Create an account

Poll: Which map should C.Brutail start working on?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
#1 Fanatic
67.65%
23 67.65%
#2 Leave'em Behind
0%
0 0%
#3 Lightspeed
20.59%
7 20.59%
#4 Deathball
8.82%
3 8.82%
#5 Further in the past
2.94%
1 2.94%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mapping ideas - pick one!

Hi all!

During making Newtonian Nightmare, I've also started different side projects, depending on my mood and creativity. Those who lurk around on the #xonotic.editing channel, or the "Screenshots of what you're doing" thread might have already seen some pictures. Now, that NN is in master, and it doesn't really need crucial work on it, I'll move on one of those projects, and make that my main one.
However, I'd like to ask all of you about what I should start mapping, because currently this is what Xonotic really needs: new maps, that players enjoys playing on. Here I ask you please to vote on the map, you'd like to see in Xonotic the most.
Names of the maps might still change ofc.

#1 Fanatic

To be honest, this is the map I'd like to most working on for the next. It's a large DM/TDM map, in a futuristic style of a battledroid factory/testing laboratory.

[Image: 97qgoeugtiu9cvnneop0_thumb.jpg] [Image: h39bz88g77q3vebk3e_thumb.jpg]
[Image: cdj0fquuv3s1gkb9oo3_thumb.jpg] [Image: xfs3yciqt78l99kmoyf_thumb.jpg] [Image: bgc2o0msxohb31xp8rif_thumb.jpg]
[Image: x31ox71361xkos37zv8z_thumb.jpg] [Image: 60bt3yiej7z9us9npn0m_thumb.jpg] [Image: 57izertyn6hz15hycc_thumb.jpg]

#2 Leave'em behind:

This is a classic, and fast race map. It is finished, but visually not so appealing. Only job to do is some detailing, but tbh, I suck at that. Sad

[Image: sjm5bnyy6txa40q4eq2w_thumb.jpg] [Image: miwbsdv3ivn1i37wxes_thumb.jpg] [Image: helpafea3lbtqqxr07b_thumb.jpg]
[Image: orl54ysfigrz1ppbj66l_thumb.jpg]

#3 Lightspeed
A variation of the above, just in CTF. It'll feature a light, futuristic style of an abandoned laboratory on some distant planet:

[Image: ithq6u2okq30sbgqx2a5_thumb.jpg] [Image: 897mtte4ukhqgcbbikv6_thumb.jpg] [Image: sox768bs9e4lh6k2c8f_thumb.jpg]

#4 Deathball:
This is a Xonball map, played with weapons (ala UT bombing run). Currently, I've only started the main layout and one of the goal rooms:

[Image: jyfkxrj15wcfgrjpkuas_thumb.jpg] [Image: g7i9270gbtkavq4o91l_thumb.jpg]

#5 Further in the past
One of my oldest map ideas. This will be a high quality remake of DM Tower. The theme of the map is an excavation site of an ancient temple in a lush jungle.

[Image: ptg8ozw57671b5nwhkx3_thumb.jpg] [Image: 9a5vh6z6j1jqezw9u2yx_thumb.jpg] [Image: bwv2eyz6ybhjbxsjzm2v_thumb.jpg]
[Image: myrg8uiwl123d0fac275_thumb.jpg] [Image: inz15r2tngxsruktv4vz_thumb.jpg] [Image: dxuslwkpdynlnsd8fcz3_thumb.jpg]
[Image: gzmk2xii1ikrce07hray_thumb.jpg] [Image: ql9lf2rk8x34737ongi_thumb.jpg] [Image: 4h0x1ujo701nglxzy19x_thumb.jpg]

I'd like to sooner or later map all of theese btw. Please vote!
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Fanatic as it seems to have the best layout (in my opinion) -- But make sure it isn't too bright Tongue From most of those screenshots it looks like it's almost fullbright in some areas Tongue (but this is probably because it's early, so if this is the case simply disregard this message)

I voted for fanatic, because it is visually different than our other maps. (we need more diversity imo)
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I also voted for fanatic, but I think that this name doesn't fit for a futuristic, ultra clean laboratory.

fanatic

i would vote for #6 Fortress Resurrection.

but sadly it isnt an option so i say #4
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(01-19-2011, 12:27 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: i would vote for #6 Fortress Resurrection.

but sadly it isnt an option so i say #4

Nice suggestion, I knew I left something out Smile

I think Lightspeed looks the best so far.

Hm.. atm im bent towards #1, but ill think abt it some =)

Something's appealing to me in the lightspeed screenshots. Maybe it's that flat, yet eye-catching multicolored design. Just consider using curved patch tubes instead of brushes in the dome.
And ofc I support #1, if you keep that style and layout. Multileveled maps are always fun to play on.

Fantastic looks nice, however I think Xonotic should come with more indoor closed CTF maps like runningman.

I voted for #3, it looks cool...

(01-19-2011, 03:22 PM)FraNcoTirAdoR Wrote: Fantastic looks nice, however I think Xonotic should come with more indoor closed CTF maps like runningman.

yeah, space theme doesnt mean everything has to be in space.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Hi everybody!

I think all of it are nice, but we need more gamemode specific map...
so this time I'm voting for deathball. Big Grin

All of them look great, but Fanatic gets my vote.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Fantatic and lightspeed mate Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Umm... just to clarify some thigs: Lightspeed is the variation on Leave'em behind, not Fanatic!

I'd say Fanatic, too - I like that theme. Of course I would love to have some area in it where you can actually push people off the map, though. Like G-23 has indoor areas and a small area for push-o-maniacs (which could be bigger but I am happy with what little I get).

Thumbs up for you working on maps in the first place!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Thumbs Up 
Fanatic or Lightspeed
somewhere

It seems Fanatic has won. Smile

Progress:

[Image: 5x9bazlbmc41e4ho3yr3_thumb.jpg]

As I expected.
Will you consider returning to Lightspeed sometime in the future?

Sure! The map in layout is ready, I only need to think over the placement of spawnpoints, and create some eye candy stuff. The fact, that I've chosen Fanatic as my main project doesn't mean I won't tinker with the others now and then (eg. when I got fed up with it and I need a bit relax), but my main priority is on that map.

(01-21-2011, 08:14 PM)C.Brutail Wrote: It seems Fanatic has won. Smile

the voting must be manipulated, otherwise #6 Fortress Resurrection would have won !

* Cortez666 is disappointed

Yay, Fanatic!
But to be honest i'm not really convinced by the layout so far. Too many long corridors and not enough rooms with interesting structures to fight around... but maybe this is only my impression due to the top-down view, and it's still in alpha stage Smile

only one? all ideas are great!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Relief Mapping - Performance Improvement - Beta v2 master[mind] 39 45,661 11-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  Xonotic Game Engine, Mapping, Development - General Developer Questions p14r 6 10,218 08-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Last Post: p14r
  [SOLVED] misc_model : Support for specular and relief mapping? Maddin 5 6,572 11-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Last Post: Maddin
Exclamation Join the Xonotic mapping team Mirio 2 11,812 06-14-2013, 04:31 AM
Last Post: Maddin
  Mapping Tutorials hutty 57 44,384 08-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Last Post: aa
Brick Proposal to change the mapping procedure for official Xonotic maps CuBe0wL 21 33,036 04-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Samual
  Map ideas - ancient tombs, buildings and battle settings Hypnotix-2000 2 3,952 04-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: Hypnotix-2000
Question Mapping with Blender? unfa 8 8,598 03-31-2011, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Sepelio
Information [MUST SEE!] Using Pirate Pad to democratically decide on ideas Samual 4 9,293 11-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Rage_ATWM