Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Ask your questions about Xonotic here

Aww , Well thanks Smile for the replay

I looked around for this issue in the forums, I'm certain it's addressed somewhere but had trouble finding it. I'm running the autobuild, and certain maps (strength is the only one I remember off the top of my head) that appear just black. I can only see players. I was playing on [Latest] MinstaGib+Hook TDM - New Jersey, US when it happened today. Is there a workaround for this? Would adding the map to my own data folder instead of letting the server send it to me help this issue? I apologize for repeating a question, perhaps I'm not using the search function correctly. Results include entire threads that contain any of the search terms, which hardly ever leads me to what I'm looking for. It's definitely a drag when a good streak of games is going, have to sit out he match until another map is chosen. One thing I can say is that I do get the 'client and server versions are compatible' message before joining the game. I'm sure there's a simple explanation for this, only one or two other players were having the same problem with the maps I couldn't see. Thanks!!!

EDIT: More details: The only other things that are visible are sparsely distributed small pyramids that fade in color from top to bottom. If it will help, I'll make notes of other maps/servers this happens with. I always run the auto update script just before firing up the game to make sure I have the latest autobuild. Thanks in advance.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
Announcer mic check and forum thread.
http://soundcloud.com/voodoo-electron

Sounds like a server issue (probably related to Dropbox changing their public download URL).
You can try some things locally to make sure:

Delete the map's .pk3 file from your dlcache folder (to find this folder, launch the game & type this in the console (SHIFT+ESC or ~): which config.cfg) then try downloading it from the server again.

Locate the map on another server or file host (some Xonotic maps can be found at http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp).
[Image: 230.png]

And if you find that the server's download url is wrong, seek the admin.

But yes, have a look at the game log (in the console) for any 404's on map downloads and such. That's typically what happens.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I deleted the .pk3 in dllcache, didn't get a chance to try it again but will update this post when I do. Thanks guys.

If you don't find out the cause but have a demo of the map failing, you can always send that. The URL is stored inside the demo, so it could help troubleshooting.

Interesting. So removing the config file didn't help, not sure what's going on. Here's a demo of the failure, I appreciate the help. Been messing with this all day, even deleted the entire game dir and built from the git (which I've meant to do anyway). Cloning and building went fine, but having the same problem with downloading files, they're all length 0. Proper names though. Here's the demo:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4067...ta_v1r2.7z

EDIT: SOLVED. Someone added dropboxusercontent.com to a blacklist. I walked a mile to move an inch. Many thanks guys.

What blacklist? Something on your side?

Yeah, firewall subscribes to site blacklists.

Sorry for the double post. So the plot thickens: It's not a matter of domains being blacklisted on the firewall. Any site Xonotic tries to download from that I haven't explicitly whitelisted on the firewall fails. Once I add them to the exceptions list, no problem. But different gameservers download from different places, seems like I'd be able to set a single rule to let Xonotic do its thing. Does this make any sense? Are Xonotic game data downloads anything other than standard HTTP/FTP downloads?

Also if someone able to remove my above post gets a chance, can it be removed?

Why do you want your post above removed? I could merge the posts but it doesn't really matter, such double posts are totally OK. The stigma against doubleposting is wrong, it's only bad if you do it in an hour or so.

Anyway, maybe your firewall needs to be further configured to allow Xonotic to fetch any url? I don't know about that, check the firewall's support.

1.How many players are still playing?
2.Other gamemodes?
3.Does it require high computer spec?
4.Can you customize your character? For example like changing color or something..
5.If this game require skills, are there any guides? (I'm new here so please don't burn my soul)

Btw I play tribes & tf2 Big Grin

Hi and welcome to the forums! As for your questions:

1.) Well, if you pick up this game, it will be the two of us already Big Grin

nah, just kidding. There are quite some players, though the player base is reasonably small and public servers often are quite deserted - apart from the very popular game modes minsta and overkill. But pickup matches are being organized on a regular basis at europe evening times (dunno about other regions, maybe they are active too) via IRC on #xonotic.pickup at quakenet. Also with the 0.7 release around the corner we expect the player base to get a boost soon.

2.) Apart from the standard game modes DM, CTF (with or without vehicles), TDM, Duel and Clan Arena there is also Assault, Freezetag and Nexball. Then we have mutators like the very popular minstagib and the equally popular overkill, which provides a gameplay experience somewhere between minstagib and standard weapons.

3.) You'll probably need a dedicated GPU for achieving enjoyable FPS. I'm running it on a GTX 560, which is a bit overdimensioned for the game already - starts to choke only if I enable all effects (and if the map is designed badly). You can see the table here for reference: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...quirements

3.) You can select between different character models and can choose two colors from a palette for shirts and/or pants (which effectively is not distributed to shirts and pants but following the texturing design of the model). However, other players may choose on their clients to display every player as the same character model as their own one, and also assign their own colors to every other player they see. This is done by quite a lot of players, as there is only one character that always has fullbright colors (the "mega erebus") and the other ones can be hard to see. So if you see someone using the "mega erebus" character model, it is very likely that player will see you as "mega erebus" too.

5.) This game requires skills of course, but fortunately there are many people that will show you the ropes if you're new and ask. For starters, you can check out the "Newbie Corner" (Link in my signature - don't bother with the poor looks of the first one, they get better with part 2), it will show you the essential skills to master when playing standard game modes. I haven't made any tutorials yet for minsta/hook/overkill, as I don't really play those much I'm afraid. If you find me on IRC, you can always ask me to give you a private tutorial on a non-public server, I do that quite regularly to new players.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

As for gamemods, we have got Onslaught, which is a little bit like Domination, which we have as well, and CTS.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Oh, yes, thank you. I knew I forgot some of them. :o)
My Xonstats Profile

Hi all,

I have a very simple question :

When you are spectacting a player, you can see which keys are used. A lots o f player use not only arrows (left, right, up, down) but also two others keys (pageup, pagedown).

What these keys are for ? (they seems not working for me)

I think that's jump and crouch.

ok thanks.

You just see when the players press the "functions" so to say. A lot of players use WASD for moving for example.
But yes, the other to keys are jumping and crouching.

Rainbow 
Sup guys,

first of all - I am new to this. Hello world!

I downloaded Nexuiz about two days ago and I've been having a blast. It reminds me of the old Quake 3 days. While playing online, another gamer informed about Xonotic, the spiritual successor to Nexuiz. So I went online and checked Wikipedia for some information. I then found some information about how Xonotic was born and the issues related to the Nexuiz project, but the one that caught my eye was this one:

Quote:In March 2010 a controversy arose over the original Nexuiz being licensed to Illfonic game studios in order to create a commercial version. The original creator, Lee Vermeulen, secretly made a deal with a company known as Illfonic according to which the latter got the hold over the Nexuiz trademark. Since this turn of events was unexpected by the community and most Nexuiz developers, they promised to create a fork controlled by a community in an open manner.

Is this true? Are the original Nexuiz devs and community members part of Xonotic now?

Some other/general questions:

- Is Xonotic made from scratch or was Nexuiz used as a base for this game?
- If Nexuiz was used as a base for this game; which version of Nexuiz is this game based on?
- How has development been going?
- Is this game still in beta?
- Is Xonotic more advanced than Nexuiz atm? What are the main differences between the two?

Some Ubuntu specific questions:

- How do I install Xonotic on Ubuntu 12.04.3 64-bit LTS?
- Will there be a version of Xonotic available via the Ubuntu Software Center one day? That's how I found Nexuiz btw.
- Are there any Ubuntu specific issues I should be aware of before installing Xonotic?
- Is there a ppa of Xonotic available for Ubuntu?

Thanks,
Soniee

--
Mod edit: Fixed typo (Xonotoc)

Uh, lots of questions... just try it. Download the 0.7 release and unpack it somewhere and just start it. Alternatively you can try the autobuilds: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1863 for the most up to date development version.
Runs perfectly fine on Ubuntu btw.

Yes Xonotic is still in beta, but it is already a complete game and quite a bit better (in my opinion) than Nexuiz (on which it is based, same engine and also some models/maps left).

A ppa and repository release will come with version 1.0 I guess.

(01-27-2014, 03:21 PM)Soniee Wrote: Sup guys,

Yo!

Quote:In March 2010 ...
(01-27-2014, 03:21 PM)Soniee Wrote: Is this true? Are the original Nexuiz devs and community members part of Xonotic now?

Yes it is. But we're all over the drama now.
On the other hand, most original Nexuiz devs migrated to Xonotic at once. However, part of the die-hard Nexuiz community remained with the game, as we decided to change a few things here and there in Xonotic, and they felt by doing that we betrayed the project (just wtf on my side, but everybody has the right to have an opinion, even if it's totally twisted).

(01-27-2014, 03:21 PM)Soniee Wrote: - Is Xonotic made from scratch or was Nexuiz used as a base for this game?
- If Nexuiz was used as a base for this game; which version of Nexuiz is this game based on?

Xonotic is based on an officially unreleased version of Nexuiz. Back in the Nexuiz times, we used SVN as version tracking, now we use git. In the logs, you can find the initial commit:

Code:
initial checkin from nexuiz svn r8756

This is the SVN commit from Xonotic forked.

(01-27-2014, 03:21 PM)Soniee Wrote: - How has development been going?
Slowly, but steadily, with the some fluctuation in developer crew. People come and go, but that's normal for a project like this. We mostly have a new beta release almost every half year. We're currently at 0.7, and 0.8 is on it's way. Slowly, but steadily Wink

(01-27-2014, 03:21 PM)Soniee Wrote: - Is this game still in beta?

Yep.

(01-27-2014, 03:21 PM)Soniee Wrote: - Is Xonotic more advanced than Nexuiz atm? What are the main differences between the two?

Indeed it is. There are tons of updates on the engine, gameplay, gamemodes, we have new maps, higher quality media (textures, playermodels, sound effects, music menu etc.) Xonotic is so much different from Nexuiz now I cannot even pick the main differences. Almost 4 years of development.

(01-27-2014, 03:21 PM)Soniee Wrote: Some Ubuntu specific questions:

- How do I install Xonotic on Ubuntu 12.04.3 64-bit LTS?
Just download the zip file from our main site, extract it to somewhere in your home, and you're ready to go!

(01-27-2014, 03:21 PM)Soniee Wrote: - Will there be a version of Xonotic available via the Ubuntu Software Center one day? That's how I found Nexuiz btw.

Might happen in the future, but afaik it's not on the to-do list for now.

(01-27-2014, 03:21 PM)Soniee Wrote: - Are there any Ubuntu specific issues I should be aware of before installing Xonotic?
- Is there a ppa of Xonotic available for Ubuntu?

Not that I know of.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Remember to install libcurl on ubuntu, so you can download non-official maps offered by the server! Welcome to Xonotic!
My Xonstats Profile

Hello again,

thanks a bunch for the nice welcome and for answering all of my questions.

I'm downloading the game right now. I still have a question though: I just searched the Ubuntu Software Center for libcurl and I found a bunch of libcurl related things in there. Which file do I need exactly? Btw, it's nice that you guys made it so easy to download and run the game on Linux. I tend to stick to the USC for usability reasons.. it's much easier. Usually a lot of projects offer a .tar and then you have to get your hands dirty. I really like the ease of use approach you guys are offering.

Soniee

Here is a FAQ: http://www.xonotic.org/the-game/faq/

Also Halogenes "Newbie Corner": http://www.xonotic.org/tag/newbie/

and if you want just join us in IRC (QuakeNet): #xonotic / #xonotic.pickup

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Your Favorite Maps cushinga 6 1,732 03-14-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
Rainbow What's your favorite color? Or which color you use in game? Kotangens 1 1,242 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,463 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 8,128 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: end user
Information We want your help Samual 35 35,224 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy
  Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? unfa 147 154,148 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Wii-Wii
  WoX-BloX needs your help! CuBe0wL 14 11,603 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Here's my fair share Scorpion 8 8,229 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  Pythonistas, please raise your hand Dokujisan 13 10,790 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Spyroviper
  ITT: post your WASD teams 9 10,751 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin