Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Logo Refinement, Addressing Technical Issues, Inspiring Others

Yeah, geometrically, it could be interesting, especially if the tip of the wing aligned with some part of the quake ring (tip?). However, making them one is not a good idea imho.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Small revision to my first concept:
Instead of completely combining the 2 objects, one could also visually seperate them, but treat the quake logo as part of the pheonix (this would also make sense metaphorically):
[Image: vlk9hmzir898itn7pxyo.png]

[Image: evmvnd0v99gd0gbx9p5g_thumb.png]

(05-21-2010, 03:26 AM)sev Wrote: [Image: vlk9hmzir898itn7pxyo.png]

I really like this concept for an icon, identifiable and simple.

(05-21-2010, 04:12 AM)Ronan Wrote:

I really like this concept for an icon, identifiable and simple.

I agree.

Yes. Absolutely.

I agree. I like the continuity of the image. Im sure with colors it could look even better.

(05-21-2010, 03:26 AM)sev Wrote: Small revision to my first concept:
Instead of completely combining the 2 objects, one could also visually seperate them, but treat the quake logo as part of the pheonix (this would also make sense metaphorically):
[Image: vlk9hmzir898itn7pxyo.png]

[Image: evmvnd0v99gd0gbx9p5g_thumb.png]

Excellent, this is how to make logos. easy to identify and still stylish. The wings version could use some work tough, but the concept is great. keep it coming =)

This would also work on flags in game I think.
This is my laser, this is my gun,
This is for plinking, this is for FUN!

BrFJ: wtf with the jumpad
BrFJ: rofl
vael: oh, you'll wtf with the... a few more times don't worry

[Image: badge.png]

Definitely, that is, quite simply, hot Smile But as said, the wings need work, they detract from the main part of the logo instead of supporting/extending it. They're much too solid and at the same time, too rounded, they just don't fit with the phoenix/circular shape. At the moment they just overpower the rest. Looking good though Smile

- I think the tail shouldn't be long so that the lower part of the phoenix looks like burning fire, something like the great fire that comes out of a rocket ( to mean the fierce uprising from ashes ).

- I also think its mouth should be open as if it's yelling loudly.

- I didn't like clipping the wings, I think they should be long.

That's a step in a right direction, sev, but I still don't like the low-poly head.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

(05-23-2010, 03:43 PM)Roanoke Wrote: That's a step in a right direction, sev, but I still don't like the low-poly head.
I feel the same.

OK, I'll try to make a clean version, with the head based on -z-'s last revision, maybe a bit more aggressive.

Why exactly is tracing the 'low-poly' to incorporate more curves that hard? You don't have to change it drastically to get rid of the hard edged look. But the curves have to be tight. Eagle profiles are like that.

[Image: Head1.png]

And I went ahead and traced another picture of a secretary bird (with editing to make it look more like a phoenix of course).

[Image: SecretaryBird.jpg]

[Image: Head2.png]

Those are both 10 minute traces. The key is to trust the reference and not rely by memory, especially if you don't normally draw birds.

No offense, but you are a bit late to tell everyone "how easy it is".

Anyway, my previous sketches were exactly that, quick mockups to illustrate my idea.
Here we go with my 1st real version:
[Image: lw8mphjqbbgwd9ac1ecd_thumb.png]

EDIT:
Attempt Nr.2, based on the original and Oblivion's version:
[Image: ulsx80qlv640vbh8ua7g_thumb.png]

I don't want to offend anyone, but I might as well go all the way give my opinion too.

In my opinion the "low-poly" version always had more character than all the other versions. It looks more like a real "emblem" because it does not show any emotion which gives it a strong presence. The way it is framed is also very important, but more on that later, this is more about the icon version.

The curvy ones all look too cartoony, changing the shape of the eye only makes it show different emotion, the same way you make a cartoon character show different emotions. For example, the last one by sev only makes me think of an evil version of Woody Woodpecker.

[Image: woody-woodpecker.jpg]

Or you could turn it yellow and it would look like a character from The Simpsons, with the spiky hair and all. It doesn't look "majestic" or anything you would think from using a bird as emblem, it just looks like a tiny mean bird that wants to bite your finger off when you're trying to feed it and you go "ouch that stings" and he then swears at you with a chipmunk voice from a distance while you're taking away the food to punish him.

In case of the icon version, it doesn't help that there's lot of space on top of the head, it makes him less than intimidating, just like you wouldn't take a photograph of someone with a lot empty space over the head and leave out the shoulders from the frame unless you wanted to make that person to look tiny. The way the neck is cut from the frame it kinda looks like the bird has shoulders and that gives him a humanoid look, which again makes it look cartoony. Also amplified by the fact that the v shaped cut-out from the quake circle makes it look like he's wearing a shirt.

