Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] reload map changes in game

I'm making maps in Netradiant and whenever I compile the map I start xonotic and do "chmap mapname" which works fine but then if I make changes to a map in Netradiant and compile it again and then do "chmap mapname" the changes are not in the map and I have to restart xonotic to see the changes. can I somehow reread the user data directory to get those changes while in game without having to restart?
You're already dead.
This is hell.

That I'd also like to know. But you can just append a number to the compiled map and do "chmap mapname1". So you don't have to restart.

Generally a clean restart is the best way to go about it, but you can also refresh the renderer with
Code:
r_restart

Then you need only restart the match to play the new changes.
[Image: 230.png]

r_restart works even on the loaded map!

I was told to try fs_rescan at first, but it is sort of broken and only loads new assets reliably.
Visit our clan website: http://extreme.voltage.nz/

I'm working around this by first loading another map and then loading my own map again. You can do this very quickly by assigning hotkeys for it. I'm using one hotkey for Xoylent (map xoylent) and a second hotkey for my own map.
This loads much faster than using r_restart, because it doesn't reload all resources, but loads the updated map file.

load a map: map mapname
reload changes: fs_rescan ; r_restart

PD: some map entities and items are not refreshed. Neither do the skybox textures.

-

I have this in my autoexec.cfg configuration file, in case it would help someone:

Code:
// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// MAP DEVELOPMENT:
// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

// Screenshots Format:
"scr_screenshot_jpeg" "0"               // [1] Use JPG instead of TGA
"scr_screenshot_jpeg_quality" "0.98"    // [0.9] Compression level
"scr_screenshot_png" "1"                // [0] Use PNG instead of TGA

// Clean HUD for screenshots (F12):
alias nohud_1 "viewsize 120; r_drawviewmodel 0; crosshair 0; cl_hidewaypoints 1; shownetgraph 0; showfps 1; showtime 0; showdate 1"
alias nohud_0 "viewsize 100; r_drawviewmodel 1; crosshair 16; cl_hidewaypoints 0; shownetgraph 1; showfps 1; showtime 1; showdate 1"
alias nohud "nohud_${r_drawviewmodel}"
bind z "nohud"

// Spectator's cam speed (mousewheel resets to default 1.5):
bind x "toggle sv_spectator_speed_multiplier 0.50 0.25; impulse 11"

// Draw everything | lightmaps only | lightmaps + normalmaps shading:
bind c "toggle gl_lightmaps 0 1 2"

// Show statistics & tris:
"r_speeds_graph" "0"                    // [0] Do not show it by default
"r_speeds_graph_x" "8"
"r_speeds_graph_y" "8"

bind v "toggle r_speeds_graph 0 1; toggle r_showtris 0 1"

That is:

set PNG format for screenshots.

z key: enable/disable some hud elements prior to taking map screenshots.

x key: slow spectator's cam speed. Good to fly around geometry to observe details.

c key: a toggler to show everything, lightmaps only or lightmaps + normalmaps applied.

v key: draw map statistics.

-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Change mapinfo to make a CTF map a CTS map. Bhagwa-Yodhak-69 3 2,306 09-08-2020, 06:03 AM
Last Post: _para
  [NEEDS INFO] cant download map, black map area jaybates86 5 6,883 10-08-2013, 06:09 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  [SOLVED] Strange sensitivity changes Faraday 4 4,330 04-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Last Post: tZork
  [SOLVED] Load map immediately after game starts Maddin 19 13,496 11-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Maddin
  [SOLVED] huge FPS drops - Engine changes? noteven 3 4,325 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Last Post: noteven
  [NEEDS INFO] Xonotic crashes as soon as I click 'Apply changes' in the config/video menu tuxator 5 8,500 07-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SOLVED] Player changes name to mine and starts spamming. What do I do? qubodup 30 25,216 07-14-2012, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo