Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Weapon Model: Xon Rifle

(06-14-2010, 08:07 AM)tankmiche Wrote: Of course, a name like that would be discriminatory against female players. That's why I propose C.R.O.T.C.H. as a better name. And yes, it is/was a joke.

Back on topic.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I'd like Oblivion and the other contributors to focus on remaking other models right now (if possible), than to make a perfect one (animation included) now. And still I feel this one is just right as it is.

Not to mention I too would prefer some animations on gun models, but they do make much more sense on other weaponry.

True that.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Yeah, I guess working and good models should come first, then details such as animation.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

looks very good o.o
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

OMG that looks AWESOME

It looks GREAT.... However, may I suggest adding a bit more gloss to it? I like the way the older weapons shine, although it may not be so realistic Tongue
Mapper.

(07-14-2010, 09:34 PM)Moo Wrote: It looks GREAT.... However, may I suggest adding a bit more gloss to it? I like the way the older weapons shine, although it may not be so realistic Tongue

Totally agree.

And glossy is realistic, if you are representing exposed metal surfaces. Or even glossy paint. So just don't coat the entire surface of the gun in modern military matte paints and things will look awesome.
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

Some gloss coinciding with stripes on the texture would indeed be great.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

It looks great, but I would make the barrel/jaws a fair bit shorter, it's ridiculously long for a gun that's supposed to be handheld, not for stationary use. That jaw barrel wouldn't add to accuracy anyway, and would more likely get in the way for the rail, resulting in a broken gun tip. Moreover, I simply don't find it aesthetically pleasing for a gun. I suggest a more compact look, by retracting the tip of the gun to just in front of the blue needle/electrode/whatever. Something like this (quick gimp edit):
[Image: 1fy964adh2m95s6ab76a_thumb.png]

Oh, and I wouldn't suggest putting the game's logo on much, if any, of the game's weapons/objects/maps. I simply think it feels like out-of-place in-game advertising. At most you could place it as an occasional floor/wall/ceiling decoration, like Quake 3 did it. But please, not on any of the weapons.

Also, I LOVE <333 revolving barrels, and I think it would look great for this gun, with the revolving jaws and all that. However, I would like a revolving barrel more on a new rocket launcher model, which would look a bit like a mix between the Quake 3 rocket launcher, and this one from the original Cube: [Image: screenshot_725154.jpg]

When I saw that rocket launcher in motion (the grey part rotates between shots), I knew Xonotic had to have a similiar one Tongue So anyway, what I'm trying to say is, we must choose carefully which gun can have an awesome revolving barrel, because if several guns have it it will look silly Smile

(07-16-2010, 05:31 PM)Beefeater Wrote: Oh, and I wouldn't suggest putting the game's logo on much, if any, of the game's weapons/objects/maps. I simply think it feels like out-of-place in-game advertising. At most you could place it as an occasional floor/wall/ceiling decoration, like Quake 3 did it. But please, not on any of the weapons.

Likely not the xonotic logo, but some backstories would require adding a logo (of a corporation) to weapons and vehicles.

Maybe... I still don't think any logos are a good idea though, sounds like unnecessary texture creep to me. It's not like logos make most guns look better, and this is a game after all. If anything, logos on the weapons should give some visual sign as to what the gun is used for, or otherwise help give weapons distinguished looks. Definitely not a good idea for every weapon, though.

Logos will not help weapon functions be made clearer, for many reasons (not much weapon shown in first person, logos will have to be more complex, etc.). As I said, logos will be on every weapon if the tech conglomerate storyline comes to fruition (though it is likely more of a question of when the guns will be remodeled).

(07-17-2010, 11:42 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Logos will not help weapon functions be made clearer, for many reasons (not much weapon shown in first person, logos will have to be more complex, etc.). As I said, logos will be on every weapon if the tech conglomerate storyline comes to fruition (though it is likely more of a question of when the guns will be remodeled).

Well, of course if icons were to be used as identification they would have to appear where they can be seen in first person. And I don't see why the logos will have to be complex, something out of Quake 3 would be fine by me. Notice that I'm not for the idea of manufacturer logos, so that's not the kind of logo I'm talking about. Tbh, I think the whole story aspect of the game is overplayed, especially without a campaign that it's built around. We don't need more story involvement than any other game of the same kind: Unreal (Tournament), Quake, etc. I digress.

(07-17-2010, 04:55 PM)Beefeater Wrote: Well, of course if icons were to be used as identification they would have to appear where they can be seen in first person.
Which is a small area, considering it has to be seen from 90 fov.
EDIT: Wait, identification? Is telling one weapon from the other such an issue?

(07-17-2010, 04:55 PM)Beefeater Wrote: And I don't see why the logos will have to be complex, something out of Quake 3 would be fine by me.
Because our weapons are not quake 3 weapons? And also, which q3 guns have logos?

(07-17-2010, 04:55 PM)Beefeater Wrote: Notice that I'm not for the idea of manufacturer logos, so that's not the kind of logo I'm talking about.
I know, but if the TC story gets in, corporate logos will also likely get in.

Visible manufacturer logos would just be and look stupid. Whoever is using a weapon will put their own logo on it, if anything.
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

(07-17-2010, 04:59 PM)Roanoke Wrote:
(07-17-2010, 04:55 PM)Beefeater Wrote: Well, of course if icons were to be used as identification they would have to appear where they can be seen in first person.
Which is a small area, considering it has to be seen from 90 fov.
EDIT: Wait, identification? Is telling one weapon from the other such an issue?
Did I say that? I said that, if we're going to use logos for anything, it aught to be for identification, not some lame story arc integration.
(07-17-2010, 04:59 PM)Roanoke Wrote:
(07-17-2010, 04:55 PM)Beefeater Wrote: And I don't see why the logos will have to be complex, something out of Quake 3 would be fine by me.
Because our weapons are not quake 3 weapons? And also, which q3 guns have logos?
Quake 3 weapon icons are a good example of simple, easily recognizable icons. They're not on the guns themselves, but they show up in the HUD and as model replacements (simple items). I'd rather see such logos on weapons than some fictional manufacturer logo.

Anyway, it's overplayed. Let's get back on topic? My suggested changes to this Xon model:

[Image: 1fy964adh2m95s6ab76a_thumb.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Model Switching? moemoemoemoemoe 0 1,558 12-04-2022, 12:26 AM
Last Post: moemoemoemoemoe
Photo Morphed's used brushes for weapon and item model texturing LegendGuard 0 1,709 11-30-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [NEED HELP] Weapon shader isn't doing as I'm intending to do LegendGuard 0 1,047 04-04-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  Fox player model MirceaKitsune 12 17,477 07-12-2021, 01:33 AM
Last Post: Mario
  [NEED HELP] Shotgun model from nexuiz v1.1 Kotangens 1 2,408 03-06-2021, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
  How to import Weapon Models? NoClue 6 3,416 12-23-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Julius
  [NEED HELP] NetRadiant Weapon Respawn 3agle427 2 2,550 01-05-2019, 06:22 PM
Last Post: 3agle427
  Texture and Player Model Creation Help Molnija 5 4,974 09-30-2018, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Molnija
  Per Weapon Effect Brushes? Antares* 2 2,799 10-15-2017, 07:22 AM
  Player model links end user 1 3,406 09-13-2017, 07:35 AM