Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Fee Nex is NOT using Dark Places engine

It will be using Cry Engine 3. Ill***ic just confirmed this on Facebook. They changed the engine, why they don't change the name is beyond me.

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/news/nexuiz-cons...ine-3.html
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

wow what does this mean?
Is this good or bad for us? Will engine development slow down?
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

no idea :o
info:
This message was written with 100% recycled electrons!!! Angel
No trees were destroyed and no animals were harmed.

I imagine it may, I bet half the reason for the switch was the controversy over potential GPL code. Either way, it won't slow Xonotic down at least I don't think it will since it is being developed with DarkPlaces current limitations in mind.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

But I figure Lord Havoc won't have any pressure anymore to implement some of the improvements into the darkplaces engine that were intended and required for the Illfonic console thingy. So in a way, I guess, this will slow down engine development indirectly.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Seriously, I wtf'ed.

Hmmm, they already paid for Dark Places didn't they? is this good business? does a monkey eat peanuts? are clams good in chowder?
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

It depends.
My Xonstats Profile

Wasn't there any "give backs" to the community?
If they are now using the Cry Engine instead of the Darkplaces Engine there will be no codepieces for the community... Undecided

EDIT: Sorry for my bad english. Maybe I should use google translate instead. Big Grin

Why settle for limitations of the engine; when we could improve it? Darkplaces is open-source; so rather than wish we had a better engine, we could create our own branch of Darkplaces, and this could greatly improve the quality of the game!

... and who is supposed to do that? :o?
My Xonstats Profile

(07-14-2010, 09:52 AM)pyr0 Wrote: Wasn't there any "give backs" to the community?
If they are now using the Cry Engine instead of the Darkplaces Engine there will be no codepieces for the community... Undecided
Nope, it was explicitly said that there would be no contributions to darkplaces, iirc.

(07-14-2010, 09:58 AM)IDWMaster Wrote: Why settle for limitations of the engine; when we could improve it? Darkplaces is open-source; so rather than wish we had a better engine, we could create our own branch of Darkplaces, and this could greatly improve the quality of the game!
Because maintaining an engine takes a team. Best approach is to just make modifications/patches and submit them to the DP team for committing.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

(07-14-2010, 12:04 PM)Roanoke Wrote:
(07-14-2010, 09:52 AM)pyr0 Wrote: Wasn't there any "give backs" to the community?
Nope, it was explicitly said that there would be no contributions to darkplaces, iirc.

(07-14-2010, 09:58 AM)IDWMaster Wrote: Why settle for limitations of the engine; when we could improve it? Darkplaces is open-source; so rather than wish we had a better engine, we could create our own branch of Darkplaces, and this could greatly improve the quality of the game!
Because maintaining an engine takes a team. Best approach is to just make modifications/patches and submit them to the DP team for committing.
Great idea! Who's going to make the patches?

Whoever decides they want to change the engine somehow and knows how to write whatever the engine is written in (C, is it?)
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

I think it's written in C or C++! All those good 3d things are written in C-Languages!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

This basically means that the ONLY thing they took from us was the name and the logo.
Nothing else.

This makes... so much nonsense...

The name, which is a typo.

It's starting to seem like the console version of Nexuiz has real potential to become great vaporware.
Once you go -ck you never go back.
This signature is licensed under the BSD license. There is no need to relicense your brain once you have committed it to memory.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Serenity recreated in Quake 3 engine Greaserpirate 3 11,345 06-11-2016, 11:50 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Mario Kart Unreal Engine 4 Beagle 0 3,545 02-17-2016, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Beagle
  Star Wars: Battlecry (Unreal Engine 4) rocknroll237 128 182,395 05-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Last Post: rocknroll237
  Project Nex kojn^ 71 71,085 02-17-2015, 01:08 PM
Last Post: machine!
  Xoreos: Bringing the Aurora Engine to Linux FutureSuture 0 4,214 08-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Last Post: FutureSuture
  Using Git to develop legislation Minkovsky 2 3,648 09-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  Weird requests from the dark corners of the internet? Minkovsky 8 7,698 05-22-2012, 05:10 AM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  misc: game-engine project... BGB 9 10,688 09-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Last Post: BGB
  Stumbled upon a cool search engine that I like more than Google Lee_Stricklin 6 10,101 03-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Last Post: mood
  Steel Storm - another game using the DarkPlaces engine divVerent 7 13,194 01-02-2011, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin