Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Duel] bmn1_b2 (WIP)

Hey,
So I was working on converting an older map I made to Xonotic. I've managed to get it up to playable state and am looking for feedback. The map is entirely centered around duel (we actually had a 4 man dm on it and it was just spawnfrag central) and I've already made a few revisions based on initial duels and feedback. 

Current textures are all just 1 colour with the exception of the floor. Lighting is pretty basic and needs another pass

The map contains:
  • 3 Armor Shards, 2 25a's, 1 50a 1 MA
  • 3 Health Shards, 3 25h's, 1 50h, 1 MH
  • MG, Devastator (x2), Mortar, Electro

I'd also like to give a big thanks to T0uYK8Ne, Antares*, Sawa, and all of the playtesters for their assistance in bringing about the latest beta

The current version can be found here (Dropbox link). 

Changelist for b3

Changes

MA side
  • More changes for Bmn1. b3 should be done now
  • Swapped MA room ammo
  • Added another ammo pickup to 2f, near the window to MA plat/above 50h
MH side
  • Swapped 50a and Devastator
  • Moved Armor Shards to 2f corridor leading to MH
  • Centered Health Shards below the "bridge"
Central room
  • Replaced the central pillar. It is now shorter, wider, and inclined
  • Made the mortar platform smaller
Fixes
  • Fixed a texture issue on the Electro stairs
  • Made lava an appropriate depth
  • Fixed an issue where one of the lava pools hadn't been extended properly
  • Fixed a hole in the wall
[Image: 53cbr.jpg] [Image: GKcyO.jpg]
[Image: 5garx.jpg] [Image: Zx1cr.jpg]

(I just realized now that I didn't quite turn everything off for my screenshots. Ah well)

Hi Beemann, I just had a quick run around in the map - I like the simple textures.
I'm not a good player, so don't take my comments all too seriously Wink
The map is quite small - I'm guessing some might even feel that it is too small for duels.
The "pole" in the room with the grenade laucher is not needed - I think you could remove it.
And for me, some of the smaller pickups feel too close to the walls/corners - maybe move then out another 8 units or so.
Cheers

I played a duel on it and liked it very much. I did find dominating the mega health not hard to dominate (once I get the first with luck). I don't know too much about dueling so this may just be specific dynamic between me and my opponent on that day.

(07-24-2017, 01:55 PM)munyul Wrote: Hi Beemann, I just had a quick run around in the map - I like the simple textures.
I'm not a good player, so don't take my comments all too seriously Wink
The map is quite small - I'm guessing some might even feel that it is too small for duels.
The "pole" in the room with the grenade laucher is not needed - I think you could remove it.
And for me, some of the smaller pickups feel too close to the walls/corners - maybe move then out another 8 units or so.
Cheers
It's definitely more of a "close quarters" duel map, but I think there's more "functional room" if you will, than some of the other small duel maps (q3's phrantic being an excellent example, and one that has been ported to Xonotic at that)
As for the middle room, I'm still experimenting with it. I agree that the pillar isn't really doing much and will replace it with something else in the next version
I'll take another look at the items as well on my next pass. Much of it was done for spacing reasons

(07-24-2017, 04:52 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: I played a duel on it and liked it very much. I did find dominating the mega health not hard to dominate (once I get the first with luck). I don't know too much about dueling so this may just be specific dynamic between me and my opponent on that day.
The MH is definitely easier to get than the MA, but I've found it very easy to punish to the point where I've pinned people in there (not only knocking the MH out of them, but outright getting the frag). The idea behind both of them is to be fairly dangerous spots to be, but obviously the other player has to capitalize on that. I have thought about making the cubby reach a little deeper and/or open it up a little more in a way that just makes it more vulnerable, but I wanted to see what the feedback from more duels was. As it stands though, fire from below the "bridge" or from the two upper floor flanking spots can dish out a ton of damage from a position of relative safety if you're using the mortar/devastator. It's also probably a pretty good spot for an electro combo for people who are more keen on that sort of thing, but I can never get into the habit of regularly using that gun myself

Thanks to both of you for your feedback.

I would suggest adding a few more shards to create some sound cues, change one of the 25a to a 50a to help balance for the down player, and removing one of the rocket spawns. Maybe put the 2nd 50a at the lower rocket spawn, and remove that rocket launcher. That way the room won't have armor plus rocket + mortar.
[Image: 29271.png]

<Samual> Everybody better be playing I Wish by Skee-Lo, it is the song of my duels!

This map, and my rating.

Go forth and increase the roster of maps without Vortex, while having more than 2 spots to get any armor.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Beta 3 is now available. Thank you for your feedback. I'm definitely happier with where the middle room is at now, and I think I'm in a better spot as far as item placement goes. As always I'm more than happy to receive feedback

Quote:KoalaBearScarf

I would suggest adding a few more shards to create some sound cues, change one of the 25a to a 50a to help balance for the down player, and removing one of the rocket spawns. Maybe put the 2nd 50a at the lower rocket spawn, and remove that rocket launcher. That way the room won't have armor plus rocket + mortar.
I tried the MH room devastator/50a swap for now, making it a little less dangerous to go for the 50a overall (because it's no longer in the splash room). I also moved the shards from the bridge to the dominant MH ambush spot. I might add more as well, but the map feels quite full as it is. Maybe if I shifted something into the MA room on the floor it would give enough space elsewhere on the map without having it feel overly crowded? MG and middle Devastator could work, and I'm kinda leaning towards the latter the more I think about it, just to break up the concentration of explosives on MH side without bailing on some of the placements I have set up currently

Map walkthrough of bmn1. Enjoy!

asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Hello, I personall find this map very interesting and enjoyable. However, a lot of people find its lack of textures to be offsetting.

Would you, Beemann, be against me further developing this map?

Edit: it seems the looks can be improved by simply recompiling it:

[Image: kNk4HoP.jpg]

Since link rot is starting to happen, I am attaching a copy of this map here. This map may not be open source; there is no license information included with the map; since the map was released to the general public in this thread, I will assume redistributing the map is allowed unless told otherwise.

Beemann: Are you willing to give this map an explicit license, so we can know under what terms we can download, distribute, and modify this map?

Attached Files
.pk3   bmn1_b3.pk3 (Size: 1.75 MB / Downloads: 3)
Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post except for attachments is public domain and any attachments, if present, are available under an open source compatible license.

I have added some slight changes to map to improve the looks.
  • Compiled it with highest settings
  • Added a couple of clips to reduce player's chances of getting stuck in geometry.
  • Changed a skybox to the one that has more light.
  • Added textures for teleporters to make them easier to notice.
  • Added floodlight to make dark places brighter (yes I know, not really an improvement)
Otherwise the layout is the same. If server admins host this then hopefully people will be more willing to play it Smile

Attached Files
.pk3   bmn1_b4.pk3 (Size: 1.58 MB / Downloads: 9)

hosted

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug [WIP] Aquanica Z(Rus) 15 7,883 12-22-2020, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Z(Rus)
  [DUEL] Graphite (WIP) t0uYK8Ne 15 9,459 05-01-2020, 07:12 PM
Last Post: samiam
  [WIP-b4] KOLOSSUS _para 12 5,738 10-09-2018, 05:13 AM
Last Post: _para
  [WIP]Distortion Justin 35 36,927 08-19-2018, 06:54 AM
Last Post: Notavi
  [WIP] <Island> _para 8 5,419 07-04-2018, 07:34 PM