So far the only curvy version that works IMO is the one by Oblivion 2 post up (the first one) because it looks like an actual bird head instead of a caricature of one. I think that one would be more appropriate for an emblem/logo.

(05-24-2010, 01:23 PM)nifrek Wrote: So far the only curvy version that works IMO is the one by Oblivion 2 post up (the first one) because it looks like an actual bird head instead of a caricature of one. I think that one would be more appropriate for an emblem/logo.

My second one is basically the same as Oblivion's first one:
[Image: n2zglvuzaw8wu92bkrh.png]

I can change the framing, I'm not totally happy with it either.

Ah, I suppose I made my post while you edited yours because it wasn't there when I made mine. Yes I think this is better. I think the open mouth looks good but maybe the jaw/chin shouldn't be bent so much outward, kinda makes it looks like it has fleshy lips instead of solid (ie: it shouldn't change shape as it open it's mouth)

are you guys using the "latest source" from my original post or from down below because I think this face is more on track than the original source I posted, it might be easier to work off.

[Image: 7syz0h2uwtgost3ku3u.png]

last post on previous page.

Otherwise, the idea is headed in the right direction. I agree with nifrek about the jaw chin / a bit too much gullet going on.

Small revision of my last version.
Nr. 3:
[Image: 4sceqrmre1mzn82uhysf.png]

After I got some feedback, I also made a more "stylised" version, very close to the "original".
Nr. 4:
[Image: nnruf9erpq4dv8scs5gl.png]

I definitely prefer the hard-edge, "low poly" look of the original one. It gave it uniqueness and class. I really don't like some of the curvier, more realistic ones, but #4 is a decent compromise for me.
Humans... Dodgy

"There is no problem that cannot be solved by a judicious application of carnivorous dinosaurs." -JayIsGames.com

Can you share the SVG source so I can make explain my response by playing with paths myself?

(05-24-2010, 11:39 AM)sev Wrote: No offense, but you are a bit late to tell everyone "how easy it is".

No, that's not what I meant. What I meant was a lot of us liked morphed's original because of the shape and the expression. Though I have to agree since it was designed for a more angular overall bodyshape its hard edges clashed with the curviness of the current wing designs.

What I meant to say was why is there a need to change it drastically? Surely making it curvy while keeping to the original is not that hard to do. SVG or no SVG manipulating paths to conform to a shape is not that hard (mine were actually done with GIMP paths rather than inkscape, though yeah they were hurried and meant only to show a point). Because yes, the version I posted above is basically morphed's.

I've said with more diplomacy in the past, -z-'s head design just doesn't look like a bird [of prey]. As nifrek said, yes, it looks like a caricature and yes I keep getting impressions of Woody Woodpecker/Roadrunner when I look at it. The width of the head is wrong, the lower beak is set lower than is realistic, the upper beak is far too curved, their ratios are wrong, it doesn't look like it can actually close its beak without looking like it has a massive underbite and a double chin.

Those elements have to be right (+ the slope of the forehead and the shape/position of the eyes) to convey the correct sense of... I dunno... 'nobility'. As VNilla called it 'class', as nifrek called it 'majestic'.

That said, I like #4 as well, though it's more of a hawk than an eagle.

Very nice direction, sev. However, I think the mouth is too open.

(05-24-2010, 07:25 PM)-z- Wrote: Can you share the SVG source so I can make explain my response by playing with paths myself?

Sure:
EDIT: I packed all logo concept and revision files into a single zip: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1djg9gc6d7...ncepts.zip

basicshapes contains the shapes the ring is based on.
It also contains the "mask" to cut back the head of the pheonix (blue).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warpzone issues / troubleshooting Notavi 9 5,127 06-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Mario
Question Issues with deformVertexes autosprite2 and alphashadow kristus 7 6,025 06-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Last Post: kristus
  Shader Issues With Q3A Texture Replacement Packs Orbiter Sunblast 2 5,180 09-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Orbiter Sunblast
  New Playermodel; need some technical help poVoq 16 23,429 08-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Orbiter Sunblast
Bug [SOLVED] Red Cross logo is copyrighted. Harmata 46 55,985 07-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Frustrating graphical issues with Netradiant, issues with textures not appearing Chromatose 16 18,912 06-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hutty
  Netradiant issues clanclanclan 3 6,045 10-20-2010, 02:36 AM
Last Post: clanclanclan
  Xonotic logo EPS anyone? kay 0 3,249 04-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Last Post: kay