Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] How to build data

Hi. I have a question about building this project. It's size is almost 1GB, but when I execute make in main directory of this repository, it builds only one file - csprogs-xonotic-v0.8.2-2823-g3f151f4a5.pk3. It's size less than 1MB, and there is nothing else created. Also, there is no information about build all data files in Makefile, and I was thinking about using CMake to build project. So, how can I build full data files packages to test them in game?

Nobody knows. More or less. When making Xonotic releases we have a script that runs on our server (and depends on a Windows VM among other things). It's 2k lines of bash and nobody wants to touch it. It usually works. When it doesn't we delay a release for a year until somebody fixes it.

Normally you don't need to build data separately (it never even occurred to me to try it), the Makefile only compiles gamelogic - for historical reason all the code is in the data repo too. Have you seen our build instructions? If you wanna change assets, the easiest way is to just use git, compile xon using the "all" script and just change the assets in the data repo manually.

If you want to override the assets in your normal client, you can create pk3 files (they're just renamed zip) with them and put them in your data directory. The directory structure in the pk3 has to mirror the directory structure where the file you want to override is located. Here's an example pk3 that changes sounds: https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=7833
[Image: 30381.jpg]

<packer> when i see martin-t's name my blood pressure increases

<[BOT]Hоtdоg> anyone here lives near martin?
<[BOT]Hоtdоg> will pay monies for shooting him

Thank you. I've read this instructions in previous, but I was thinking that data files build separately (for example - in arch pacman has xonotic game and xonotic data files packages).

We actually don't know who packages Xonotic for most distros and other package managers. They usually take the zip and just package that because nobody has figured out how to build xon properly. The "all" script takes care of everything as long as you don't intent to publish xon. The real release script packages and compresses textures, probably some other stuff.
[Image: 30381.jpg]

<packer> when i see martin-t's name my blood pressure increases

<[BOT]Hоtdоg> anyone here lives near martin?
<[BOT]Hоtdоg> will pay monies for shooting him

Thank you for your answers. Solved Smile

Arch just copies the pk3 files from the zip package: https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/commu...notic-data
The AUR package xonotic-git pretty much follows the compile guide: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/t...onotic-git

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WebAssembly Build Addison 1 2,333 04-07-2019, 03:02 PM
Last Post: martin-t
Brick Separate meshes and animation data MirceaKitsune 11 13,380 11-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Last Post: HellYeah
  Mounting packed Xonotic data with fuse Nodenum 8 9,902 02-07-2012, 02:47 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Automated build system update Nitroxis 1 4,200 06-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Cortez666
  Automated Xonotic Git build system Mr. Bougo 72 87,209 01-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Samual
  "Official" Dev Build? VNilla 9 12,614 07-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Xonotic build suggestions? hellmind 10 13,352 06-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Beefeater
  Hello and OSX build issues... lectroidmarc 6 8,347 04-12-2010, 09:35 AM