Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Nexuiz slashdotted again...no GPL code at all

Yip, apparently all they will share is a name....

slashdotted again!

what does this mean for xonotic?

[Image: sig2.png]
Check out my site: www.alisdairrankine.com!

this means competition

Ya know what?

I

DON'T

CARE

Wink
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

TLDR Version: It propably won't have an impact on Xonotic. The rest of the post is just me ranting because I'm terribly bored...

Well i suppose it doesn't mean anythibng for Xonotic, it's purely about thegamethatshallnotbenamed and doesn't impact the Xonotic development in any way I can imagine.

However just a personal comment to the quote specifically mentioned in the slashdot article is: What a load of *[censored]*. Let me tear it apart:

Quote:This deal was made with good intentions, funding alienTRAP to allow them to foster open development, funding DarkPlaces development, promoting the GPL versions of Nexuiz, and bringing a new kind of game to an untapped slice of the console gamer market.

While the deal might've been done with good intentions from both side it was handled horribly. It is also debated if this would've promoted the GPL version of Nexuiz, most people I've talked to have agreed that the effect would be quite the opposite. While these things all sound good, sacrificing a community to gain them is not the right way to go. I'ts like trying to solve a food crisis by killing the people who hunger.

Quote:Console games are a very closed market where GPL games can not go, publishers won’t touch them, and this was the only way to bring the Nexuiz experience to consoles.

But obviously as a non-GPL game. As you state yourself: "GPL + Console => No wai!"
Yet this was attempted by selling a GPL game. And see how that turned out for the GPL game...

Quote:alienTRAP and IllFonic continue their best efforts to assist the community.

Considering how awful we've been "taken care of" by both alienTRAP and Illfonic this statement scares me! Are they honestly going to continue treating us badly? If what we've gotten so far is their best efforts then I really don't want to know what their average effort is.

Quote:It is unfortunate that this well-intentioned product license has caused a fork of the GPL game, but new developers always fill the vacuum so I am looking forward to the next version of GPL Nexuiz, the release of Xonotic, and the release of the console Nexuiz.

It's not unfortunate at all! We (the Xonotic Community with emphasis on the Xonotic Dev Team) broke free of the opression of alienTRAP + Illfonic. I highly doubt that new developers will "fill the vacuum" as I'm quite sure that any GLP-developer who's even remotely interested will find out what happened and come HERE instead. There is not going to be a next version of GPL thegamethatshallnotbenamed. Unless they release a <10MB bugfix that'd take one developer to work for 8 hours and call it a "new version"...

Quote:The demoing of console Nexuiz at GDC went very well and I am enjoying the development process and player reactions, this game is turning out great.

My personal guess: This heretic version of thegamethatshallnotbenamed will be rather unsuccessful and end up at the bottom of the shelves in the game-stores. I don't say it will be a bad game, I just doubt it will have a big playerbase.
[Image: 10676.png]

Yea, I totally agree with all of that.

The Ironic thing in killing the community they had was that it will create something better, I dont mean the commercial shizz, i mean Xonotic, it has a chance to lose the legacy of the assets created almost half a decade ago. We all liked as you call it, GPL thegamethatshallnotbenamed, for different reasons but im more than certain that some things annoyed everyone. We have got this great chance to refactor the game in a way that couldnt be done through iterative renewal.

It was cool, but it can only get better. A reboot can give us a modern game, not one that has stagnated.

Best of luck Illfonic, but you have entirely missed the point, not only of the game, but of the essence of the game and the lifeforce of the community.
From a personal view I am excited more about Xonotic than TruNexuiz, because i wasnt there in the beginning, but im here now, and i want to help.

Signature adjusted!
Illfonic wanted it all, but all they got was a misspelling!

@EvilSpaceHamster

Where do I sign? Tongue
[Image: 10676.png]

Quote:The original plan was to contact every developer and relicense the Nexuiz 2.5.2 GPL gamecode sources for this title, to ensure authentic gameplay and return some important features to the community for the benefit of everyone.

I really wonder about this statement. The plan was to contact every developer when exactly? When IllFonic pissed all the original contributors off and there was no chance left to get an OK on relicencing? Now it boils down to "contributors HAVE to agree or we HAVE to redo everything". Also i wonder if this is only aimed at the code or data too. I know (because he told me) that Strahlemann was not asked about relicencing map Strength for example.

Aehm.. just to make clear, there is no violation till they really distribute their game.. changing GPL'd stuff and keeping it secret is fine as long as you do not give it to anyone! But they WILL distribute it at some point and then people will take a really really close look i'd bet Smile
Real signature is still in production!

Quote:I know (because he told me) that Strahlemann was not asked about relicencing map Strength for example.

Smells like, at least, GPL violation to me. Under which license was "Strength" released?
Üdvözlettel / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards:
Norbert

[Image: 34581.png]
[Image: 14909.jpg]

(03-24-2010, 07:38 AM)esteel Wrote:
Quote:The original plan was to contact every developer and relicense the Nexuiz 2.5.2 GPL gamecode sources for this title, to ensure authentic gameplay and return some important features to the community for the benefit of everyone.

I really wonder about this statement. The plan was to contact every developer when exactly? When IllFonic pissed all the original contributors off and there was no chance left to get an OK on relicencing? Now it boils down to "contributors HAVE to agree or we HAVE to redo everything". Also i wonder if this is only aimed at the code or data too. I know (because he told me) that Strahlemann was not asked about relicencing map Strength for example.

Oh shit! This is getting really hairy really fast.

It looks a little hairy, lol, but at least Xonotic is on the right side of the fence here.

Xonotic is completely legal, that's not the issue. What matters is if they can rip off strength like that. It won't stop there, you know. Soylent. Dance. Final rage. Stormkeep. You get the picture.

(03-24-2010, 05:51 PM)Roanoke Wrote: Xonotic is completely legal, that's not the issue. What matters is if they can rip off strength like that. It won't stop there, you know. Soylent. Dance. Final rage. Stormkeep. You get the picture.

Guys... please.. can you do a little background reading?
Maps that they are using have been licensed from the mappers.
The only thing that they were reputed to have stolen was engine code, now they are going to recode all of this from scratch.
They bought the name and the web address....
All this information is easy to find.
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

(03-24-2010, 06:04 PM)Rad Ished Wrote:
(03-24-2010, 05:51 PM)Roanoke Wrote: Xonotic is completely legal, that's not the issue. What matters is if they can rip off strength like that. It won't stop there, you know. Soylent. Dance. Final rage. Stormkeep. You get the picture.

Guys... please.. can you do a little background reading?
Maps that they are using have been licensed from the mappers.
The only thing that they were reputed to have stolen was engine code, now they are going to recode all of this from scratch.
They bought the name and the web address....
All this information is easy to find.

Strength was NOT relicensed

Not yet.. LordHavoc/IllFonic is in the process of requesting that. But please keep in mind that this is NO PROBLEM until they release the game. Only THEN they need to have this relicencing done. GPL is binding on distribution! If you do stuff "for yourself" and only show pics and vids you can basicly do what ever you want.
However as i have said, it feels very unprofessional to "do stuff first" and "ask for permission" later.. because as we have seen it pisses people off. Which could/should have been avoided.
Real signature is still in production!

(03-25-2010, 02:18 AM)esteel Wrote: Not yet.. LordHavoc/IllFonic is in the process of requesting that. But please keep in mind that this is NO PROBLEM until they release the game. Only THEN they need to have this relicencing done. GPL is binding on distribution! If you do stuff "for yourself" and only show pics and vids you can basicly do what ever you want.
However as i have said, it feels very unprofessional to "do stuff first" and "ask for permission" later.. because as we have seen it pisses people off. Which could/should have been avoided.

True. Unless the game is released with improperly licensed GPL code or assets then there isn't a problem. They stated that they will redo a ton of the game due to license problems and replace the stuff they couldn't get relicensed.

I know that it it's not true, because there will be relicensed Nexuiz content in the console version, but I do find EvilSoul's sig very amusing :-)

I think we should just quit the second guessing about what IllFonic's product will be. There are still people involved with that project that I have always rated highly, and still do. So let's just give them the benefit of the doubt for now, and focus on Xonotic right here.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

HERE HERE!!!
+1 to the FleshTonedAutomaton
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

Ahhah...the key here is to hold the license to some important portion of the game that the community still has, until illfonic decides to pay or dump it. Payment money could help build/run a stats server, official server, tshirts, etc. Big Grin

i have already signature there

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nexuiz server in xonotic browser Cooper Hawks 19 16,339 01-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [Nexuiz Frag Movie] Farewell PCLizard 33 37,338 05-24-2016, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  So I gotten back to playing Xonotic again... where's the Vanilla servers? Matoro 8 10,408 12-18-2014, 05:29 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  elo again frostwyrm333 5 3,999 01-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Last Post: frostwyrm333
  Wish to replace the xonotic music with the music from nexuiz Chromatose 19 19,675 07-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Last Post: rafallus
  Xonotic vs Nexuiz 2.5.2 - Core differences rafallus 13 24,501 02-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Last Post: hutty
  Attention all server owners and web designers!!! Samual 39 37,339 12-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Last Post: mand1nga
  The best nexuiz videos MDWGUNS 144 138,371 11-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Last Post: PCLizard
  [Nexuiz Frag Movie] A unique frag B3RZERK 6 7,402 09-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Comparison between Xonotic and Nexuiz Exitium 34 38,532 05-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Cortez666