Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Weapon Balance - Live on /v/ server

(09-23-2016, 09:05 AM)Mario Wrote: Guaranteeing a kill because you were able to bounce someone off the edge seems less enriching to me.
It's as easy to knock people off as how easy of a target you are. If you walk around an edge or if you jump up straight without any kind of air maneuvering - disregarding any line of fire people have on you then you should be punished for that. However if you instead make rocket stronger to make void recovery possible - then it will be all the more easier to knock people off the map in first place, it will also be easier to pin people up in the ceiling/walls in non space maps as well. This is what I initially noticed as we were playing on indoor maps. If a balance change affects more prevalent areas rather than it's intended areas then it's an objectionable balance change decision.

Beginner/intermediate player chiming in.

As someone who is not good with the vortex and gets shot with it all the time, I don't think its damage should be reduced. When I only hit once out of 3-5 times, I would have absolutely no motivation to use the vortex if it did significantly less damage, as I could definitely do more damage with other weapons. If it has high damage, it's worth trying. And of course if it did less dmg, the pros who hit 50+% of the time would still use it all the time, while others would have no reason to use and practice it. If it gets used too much, you could somehow reduce the ammo available for it; then we still have a motivation to use it when we have ammo for it.

As for the crylink, I don't find it any easier to do damage with it than with the mortar. It needs about the same predictive aim, perhaps the mortar is a bit easier because I can just aim at the feet which usually does a lot of splash damage (and at longer distances the mortar is definitely better anyway). And it's not like the auto explosion guarantees max damage all the time; on servers which show the amount of damage done, I regularly see myself do just 10-30 dmg when I don't aim and time it properly. I know that most good players don't use the crylink much (preferring the rl/mortar/vortex); don't you find it obnoxious simply because you get hit by a weapon you assumed useless? Smile
I find the hagar quite useful at close ranges (and so do often my opponents Smile); even better if the spread was removed, I don't know whether that would make it too powerful.

Of course I don't know how all this plays out in battles between pros.

(09-24-2016, 09:31 AM)Smilecythe Wrote: If a balance change affects more prevalent areas rather than it's intended areas then it's an objectionable balance change decision.

Nerfing the rocket launcher force was a balance decision, one neither of us had any part in.
Ideally, it wouldn't be able to push players around as much as it does with the high force setting, but it can't be stressed enough how useless the rocket jumping is in current balance. A game mechanic wasted away by the balance decisions of those who made 0.1 such a terrible release...
[Image: 230.png]

(09-30-2016, 06:51 AM)gd Wrote: Beginner/intermediate player chiming in.
Which matches were you playing? (If you don't know the match id on XonStats, you could just describe the map name, date, and time.)

(09-30-2016, 11:23 AM)Antares* Wrote:
(09-30-2016, 06:51 AM)gd Wrote: Beginner/intermediate player chiming in.
Which matches were you playing? (If you don't know the match id on XonStats, you could just describe the map name, date, and time.)

Ah, I didn't play on the /v/ server because it has too high ping for me, sorry if it was understood that way. My xonstat id is 75551, I just made general observations, I didn't refer to specific matches.

Ideally, there'd be feedback specifically from those who have played the balance instead of opinions of estimations on how the balance would play out (though at this point it's not too bad to see what impressions mere descriptions will make, and to contrast actual play with posted estimations).

(That opening post does mention: if you've played it, let us know what you think.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where are Weapon skins? NoClue 0 1,356 07-07-2022, 01:26 PM
Last Post: NoClue
  Quake live mouse acceleration implementation successfully coded! I have questions Draena 0 2,173 03-09-2020, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Draena
  Can I adjust the weapon model size and stuff? Molnija 1 2,265 03-13-2019, 12:28 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  weapon size Molnija 0 2,144 12-03-2018, 05:22 AM
Last Post: Molnija
  Official Overkill balance martin-t 38 25,922 10-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Last Post: martin-t
Rainbow curvegun (custom weapon) dingus 8 8,803 08-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Last Post: dingus
  Weapon models WIP help. Beagle 1 3,489 05-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  Balance changes?! Mario 15 14,779 05-10-2015, 06:19 AM
Last Post: FruitieX
  Weapon and Lightning Gun Testing Mario 18 16,152 11-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  weapon with different effects according to team soukaina 23 19,061 06-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo