Create an account

Poll: Would you like a steampunk Laser model?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
5.00%
1 5.00%
No
95.00%
19 95.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Steampunk Laser Model

Do you think the current laser design sucks?. This is why I suggest a steampunk inspired laser model.

I like the current model in most respects. If anything it's too grungy/dirty.

Any aesthetic only looks good in context. Given that most of the game has a clean futurist style, the steampunk aesthetic would be entirely out of place and look awful.

We have enough of a problem with consistency across art assets as it is Tongue

F2 for me, sorry.

Yes I believe the current laser model sucks ... for the laser ...

Its still a great model ... and could fit something else very well ... it never felt as solid as the old model ...

however ... steampunk wouldn't fit very well ... xonotic doesn't have any brass in it ... no steampunk airplanes or goggle caps ...

also ... most steampunk equipment have gears, compasses, and other fragile moving parts that would easily fall off ... not an ideal situation for a gun thats entire pourpous is to roughen things up ....

[Image: Q0O69.png]

(img source: hat, goggles)

(10-10-2012, 02:06 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: [Image: Q0O69.png]

(img source: hat, goggles)

+1, submit a merge request right away.

rotfl :-]
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Steampunk + Xonotic = huge LOL
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Maybe sth like this:

[Image: maingungirl.jpg]

Personally, despite not liking the laser model being used as a laser model I would prefer it (theoretically) over a steampunk model. However, if you should decide to present a worthy model that surpasses the current one then I might consider changing my vote.

well ... this guy has a spork gun ... http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20081015

Why does everyone hate the current laser?

(10-13-2012, 09:57 AM)s1lencer Wrote: Why does everyone hate the current laser?

It's the only weapon I truly hate. Maybe if there was a secondary fire mode that actually killed, it might be more useful.

Also, it's ugly.

i mean the model.
although hating the laser indicates you haven't played the game much.

IMO the model is very fitting for its function, it just doesn't look like that in first person perspective.

Just so it doesn't seem everybody hates the laser model, I'd like to point out that when it got introduced it was widely accepted and welcomed, I guess the people that like it just don't bother to speak up here. I love the current laser model and think it's absolutely fitting for the most important gun in Xonotic.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

To clarify I like the model but I don't like the choice of weapon it is used for. Its much more fitting to be used as the grapple gun and others have said the same.

Miguel: the name name 'laser' gun is a bit of a misnomer as only pro players use it to kill people. A bettwe name for it would be the jump-gun as it propels the player into the air when fired at the ground. If you use it that way it becomes a much more useful tool when playing.

s1lencer Wrote:i mean the model.

Learn to write clearly (and please show some respect to others by following the basic rules of grammar).

s1lencer Wrote:although hating the laser indicates you haven't played the game much.

Not true, look at the others who prefer a grappling hook instead.

s1lencer Wrote:IMO the model is very fitting for its function, it just doesn't look like that in first person perspective.

Maybe, but that's not art. It's shit.

(10-13-2012, 07:31 PM)Miguel Wrote: Maybe, but that's not art. It's shit.

Nice argument.

Telling other people to show some respect while in the same post calling other people's work "shit" isn't really convincing, Miguel.

Edit: haha, MrBougo, you were faster again!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Right. I guess we need to replace laser with a poogun. I will add it to the tracker. Thanks Miguel!
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

I agree with him, let's make the lasergun in a complete different art-style than the rest of the game, also, let's remove laser and only allow grappling hook too. Wink

PinkRobot Wrote:Right. I guess we need to replace laser with a poogun.

Yes, you got it. A weapon that can create anything: walls, golems, pink unicorns, weapons, floors.

PinkRobot Wrote:I will add it to the tracker. Thanks Miguel!

You are welcome and thank you. I though you were only a troll, no offense. Good luck with the ongoing development of the game. Wink

I like the laser model. I think it's awesome!

(10-14-2012, 02:35 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: I like the laser model. I think it's awesome!

Good. Diversity is wonderful, why can't we respect other points of view?.

(10-14-2012, 03:12 PM)Miguel Wrote:
(10-14-2012, 02:35 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: I like the laser model. I think it's awesome!

Good. Diversity is wonderful, why can't we respect other points of view?.

We can and do and you are the only one who can't (..."it's shit").

We also usually explain the reason why we don't like something and you make replies presuming things that aren't the case. ("It's not art". Nobody said it was).

If you don't like the jump gun design or using the gun itself you have no obligation to use it in the game.

If you don't like the model then put forward something better instead of disrespectfully putting down the model that someone else worked on and calling it "ugly" and "shit" and saying you "hate" it. Be constructive about your criticism at least.

Finally, I agree with s1lencer about you. You haven't played the game enough to understand the value of the gun or how to use it. You're not even humble enough to concede that you're new to the game, I've also seen your stats and it clearly shows.

Quote:We can and do and you are the only one who can't (..."it's shit").

Sure, I am the only one. Look, I admit that was a wrong way to frame my opinion. I just dislike the model, not need to say anything else.

Quote:We also usually explain the reason why we don't like something and you make replies presuming things that aren't the case. ("It's not art". Nobody said it was).

No, it's just plain ugly.

Quote:If you don't like the jump gun design or using the gun itself you have no obligation to use it in the game.

I don't use it, most of the time anyway.

Quote:If you don't like the model then put forward something better instead of disrespectfully putting down the model that someone else worked on and calling it "ugly" and "shit" and saying you "hate" it. Be constructive about your criticism at least.

Point taken.

Quote:Finally, I agree with s1lencer about you. You haven't played the game enough to understand the value of the gun or how to use it. You're not even humble enough to concede that you're new to the game, I've also seen your stats and it clearly shows.

What's a new player?. I play much better than so called new players, some even confuse me with a veteran.

Also, what if I don't like the laser?. People think differently, for god sake. Get over it. It doesn't have anything to do with lack of experience.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin [SUGGESTION] Mickey Mouse player model rudzik8 0 384 01-03-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: rudzik8
Question Is adding a Quake-like laser to the main game a good idea? cushinga 2 1,076 03-28-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon model ideas - Post here! Beagle 7 6,069 04-09-2016, 02:11 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Loading only one player model when forcing cccxd 1 2,779 08-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] Humanoid dragon model for Xonotic? darkhog 0 2,137 08-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Last Post: darkhog
  [SUGGESTION] