Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 19 Vote(s) - 4.37 Average
Screenshots of what you're doing.

(05-07-2012, 09:09 AM)hutty Wrote: ... the portolaunch itself needs a redesign ...

both in model and in function ...

is it possible it use warpzones instead of teleporters for the portals? I t would look much nicer

also my digsyite map has some pls in it ... none of the offical maps do though

* Spaceman mutters "Screenshots of what you're doing"

(05-07-2012, 09:09 AM)hutty Wrote: ... the portolaunch itself needs a redesign ...

both in model and in function ...

is it possible it use warpzones instead of teleporters for the portals? I t would look much nicer

also my digsyite map has some pls in it ... none of the offical maps do though

The problem with that is that, while mappers can position warpzones to avoid graphical glitches, it can't be assured to look nice if players are in charge. Recursion is a problem.

And then things could happen like watching a map through 2 or 3 warpzones, which will cause huge fps drops.

* Maddin is requesting to move the discussion about weapons to the weapon thread and after doing that to delete this post.

A fern model I worked on now for two hours. Everything was made from scratch only with GIMP and Blender.Cool
[Image: scaled.php?server=220&filename=screeny1c...es=landing]

WOOOOW!
If it was edible, I would eat it with pleasure.

Nice fern!

But not to discourage you but this guy made some really nice level vegetation (and other stuff) which could be easily put into Xonotic:
http://opengameart.org/users/yughues

that ... is a very nice fern

(05-19-2012, 04:48 PM)Maddin Wrote: Is it GPL compatible?

If you are talking about the art in the link I posted, then yes... CC0 is GPL compatible. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted it here Wink

Argh. Then I wasted my time for it because the models you linked to are reason why I created this one for myself. Sad

(05-19-2012, 05:28 PM)Maddin Wrote: Argh. Then I wasted my time for it because the models you linked to are reason why I created this one for myself. Sad

I don't think you've wasted your time, no. Model looks great! Smile
p.s. your Warfare remake looks absolutely fantastic!

BTW you guys should work on (if you already aren't) getting these models into the Xonotic repo so that mappers can easily use and find them! I suppose it'd also be great if someone collected the best GPL-compatible ones from opengameart and had them put in the repos.

If not the repo, we should at least have some place where these can be collected for easy viewing (someplace easier than browsing a long thread like this one)

(05-07-2012, 01:47 PM)Mepper Wrote: And then things could happen like watching a map through 2 or 3 warpzones, which will cause huge fps drops.

If it's iteration you mean, i.e. warpzone through warpzone, then that is not supported (or as far as I know still not supported) in Xonotic. There are no worries that'd impact performance. However it'll look ugly as the 2nd iteration will just be a black square in place of the warpzone. (mappers obviously want to avoid it for this reason)

What however does impact performance (on maps, port-o-launch isn't as much of an issue until everyone shoots their pair of portals around :-P) is if there are several warpzones that you can look through at once. This triggers new renders, one for each warpzone, and THIS slows things down quite a lot...
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

I would love to add that fern to a few places on solarium. (although I think it would have to be merged first, to make sure everything works properly.)
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I guess I´ll optimise the models (->LoD) of yughues as they are rather high poly versions. Then they definitely should be merged to be available for every level designer.

Yeah, add it to Solarium! Atm, each bunch of grass on the map has those little crosses above them.

started preparing the models from yughues for Xonotic...
[Image: scaled.php?server=232&filename=plants1.jpg&res=landing]

Mostly awesome! I think I'll have some good use for them. Soon... Wink
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Nice... I was always wondering why no-one used these for some levels in Xonotic.

Regarding the polycounts... probably it's not worth investing much time into that as I am quite sure Xonotic isn't vertex fillrate limited on most PCs (especially if VBOs are supported). But maybe someone with an better idea of the DP engine can confirm this?

Nevertheless I did a low-poly verson of the palmtrees a while ago:
http://opengameart.org/content/palm-tree...ly-edition

But I think yughues made a nicer plamtree since then.

(05-20-2012, 08:47 AM)Maddin Wrote: started preparing the models from yughues for Xonotic...
[Image: scaled.php?server=232&filename=plants1.jpg&res=landing]

Very pretty and lifelike!

... i don't know how to put this ...
while there is nothing wrong with using models from opengameart ... I would prefer that - for the most part - models in xonotic were made for xonotic ... cause things would get pretty weird using models that were designed for a realistic style as opposed to a "xonotic" style (i could be completely wrong about this though)

also ... yeah ... I guess many warpzone pl would not work out well ... I was thinking that portal handeled it pretty well ... but in that game ... you would never have more than four (and it uses a different engine)

and @maddin ... you did not ... in any way ... wast your time ... you make a new fern ... that is different from their fern ... which means more options ... which means less repetition ... which makes a better game Big Grin

@hutty: I see your point, but in this case it's fine. plants are plants, there really isn't any "style" that can be applied to them.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

vegetation++ :-D
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Yeeah! Maddin's plantin' plants! Nice models!
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

i hope you will reduce the polys of the original models
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

After - before.
Coming soon in latest incubators next to you Wink

[Image: t1osfsye28mo9nwvcj8a_thumb.jpg]
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Weapon shader isn't doing as I'm intending to do LegendGuard 0 1,094 04-04-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  Videos of what you're doing. FruitieX 134 154,303 04-01-2017, 04:50 AM
Last Post: SpiKe