Create an account

Poll: International section for forums?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
50.00%
9 50.00%
No
44.44%
8 44.44%
No opinion / I don't care
5.56%
1 5.56%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Forum section: International

Xonotic is multilingual game, so I was just thinking that shouldn't there be a "International" section on Xonotic forums which consists spesific threads for one language? For example, International section contains thread called "Finnish - Suomi" and people could discuss there in Finnish. Of course main planning etc. would be covered in original English sections, but these now threads would be for those who cannot speak English propertly.

My idea would be same as shown here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewforum.php?id=30

Whaddaya think?

I am not sure, as I sort of like the integrative force the common language on this forum has. But then again I can express myself in English, so my point may be an ignorant one towards people that don't understand or write English well. If, at all, I'd rather have one "other language" main category with subcategories for the relevant languages, rather than an unsorted mix of languages in an "international" category.

In any case the "Music" category will have to be created first! Tongue
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Don't take me wrong, but that forum section you pointed at looks like a pitiful dump for all poor hobos who don't know english at all. If we do anything like that, it should be more organized, with every language's subforum sections replicating the main forum.

Quote:But then again I can express myself in English, so my point may be an ignorant one towards people that don't understand or write English well.
And this applies to me as well.

Don't get me wrong: This section would be suitable after Xonotic have got more attention and larger player base - including those who cannot speak English propertly. And these forums would be for questions like "How to do this and that", "My Xonotic does not start" and other basic questions. For advanced planning and actual community is still working under original English sections. These threads would be suitable just for basic questions etc - they do NOT cover the whole forum.

See that Arch Linux forums link. It is a working example.

(09-28-2011, 07:03 AM)Halogene Wrote: If, at all, I'd rather have one "other language" main category with subcategories for the relevant languages, rather than an unsorted mix of languages in an "international" category.
Well, this was my intention. Besides your "Other languages" would be named as "International" in my suggestion. The name, however, is irrelevant point of this suggestion.

I voted "Yes"
But after reading the replies here I'm not sure anymore.
the downside if more subsection are exists is that advanced regulary members are urged read a bunch more of threads.
So count my Yes as don't care :-)
Always keep the fun in your life.
Zockertown.de

Oh yes, check this out. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.ph...e9e2b45f80

Another thing would be that we'd have to adapt the RSS feeds then, because I for one wouldn't want to see all the Xonotic talk of our huge japanese player base in my RSS feed :o)
My Xonstats Profile

With the small size of our community, I'd say segregation is the wrong way to go. We have to get the intl discussion to reach the whole community somehow, and not encourage separation on a language basis. We have to keep it all in english for now, and allow other languages in the main categories as last resort, and let the community figure things out.

(09-28-2011, 10:06 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: With the small size of our community, I'd say segregation is the wrong way to go.

Word! btw we had this discussion already.

why dont you just make separate irc channels (its much easier).

there is xonotic.de and xonotic.se for example.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(09-28-2011, 10:17 AM)Cortez666 Wrote: why dont you just make separate irc channels (its much easier).

And also #xonotic.au, #xonotic.it, #xonotic.ro . Smile

Cortez:
> I agree, segregation is bad
> why not separate irc channels

I see your point but that still made me chuckle.

(09-28-2011, 10:17 AM)Cortez666 Wrote: why dont you just make separate irc channels (its much easier).

Then it'd be good to have a thread with all the xonotic channels explaining what it is each one for.

(09-28-2011, 12:56 PM)forseti Wrote:

Then it'd be good to have a thread with all the xonotic channels explaining what it is each one for.

http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/IRC
This helps I guess.

(09-28-2011, 01:20 PM)Mirio Wrote: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/IRC
This helps I guess.

Yeah, but i was talking about something in the forum, not outside.

(09-28-2011, 11:16 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I see your point but that still made me chuckle.

if you would witness the madness which is going on in xonotic.de , you think this is a good idea Tongue
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Yeah I've been to #xonotic.de yesterday, and I have to admit I didn't find any added value to the #xonotic channel to say the least.
My Xonstats Profile

I vote for "no".
I dont like the idea to devide the forum in several language sections. English is the best for us.
The mind is like a parachute, it only works, if it is open!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [BUG] Forum software swallows newlines ballerburg9005 3 1,826 11-01-2021, 08:51 AM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  [SUGGESTION] New Forum Section: Servers Antares* 1 1,788 02-08-2021, 02:27 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [BUG] No proper Unicode handling in forum Lyberta 1 2,251 08-13-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: hotdog
  [SUGGESTION] Discourse Forum PetaByteBoy 9 8,243 03-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  [SUGGESTION] a sub-forum for user and game server admin communication BuddyFriendGuy 6 5,408 09-04-2015, 02:12 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Forum password reset security MrDetonia 1 3,075 03-28-2015, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Bringing back a few assets from Nexuiz as well as digging through the maps section Lee_Stricklin 1 3,612 12-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Sorting forum members by reputation? unfa 11 13,513 11-11-2013, 05:01 AM
Last Post: edh
Information [SUGGESTION] Idea: Forum cleanup? Samual 14 18,474 10-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] WOULD LIKE A CTS VID SECTION IN FORUM chooksta 7 6,373 11-29-2011, 04:09 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot