Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NEEDS INFO] First Launch = Hard Reboot

Sad 
Alright, so I have a PPC Mac running 10.5.8 (yes, PowerPC), and I tried to open Xonotic for the first time, I got to the part where you enter your desired nickname, but then it gray screened ("you need to restart your computer now" blah blah blah) I restarted, and then tried it again. I got past the nickname part, but as the main menu was loading, it froze up. CMD-Q and CMD-OPT-ESC did not work. Another hard reboot. Poor poor laptop.... I scrolled through Console, looking for an answer, but found nothing that jumped out at me. Does anybody have any idea what is going on?
A Red Eclipse player from the [BLAZE] clan.

I thought Xonotic was compiled only for x86, or did you compile it yourself?

Also: you might want to paste that log somewhere and link to it so somebody can look at it too.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Haven't heard of this happening before :X

We do support PPC Mac with Mac OS 10.5 or higher (but not 10.4) normally, so that shouldn't be the problem... Can you try running the game in windowed mode maybe? To do this, either launch the game from the terminal by adding +vid_fullscreen 0 to the command (./xonotic-whatever +vid_fullscreen 0) or by adding a line set vid_fullscreen 0 in the file /User/frootyloops/.xonotic/data/config.cfg (create it if it does not exist) (note: .xonotic starts with a dot so it's a hidden folder).

(10-03-2012, 01:08 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Haven't heard of this happening before :X

We do support PPC Mac with Mac OS 10.5 or higher (but not 10.4) normally, so that shouldn't be the problem... Can you try running the game in windowed mode maybe? To do this, either launch the game from the terminal by adding +vid_fullscreen 0 to the command (./xonotic-whatever +vid_fullscreen 0) or by adding a line set vid_fullscreen 0 in the file /User/frootyloops/.xonotic/data/config.cfg (create it if it does not exist) (note: .xonotic starts with a dot so it's a hidden folder).

Ah, do not worry, of course I have my hidden folders and items visible ^^
I will try this when I get home tonight Smile Thank you!!!! Smile

And it is a universal binary, is it not? It opened, after all ^^

Yes, it's universal.

I'm not sure if PPC has been tested a lot, so if it does not work you might want to talk to merlijn about this!

(10-03-2012, 12:51 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Yes, it's universal.

I'm not sure if PPC has been tested a lot, so if it does not work you might want to talk to merlijn about this!

Probably not, it is basically an obsolete processor, I mean, I cant even use the latest version of flash...

But flash sucks, doesn't it?

If we're saying we support PPC and it doesn't actually work, you should really talk to merlijn about this to either remove PPC support or fix it.

Is the vid_fullscreen 0 thing working?

Didn't have access to my laptop yesterday ^^ I will try tonight Smile

Alright, I got onto my laptop, launched it, quickly got to the settings screen (because it started in fullscreen), got it into windowed, annnnndddd, it crashed. Not the laptop, thankfully, but the application.

BTW: the config file is not where you said it was. It is under /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Xonotic/data/config.cfg, I looked there because that's where the Red Eclipse autoexec.cfg is ^^

Oh okay, yes, I remember that now indeed.

I suggest you contact merlijn about this. If you can use IRC, he's usually in #xonotic on irc.freenode.net (you can use http://webchat.freenode.net). Or PM him on this forum.

If you contact him through IRC, you probably won't see him reply immediately. It can take some time for people to notice messages (hours sometimes) because, even though it seems like they are online, they might be idling. We often see IRC newbies asking a question and leaving a minute after, before anyone notices the question.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SOLVED] Xonotic won't launch on Win10 noChance79 7 6,257 06-23-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Cofein
Sad [SOLVED] Segmentation fault (HTTP error 422) at the end of the first map John 1 888 11-04-2022, 10:05 AM
Last Post: John
  [NEED HELP] Cannot launch xonotic-linux64-dedicated server (v0.8.5) in Ubuntu18.04 ff8eyes 3 1,722 08-13-2022, 02:43 AM
Last Post: FAF
  [NEED HELP] Segmentation fault on launch Gouldron 0 2,068 04-06-2019, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Gouldron
  [SOLVED] Trouble with launch Xonotic on Mac OS X kanatov 6 11,070 10-03-2015, 10:49 AM
Last Post: SomeGuy
  [SOLVED] Crash Upon Starting Second Level After Quitting First ehrenbrav 2 3,661 06-10-2015, 09:41 AM
Last Post: ehrenbrav
  [SOLVED] How to launch from Firefox? Vigil 6 5,347 05-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Vigil
  [NEEDS INFO] Running Xonotic in linux for the first time KroniK 3 8,422 08-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Last Post: JayWalker
  [SOLVED] Black screen and crash at launch kiro 3 5,203 08-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SOLVED] crash at launch ApexjE 14 13,330 06-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ApexjE