches here, and that 3v3ctf cup long time ago) CTF is currently played like this:

Defenders defend, attackers run around randomly and are more mid-field players except that they dont frag the flag runner, then there's one or two super fast guys who take the flag without much assisstant of his team.

Teamplay only happens at the defence, and sometimse when a powerup comes up.

Doing the Halo way, no weapons for the flag runner, this will force more running skills on the flag runner since he now NEED to plan his route, get the most speed he can with strafe jumping and trick jumps, AND his teammates have to protect him which adds MORE teamplay to CTF.

I think this will be the outcome, in public CTF in might simply get fucked up, but I'm talking about XPM here.

Heavy drugs...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I adjust the weapon model size and stuff? Molnija 1 2,281 03-13-2019, 12:28 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  How can i add a Game mode? HirnloserHering 2 4,364 08-29-2015, 06:33 AM
Last Post: HirnloserHering
  Where can I find the self animated weapons from Nexuiz? MirceaKitsune 14 16,764 11-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
  What you can do, or are willing to do to contribute GT_Gene 31 29,579 12-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Last Post: D_W
  After an git update, all Nexuiz server can't be used. liberty 17 17,423 04-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Last Post: nox