Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standalone Overkill weapons

So, I really like Overkill and wanted to use its weapons in other modes, so I decided to make this:

Standalone Overkill weapons for Xonotic
This mod adds separate weapons that act like overkill ones but have separate stats so you can use overkill weapons outside of overkill mutator.

How to build
  1. Clone official Xonotic repository
  2. In xonotic-data.pk3dir checkout branch Lyberta/StandaloneOverkillWeapons
  3. Build as usual.

Changelog
  • Added Overkill Shotgun, Overkill MachineGun and Overkill Vortex weapons. They are completely separate and have their own stats that match default Overkill stats.
  • Added secondary fire to Heavy MachineGun and Rocket Propelled Chainsaw.
  • Added secondary fire animation to all Overkill weapons.

How to use
Overkill weapons are only used in Overkill mutator by default. Their names are `okshotgun`, `okmachinegun` and `okvortex`. You can use them anywhere where you can specify the name of the weapon. For example:

Code:
g_balance_okshotgun_weaponstart 1

This will make players spawn with Overkill Shotgun.

Code:
g_weaponarena "okmachinegun okvortex"

This will create a weapon arena where everyone has Overkill MachineGun and Overkill Vortex.

There was a bug a few years ago when you can use an OK weapon with a normal model but I wasn't able to figure out how I did it originally.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada and EU Paris France - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(03-08-2017, 03:39 PM)end user Wrote: There was a bug a few years ago when you can use an OK weapon with a normal model but I wasn't able to figure out how I did it originally.

Just exec balance-overkill.cfg and don't set g_overkill 1. g_overkill enables the mutator that changes weapon models.

These weapons OTOH always use overkill model unless someone will specifically create a mutator which does otherwise.

I have finally made a faithful recreation of Overkill secondary blaster with all weapons. As a bonus, they will now play a secondary fire animation.

Nice work. You might want to include your CHANGELOG in the OP to make it easier to see what you've changed over time, if you plan on adding more versions. Feel free to keep bumping with updates as they happen, but the compilation is very helpful if you have comments happening in between. Cheers.

You can get a changelog by doing
Code:
git log --author=Lyberta --pretty=format:"%ar : %s"
Here's what it says at the time of post:
Code:
12 hours ago : Added secondary fire to HMG and RPC.
13 hours ago : Secondary fire animation for overkill weapons.
2 days ago : Overkill weapons: better secondary refire.
3 days ago : Overkill weapons: better config.
5 days ago : Merge branch 'master' into Lyberta/StandaloneOverkillWeapons
9 days ago : Merge branch 'master' into Lyberta/StandaloneOverkillWeapons
9 days ago : Fixed Overkill Vortex reload.
3 weeks ago : Fixed weapon priorities.
3 weeks ago : Fixed OK Vortex reload.
3 weeks ago : Merge branch 'master' into Lyberta/StandaloneOverkillWeapons
3 weeks ago : Added PrintToChat function.
3 weeks ago : Merge branch 'master' into Lyberta/StandaloneOverkillWeapons
3 weeks ago : Fixed OK Vortex reload.
4 weeks ago : Fixed vortex charge.
4 weeks ago : Merge branch 'master' into Lyberta/StandaloneOverkillWeapons
4 weeks ago : Rerun genmod.sh to obtain proper _mod files.
4 weeks ago : Use standalone weapons in overkill mutator.
4 weeks ago : Reduce code duplication in overkill machinegun.
4 weeks ago : Reduce code duplication in shotgun.
4 weeks ago : Fixed zoom.
4 weeks ago : Updated config files.
4 weeks ago : Added weapon code
4 weeks ago : Second fix of _mod files.
4 weeks ago : Fixed spawner.qc having improper filename.

I'll get right on adding a git client to the forums.

(04-07-2017, 07:49 AM)-z- Wrote: I'll get right on adding a git client to the forums.

Looks like a lot of work, do you think we need it?

(04-07-2017, 10:13 AM)Lyberta Wrote:
(04-07-2017, 07:49 AM)-z- Wrote: I'll get right on adding a git client to the forums.

Looks like a lot of work, do you think we need it?

No, because that's not a CHANGELOG. That's a git commit log.

Quote:Version 0.2 released. Now with MachineGun. Vortex may take a few days because it uses a lot of functionality outside the weapons folder.
This is more like a CHANGELOG. You have a tagged release with features/bugs/changes

I'm advising you to post the CHANGELOG in the OP to give an executive summary of the progression of your mod.  If you don't want want to add a CHANGELOG to the OP, that's fine, but you shouldn't expect others to have your code checked out in order to see what's changed, especially if it's a raw commit log.

(04-07-2017, 10:46 AM)-z- Wrote: I'm advising you to post the CHANGELOG in the OP to give an executive summary of the progression of your mod.  [/size]If you don't want want to add a CHANGELOG to the OP, that's fine, but you shouldn't expect others to have your code checked out in order to see what's changed, especially if it's a raw commit log.

Well, when I started the work on this, I didn't have write access to Xonotic repo so I've been putting changed files in a ZIP file and given it a version number. Now I have write access and I don't need to waste time packaging changed files. I'm just working on my branch and accumulate all changes there.

I'm not a fan of writing changelogs but if I have a significant update, I'd post it here.

EDIT: OK, I've added changelog.

There has been a heated discussion on IRC about new names for the weapons. Martin-t suggested "uzi" for okmachinegun and "nex" for okvortex. The problem is that UZI is a trademark and we can't really use it and Nex may conflict because it is the previous name of the Vortex.

If you have ideas for cool names, post them here.

I'm partial to the idea of giving them really generic/mechanical names, to fit the style of the mode (e.g. "Sniper" for the vortex). Not sure what to call the other 2 though.

Given the machinegun isn't a uzi at all, it would be best not to regress back to that unfitting name (not to mention the legal side of it).
[Image: 230.png]

Here's a few ideas:
okshotgun = Shredder
okmachinegun = SMG / SubMachineGun
okvortex = Reaper.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official Overkill balance martin-t 38 6,716 10-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Last Post: martin-t
  [SOLVED] Orienting weapons to bones (CSQC) toneddu2000 3 3,773 03-30-2015, 04:26 PM
Last Post: toneddu2000
  Where can I find the self animated weapons from Nexuiz? MirceaKitsune 14 7,523 11-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
Brick Weapons defined in text files / de-harding weapons [feature debate] MirceaKitsune 41 20,344 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Last Post: hutty
  How to make new weapons? Kris 2 2,178 09-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Information Alternatives to removing core weapons MirceaKitsune 6 3,270 09-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Last Post: hutty
  Replacing spawn weapons Samual 140 80,399 07-07-2012, 04:57 AM
Last Post: asyyy
  The Overkill thread tZork 30 20,793 06-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Last Post: tZork
  weapons not dropping in minsta games zypresse 9 5,937 01-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Last Post: zypresse
  Testing weapons MmmMmmGud 0 1,741 08-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Last Post: MmmMmmGud