Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NEEDS INFO] Multiplayer connection issue

Question 
I apologise if this is in the wrong place.

I recently found this game and instantly fell in love. However, I do have an issue when attempting to play online: In the server list under the multiplayer tab, nothing is ever listed. Perhaps I'm using the wrong port? Did I miss some configuration somewhere? I'm pretty confused. I'd love to play this game with more than just bots by my lonesome, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! Tongue

UPDATE: I notice sometimes after re-starting the game, the server list will be populated. The rest of the time, it still remains empty. Not sure what's causing this.

Make sure that the "Empty" checkbox on the server list is ticked, and also make sure that the "Pause" box is unticked.

There are certain times of the day that all the servers tend to be empty, which won't help.

That said, you may have an issue connecting to the master server. I've seen a few people offer advice on connection issues like that (not experienced with that tho), so hopefully someone else might be able to offer a solution for you.
[Image: 21975.jpg]

Quote:“To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.” - Douglas Adams

Yeah, I've tried fiddling with all of chose checkboxes, but to no avail. It still appears to decide wether it wants to populate the server list or not at random.

It should work out of the box. You are probably using some weird linux distro.
erebus minstanex erebus Angel

That is a very useful comment, Pendulla.

Do you have any unusual setup, like a firewall blocking parts of the traffic, uhm, temporarily...?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(06-14-2016, 01:37 AM)Pendulla Wrote: It should work out of the box. You are probably using some weird linux distro.

I wouldn't consider Netrunner or Kubuntu to be that weird, and my Windows using friends are reporting the same issues.

(06-14-2016, 02:03 AM)Halogene Wrote: That is a very useful comment, Pendulla.

Do you have any unusual setup, like a firewall blocking parts of the traffic, uhm, temporarily...?

I've not yet setup a firewall on my machines, so that's out too. It's almost as if every 1/3 times I start the game, the server list becomes populated.

Can you check if you can reliably reach http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic with a browser? If not, the probkem resides outside Xonotic.

(I think that is the URL of the dpmaster server that Xonotic contacts? Anyone with deeper knowledge please correct me if I'm wrong)
My Xonstats Profile

(06-14-2016, 03:46 AM)Halogene Wrote: Can you check if you can reliably reach http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic with a browser? If not, the probkem resides outside Xonotic.

(I think that is the URL of the dpmaster server that Xonotic contacts? Anyone with deeper knowledge please correct me if I'm wrong)

It appears as if I am indeed able to reach that URL via web browser.
https://u.pomf.is/ybgdnk.png

Ok, so you are using Netrunner. Which version of Xonotic are you using? Git version or the one downloaded from www.xonotic.org?

I'd appreciate if the more techy folks would step in to help here. Also you might try to ask on #xonotic@freenode IRC, that could bring a quicker response.
My Xonstats Profile

(06-14-2016, 05:39 AM)Halogene Wrote: Ok, so you are using Netrunner. Which version of Xonotic are you using? Git version or the one downloaded from www.xonotic.org?

I'd appreciate if the more techy folks would step in to help here. Also you might try to ask on #xonotic@freenode IRC, that could bring a quicker response.

I'm using the version downloaded from xonotic.org.

I just downloaded the game and I have the same issue. Though I noticed that my internet connection gets completely blocked when I open the in-game server list. I.e. I open the server list, alt-tab to web browser and nothing loads, other software loses connection immediately. I switch back to the game, close the server list and open settings menu and... after a few moments everything is fine again.

Adrint, I recommend you and your friends open the game in windowed mode and do similar observations.

http://puu.sh/ptCKp/e619496847.jpg

(06-15-2016, 08:52 AM)gamma Wrote: I just downloaded the game and I have the same issue. Though I noticed that my internet connection gets completely blocked when I open the in-game server list. I.e. I open the server list, alt-tab to web browser and nothing loads, other software loses connection immediately. I switch back to the game, close the server list and open settings menu and... after a few moments everything is fine again.

Adrint, I recommend you and your friends open the game in windowed mode and do similar observations.

http://puu.sh/ptCKp/e619496847.jpg

I've been running the game in windowed mode for a while, and I can say I'm lucky to not have that issue. I'm able to browse the forums and tinker with the game at the same time.

Well, "tinker"... you can't really do much with the server menu when it doesn't work, right?

If you accidentally put something in the filter and no server happens to match your filter, you may have an empty list.

Could you post a screenshot?

(06-15-2016, 11:28 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: If you accidentally put something in the filter and no server happens to match your filter, you may have an empty list.

Could you post a screenshot?

I would assume there is nothing in the filter field.
https://u.pomf.is/jsbvds.png

You are right -- all the options you selected on that screen are correct.

The problem is probably on the network side of things (firewalls, either your Windows firewall, router firewall, or your ISP firewall). Could you provide more details on your environment? (Windows version, router setup, ISP, region, etc.)

While the folks here are helping figure out the problem, the addresses you see on http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic can be placed into the "Address" box in the screenshot you showed me. For example, my server "BuddyFriendGuy Fun Server" has the address "52.201.70.199:26000". Put that into the "Address" bar and click "Join!". You should still be able to connect to the server.

(06-16-2016, 10:50 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: You are right -- all the options you selected on that screen are correct.

The problem is probably on the network side of things (firewalls, either your Windows firewall, router firewall, or your ISP firewall). Could you provide more details on your environment? (Windows version, router setup, ISP, region, etc.)

While the folks here are helping figure out the problem, the addresses you see on http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic can be placed into the "Address" box in the screenshot you showed me. For example, my server "BuddyFriendGuy Fun Server" has the address "52.201.70.199:26000". Put that into the "Address" bar and click "Join!". You should still be able to connect to the server.

While the server list displayed nothing, I was indeed able to connect to the server you listed by entering it's address manually.
As for the other details you requested,

Windows version: Not using windows, lad. Netrunner Linux.
Router setup: Standard wifi, wpa network
ISP: "Shaw communications" (Canadian)
Region: Canada

UPDATE: No firewalls yet implimented at this time.

Silly question: Do you have an IPv4 address, or IPv6, or both?

Just wondering if this is something related to IPv4/IPv6 which is causing trouble.
[Image: 21975.jpg]

Quote:“To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.” - Douglas Adams

cefiar, it looks like Adrint has IPv4 support to connect to those IPv4 servers.

Adrint, many of us here are running Arch without problems so let's keep trying.

Some latest code commit did suggest some master server might not be stable. Perhaps your ISP DNS is serving some old IP address? Mine is. Could you go into your console (for me the key bind is TILDE/BACKQUOTE), and type "sv_master" and then press TAB? Mine shows the following:

Code:
[2016-06-20 01:45:52] 7 possible variables:
[2016-06-20 01:45:52] sv_master1 is "" [""] user-chosen master server 1
[2016-06-20 01:45:52] sv_master2 is "" [""] user-chosen master server 2
[2016-06-20 01:45:52] sv_master3 is "" [""] user-chosen master server 3
[2016-06-20 01:45:52] sv_master4 is "" [""] user-chosen master server 4
[2016-06-20 01:45:52] sv_masterextra1 is "69.59.212.88" ["69.59.212.88"] ghdigital.com - default master server 1 (admin: LordHavoc)
[2016-06-20 01:45:52] sv_masterextra2 is "107.161.23.68" ["107.161.23.68"] dpmaster.deathmask.net - default master server 2 (admin: Willis)
[2016-06-20 01:45:52] sv_masterextra3 is "92.62.40.73" ["92.62.40.73"] dpmaster.tchr.no - default master server 3 (admin: tChr)

My ISP's DNS gives me 207.55.114.154, rather than the factory setting 69.59.212.88. By inspecting the packets, I confirmed that my client sent out an UDP request to all 3 IPs listed in the config, but only the second server responded. I fixed it by re-assigning sv_masterextra1 to "ghdigital.com" (you should probably do the same for the other two variables.) To do that, I added the following line to ~/.xonotic/data/autoexec.cfg and restart the game.

Code:
sv_masterextra1 "ghdigital.com"

If that still doesn't work, could you double check that neither your router, your system (iptables/nftables), nor your ISP is blocking your access to those servers (UDP port 27950)?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up [NEED HELP] How to add more bots in multiplayer funbags 0 529 03-30-2023, 10:13 PM
Last Post: funbags
  [NEED HELP] Multiplayer server listed twice - causes glitchy play Space Ace 4 3,088 08-10-2018, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Space Ace
  [BUG] Connection failure Bloodthorn 0 2,005 06-10-2018, 05:06 AM
Last Post: Bloodthorn
  [SOLVED] Weird key hold issue with official version Bloodthorn 9 4,908 05-21-2018, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Bloodthorn
  [SOLVED] Little resolution issue since using Xonotic 0.8.1 N1mbus 4 4,673 09-03-2015, 02:34 PM
Last Post: N1mbus
  [SOLVED] Wierd rendering issue Ogger73 3 4,029 05-24-2015, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Mirio
Sad [NEED HELP] Connection issues/ Inactive netstat Totally_Cool 0 2,544 12-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Totally_Cool
  [NEED HELP] Weird Display Issue w/ Benchmarking Autobuild gamingwithnetbooks 2 3,841 11-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Last Post: gamingwithnetbooks
  [SOLVED] Ubuntu 12.04 Install Issue Red Viper 6 7,944 03-08-2014, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  [BUG] Mac OSX 10.9 (Possibly 10.8 as well) Video Issue sirdavesmith 0 3,101 10-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Last Post: sirdavesmith