Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Logo Refinement, Addressing Technical Issues, Inspiring Others

D: That means I'll have to make those changes all over again, or backport it.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

(06-02-2010, 10:42 AM)Roanoke Wrote: D: That means I'll have to make those changes all over again, or backport it.
With all due respect, the only thing different is that your wings are raised a bit, everything else is the same as in my r1:
[Image: d4mmk19nzim7x6aj7zwf_thumb.png] (difference between the two versions)

Actually, the version I linked to was visually identical to your version, but had a cleaned up source (each element named and commented), layers, and metadata and license data for the file on the whole. The next version I posted had changes.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

(06-02-2010, 11:08 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Actually, the version I linked to was visually identical to your version, but had a cleaned up source (each element named and commented), layers, and metadata and license data for the file on the whole. The next version I posted had changes.

The comparison was made with your last version.

Apart from the metadata, I don't think it's necessary to name and comment everything, because the paths have quite self-explanatory ID's. For example, the path with ID "PhoenixHead" doesn't really need additional <desc> and <title> tags, this adds a lot of redundant and unnecessary data (the additional tags have in turn their own ID's i.e. <desc id="desc3106">The head of the Xonotic Phoenix.</desc> <title id="title3104">Phoenix Head</title>).

I also don't think it's necessary to put them into different layers. It makes it more complicated to work with.

are you seriously discussing about how to comment the logo source when nothing is final yet?!

(06-02-2010, 06:17 AM)sev Wrote: That's kerning. Putting in extra space between T I C looks very silly, have a look at the original logo without the pheonix. I think it's better to have clean kerning than a perfectly centered pheonix.

Thanks, I know what kerning is. But please take step back and look at your last revision again. You have been looking at it for hours, but imagine someone seeing it for the first time.

There is a full letter outside of the left wing, and nothing at all outside the right wing. This is VERY obvious at first glance that something is wrong, I can't be the only one seeing that, it looks very uneven Undecided Silly or not without the wings, with the wings it's just as silly because it is uneven. If you think extra space isn't an option then I don't know what to suggest. I'm just saying, no matter how perfectly centered the whole logo is, it'll never look centered because there is too much "weight" on the left. The phoenix's wings are symmetrical and since the head+quake circle are at the center between the wings, that is what attracts the eye, good luck fighting that illusion.

I just don't like how the head is below those wings, it looks weird, just place that new head on the current wings.

(06-02-2010, 12:27 PM)nifrek Wrote: Silly or not without the wings, with the wings it's just as silly because it is uneven. If you think extra space isn't an option then I don't know what to suggest. I'm just saying, no matter how perfectly centered the whole logo is, it'll never look centered because there is too much "weight" on the left. The phoenix's wings are symmetrical and since the head+quake circle are at the center between the wings, that is what attracts the eye, good luck fighting that illusion.

There's no point in arguing which is sillier.
I try to do it as good as I can. In my opinion, there is no point in trying to center it, because the overall center of "XONOTIC" is not in the center of the 2nd O (unless you use a monospace font)

If you think it should be done differently, feel free to grab the sourcefile, edit it with an svg editor, and convince me with your revision. (The letters can be moved individually)

I like the icon as-is. I also like the new vertical gradient on the full logo. However, I think that the two should be "combined": i.e., don't apply the gradient to the head in the second O. That lower part stands out to me; it's what I like most about the icon. But with the new gradient, you lose most of that lower "neck" region.
EDIT: Here's my take:
[Image: oinrur5doplx6rtbivad.png]
(Sorry for the low res, I just did a quick 'shop with the png's. It's not intended to be official, just a proof of concept, per se.)

I'm not getting into the whole kerning/centering thing right now. As long as the text looks good and stylish in the end, I'm happy. (Readability would be nice, too, but that's optional Tongue )
Humans... Dodgy

"There is no problem that cannot be solved by a judicious application of carnivorous dinosaurs." -JayIsGames.com

^^^^^ EDIT: I like the idea of emphasizing the icon part

Here is a rough draft adding a tail and altering the head. I've included my messy working file (not that messy) if you'd like to play with it:

[Image: 4td01fae0bawi1vxx23o.png]

http://z.nexuizninjaz.com/graphics/xonot...-rough.svg

Nice... although I'm still undecided on whether the tail is a good idea...

Also, I just noticed this, but: as much as the center O is supposed to be a nod to the Quake logo, its shape and position relative to the phoenix head make me notice that it looks suspiciously like a collarbone. Dodgy

(Come to think of it, that would actually make a cool choker/collar/neck thingie on playermodels. Or it could be that the phoenix is "tamed," symbolizing that the Xonotic project is under control, in contrast to the Nexuiz debacle...? Hmmm... idk)

P.S. Who made the original logo design? sev? -z-?
Humans... Dodgy

"There is no problem that cannot be solved by a judicious application of carnivorous dinosaurs." -JayIsGames.com

Well, I made that head too big in the one with the tail, here it is again with a smaller head and no tail, different kerning

dokujisan took parts of morpheds, his and dib's?

[Image: e2dvbv6cf6v4vpqxzz5w.png]

I never made a logo Tongue

Clarification: Who made the ORIGINAL logo? I assumed that it was you, -z-, because you started the thread and mentioned that you were bouncing a file back and forth with Plasmasheep, but I could be wrong...

EDIT: nvm it doesn't matter; -z-'s maintaining the logo right now, and seems to be the main creator of the current logo, so he gets +rep (that's why I was asking originally)
Humans... Dodgy

Original logo was dokujisan's, but a lot of people got it to where it is now. Z, I like both your last concepts, I definitely like the kerning in the second concept. However, I liked the radial gradient from sev's versions with the stripes. If you give me the source I can actually make what I'm talking about instead of just talking about it.

IIRC, the source was posted about a page or so back.
Humans... Dodgy

Not for z's latest concept.

My mashup of several concepts (sev, z, my own):
http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/4oen...n5h9fr.svg

(06-02-2010, 07:23 PM)-z- Wrote: Well, I made that head too big in the one with the tail, here it is again with a smaller head and no tail, different kerning

Do you have a .png with transparent backround? I could need it.

Recap of latest concepts:
Sev
[Image: 7rapx28qhdipduh29cgp.png]

VNilla
[Image: oinrur5doplx6rtbivad.png]

-z-
[Image: 4td01fae0bawi1vxx23o.png]

Roanoke
http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/4oen...n5h9fr.svg

Maybe it's the fact that it's 11:15 at night here, but I just had the strange idea that this would be more awesome if it was in "curled 3D" (à la the Universal Studios logo or the title graphic for Zombieland), as if the text were being wrapped around the front side of a sphere.

Also, nice recap! Smile

I have to say that I prefer the ones where the phoenix has no tail (read: not -z-'s).
Humans... Dodgy

(06-04-2010, 10:18 PM)VNilla Wrote: Maybe it's the fact that it's 11:15 at night here, but I just had the strange idea that this would be more awesome if it was in "curled 3D" (à la the Universal Studios logo or the title graphic for Zombieland), as if the text were being wrapped around the front side of a sphere.
A reference for those in the dark (me):
[Image: Zombieland-poster.jpg]

Well, If we make the text like that, we need to make the phoenix like that, and that would be wrapping it against a sphere that does not clearly exist due to the form of the logo. Zombieland works because the text is the only logo component, I think.

(06-04-2010, 10:18 PM)VNilla Wrote: I have to say that I prefer the ones where the phoenix has no tail (read: not -z-'s).
Not one of -z-'s Tongue

(06-04-2010, 10:18 PM)VNilla Wrote: I have to say that I prefer the ones where the phoenix has no tail (read: not -z-'s).

It really wasn't necessary for you to be an ass about it. I clearly stated it was a rough draft I was showing to other artists so maybe they would be inspired by it. I believe the point that I was going back towards the original concept was emphasized by the latest concept I posted which did not include the tail.

(06-04-2010, 05:37 PM)Fisume Wrote:
(06-02-2010, 07:23 PM)-z- Wrote: Well, I made that head too big in the one with the tail, here it is again with a smaller head and no tail, different kerning

Do you have a .png with transparent backround? I could need it.

My source is a little sloppy, namely the layered shadows. I spoke with sev in PM about the latest concept and he will be posting some refinements with all things in mind.

Not helping. Especially because -z- gave some valid input (kerning).

Here's my new revision. New kerning, smaller head, cleaned up svg file(s).

Version with headshape close to the original:
[Image: 30527fk0a3f0yz62gzzh.png]
EDIT: I packed all logo concept and revision files into a single zip: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1djg9gc6d7...ncepts.zip

Version with more realistic headshape:
[Image: qp0b66qztnric1f0fj1j.png]
EDIT: I packed all logo concept and revision files into a single zip: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1djg9gc6d7...ncepts.zip

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warpzone issues / troubleshooting Notavi 9 5,073 06-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Mario
Question Issues with deformVertexes autosprite2 and alphashadow kristus 7 5,962 06-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Last Post: kristus
  Shader Issues With Q3A Texture Replacement Packs Orbiter Sunblast 2 5,143 09-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Orbiter Sunblast
  New Playermodel; need some technical help poVoq 16 23,276 08-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Orbiter Sunblast
Bug [SOLVED] Red Cross logo is copyrighted. Harmata 46 55,711 07-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Frustrating graphical issues with Netradiant, issues with textures not appearing Chromatose 16 18,756 06-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hutty
  Netradiant issues clanclanclan 3 6,014 10-20-2010, 02:36 AM
Last Post: clanclanclan
  Xonotic logo EPS anyone? kay 0 3,232 04-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Last Post: kay