Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I wish to help Xonotic

Sorry if creating a thread here is the wrong way for introducing myself, but i've searched for a open "Help Wanted" topic without finding anything...

I've seen the Xonotic Community more active recently and I wish to help with anything possible, to make this game even better...

I truly believe Darkplaces has a lot of firepower for creating a kickass game, but I still have a few doubts on how to proceed to a few things...

I have a little experience mapping for IDT4 Games, using DarkRadiant and QuArK... I've also played a bit with GtkRadiant on Q3A... But this NetRadiant, is quite impossible to make it run on my OSX 10.6.8, QuArK runs well through Wineskin, DarkRadiant have a native version for OSX... I really wish to map for Xonotic, but without netradiant it seems impossible...

I also have experience with video editing / compositing, and I have a few ideas to share, about creating a xonotic splash video and other video stuff, if the community thinks it could be nice... I also have a few doubts regarding video recording on DarkPlaces...

I also have some experience with Photoshop (and a license too), maybe I can help creating GUI elements and such things...

So... This is my "Introducing myself" post, now you all can throw questions or ideas of what can I do to start helping this awesome game become even better!

Ps: Sorry for the bad english!

Welcome! I didn't notice anything wrong in your english, so that last line is a bit of a surprise Tongue

I'm pretty sure someone here can help you compile NetRadiant on mac OS (10.5.8). Read the "COMPILING" file in the sources. Also, here's a thread with a few pointers, but beware, it's an old thread: link.

I can try to walk you through this in a few days if needed.

A splash video is feasible I think, but there are some technicalities involved (it's a weird format). We also have to consider whether we want one Wink

As for the rest, I'll try to address it next week, I'm a bit busy right now. I'll speak with the team to see if they need something.

Thanks!

Hello! This is absolutely great to see somenoe creative like you in our community! Welcome to Xonotic forums!
Map making and movie making is crucial when it comes to developing and advertising this game. I wish you good luck with that.

"I really wish to map for Xonotic, but without netradiant it seems impossible..." Hmm... I hope you will fix your issues with software. I cannot help you for I am using Windows 7 (64) and netradiant works fine for me.

This page as an slightly older build of Netradiant for Macs:
http://ingar.satgnu.net/gtkradiant/
And I am sure if you contact that guy he will be happy to help you compile a newer version.

Edit: I just saw that those builds require an X11 build for mac. you can get it here: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/

Maybe you can also get this to work: http://www.redsaurus.net/00/node/4 (but honestly, why bother if you can get a Netradiant build working).

The "Ingar" Build doesnt come with Zlib or any kind of compression library, so, it doesn't open pk3 data!

Also, it's quite unstable...

I'll take a look on the compile file and if I can get it to work...

I don't think mappers work with pk3s directly anyway. You should work on the unpacked data, and pack it up for releases.

I know that we must work with unpacked data, but for the textures from the "master" branch, its better to keep it packed, to avoid packing already existent textures in master branch on the final map pk3 file...

Well... I've compiled a NetRadiant here, and will test it now, to see if it works as it should... =D

Quote:Maybe you can also get this to work: http://www.redsaurus.net/00/node/4 (but honestly, why bother if you can get a Netradiant build working).

MacRadiant doesn't manage large maps very well...

I want to map two big maps for start, one assault gigantic space map and one gigantic CTF "factory" map...

NetRadiant is running well here, lets see if it keep up the stability!

It's weird the performance hit i've seen in Ingar NetRadiant in my Mac, since my Mac is a quite overpowered one (custom upgraded - 990x as processor, GTX Titan as GPU).

Well, if it runs well share your build with the community also. But I doubt that there are that many spoiled MacOSX users around here :p Why waste perfectly good hardware on which you can install Linux Big Grin

Just for the record, it is not that trivial to install Linux on Apple hardware. I tried really hard to get a working Arch Linux install on my MacBook Pro, and failed. I eventually managed to install Ubuntu on it, but Apple's hardware can be a real pain in the ass when it comes to making it work under Linux. I can tell.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I have installed Elementary OS here, but the lack of Photoshop CS6, AfterEffects CS6, Premiere CS6, Pixelmator 2, Coda 2, Maya and a lot of other software, simply doesn't work for me... =(

Xonotic runs well on Elementary OS, isn't the same FPS on Mac OS X, for a unknown reason, on Mac OS X, Xonotic runs a little bit faster here (600+ FPS - Reference: Stormkeep) while it gets 150~ FPS on Elementary OS.

(06-27-2013, 02:07 PM)bonobomapper Wrote: I know that we must work with unpacked data, but for the textures from the "master" branch, its better to keep it packed, to avoid packing already existent textures in master branch on the final map pk3 file...

You're right. I should learn to use NR before offering advice about it, I apologize Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Need modelling help. _para 3 1,075 03-17-2023, 02:34 AM
Last Post: anoob
  need modeling help MusicGoat 5 2,953 08-23-2022, 08:34 AM
Last Post: NoClue
  Help, how I create a new texture for mapping? derrant 9 4,831 09-02-2021, 05:08 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  Texture and Player Model Creation Help Molnija 5 4,950 09-30-2018, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Molnija
  Gravity help Molnija 4 2,616 08-17-2018, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Molnija
  Waypoints Help TapX 10 5,827 08-07-2018, 06:59 AM
Last Post: TapX
  Jump pad help. TapX 1 1,695 06-23-2018, 05:04 AM
Last Post: _para
  NetRadiant Spawn points help. TapX 18 8,980 06-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Garux
  I need help with textures. [Solved] TapX 5 4,141 05-11-2018, 02:22 PM