Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NEEDS INFO] Xonotic crashes as soon as I click 'Apply changes' in the config/video menu

Hi,

as soon as I click 'apply changes' in the configuration/video menu of Xonotic, the game crashes to the desktop. It doesn't matter what I change (be it the resolution, the AA setting or the vertical sync setting).

I deleted my old config so Xonotic could create a new one but it didn't help, as soon as I try to change something and click the apply button it crashes.

And no, it doesn't save the changes.

System: Ubuntu 12.04 with Gnome 3/GnomeShell, AMD HD5870 graphic card with the 12.4 fglrx driver.

Running the game from terminal does not produce any helpful output (no stacktrace/error message), the only thing I get is this
Code:
VID_Restart: changing from fullscreen 1024x768x32bpp, to fullscreen 1920x1200x32bpp.

Any idea on what is going on here?

*Edit

oh and I'm using the glx version

*edit2
the sdl version works without problems.

Does it start as windowed or fullscreen? I'm guessing it starts as 1024x768. What is your monitor's native resolution? Is it 1920x1200? Try to uncheck fullscreen before applying your changes, does it work then? Does sdl also work fine in 1920x1200?

If sdl works better for you, run sdl. That's why we offer both sdl and glx. If you want to make glx work, perhaps try to set the vid_netwmfullscreen cvar to 1. To do this, open the xonotic console using shift escape, and type this inside:
Code:
vid_netwmfullscreen 1
and press enter. Exit the console with escape, and set the resolution to your native resolution in the video settings in the menu and apply. See if that works.

At least for me apply changes also closes the game, but after that directly starts up, maybe something is blocking it?

well, I tried to do it via the advanced settings (misc -> advanced settings) but I can't enter anything there. If I start it via terminal, I can see that the input I try to make on the search/value fields is going straight to the console.

Also the whole game is flickering from time to time. Something is really wrong with that glx version.

SDL works so far but I wanted to do some comparsion (performance difference). Oh and yes the value is set to 0 atm.

@Mepper yes it does that in the SDL version aswell, but it's back in a split second. Also if that'd be the problem I guess that the config would still be saved.
(07-29-2012, 10:30 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Does it start as windowed or fullscreen? I'm guessing it starts as 1024x768. What is your monitor's native resolution? Is it 1920x1200? Try to uncheck fullscreen before applying your changes, does it work then? Does sdl also work fine in 1920x1200?

If sdl works better for you, run sdl. That's why we offer both sdl and glx. If you want to make glx work, perhaps try to set the vid_netwmfullscreen cvar to 1. To do this, open the xonotic console using shift escape, and type this inside:
Code:
vid_netwmfullscreen 1
and press enter. Exit the console with escape, and set the resolution to your native resolution in the video settings in the menu and apply. See if that works.

With the propreitary fglrx driver there are problems reported frequently.

If the SDL version works fine then you could change the resolution in the SDL version, exit and then load the GLX version. Does it then load correctly in the new resolution? This will then allow you to try your performance comparison - you will almost certainly see the SDL version as faster.

You can also run the game in a specific resolution from the terminal by appending -width 1920 - height 1200 -bpp 32. This is NOT the cvar route so will not be persistent but may be worth trying as part of your testing.

With the flickering screen, maybe this is down to the resolution? It might be a more general DVI timing issue causing loss of output to the monitor. A different resolution with a different timing you would then find to work OK. This would mean that you have 2 graphics driver issues instead of just 1.

You could also try running 'vid_restart' from the console WITHOUT changing resolution. Does this cause a similar crash? If so then it is not the resolution but just how fglrx handles a video restart which also flushes textures and some other things.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

tuxator, did you try what I described in my message? What did you try to do in the advanced settings, setting vid_netwmfullscreen to 1? Try using the xonotic console, please. That's shift escape from the menu.

If you want to do a comparison in performance between the two, you can do so in windowed mode if fullscreen doesn't work for glx. But try to get netwmfullscreen working first.

Also, you didn't tell me your native resolution.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [NEED HELP] Render Replay Directly to Video File cushinga 3 624 09-11-2023, 07:11 PM
Last Post: cushinga
  [NEED HELP] Menu Won't Load, Game Crashes EdwardHamHam 1 2,928 07-21-2022, 01:44 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [NEED HELP] Xonotic crashes on KDE Magotrap 3 1,557 05-03-2022, 01:08 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
  [NEED HELP] Menu freezes when typing server address, old bug? MeLikeyTacos 2 1,558 10-21-2021, 09:59 PM
Last Post: MeLikeyTacos
  [SOLVED] reload map changes in game Nyx 6 2,322 08-19-2021, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Julius
  [NEED HELP] NetRadiant crashes on Build - Mac (10.12.6) Space Ace 0 1,632 04-24-2019, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Space Ace
  [SOLVED] Can't click on my name in XonStats TheChrississin 4 2,599 03-09-2019, 10:24 AM
Last Post: falco
  [SOLVED] Menu fails to load after recent update Bloodthorn 2 2,727 09-25-2018, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Bloodthorn
  [NEED HELP] Menu freezes falco 2 2,618 11-25-2017, 06:45 AM
Last Post: falco
  [NEED HELP] video glitches in netradiant on windows 10 fabzor3 2 2,941 05-26-2017, 02:09 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot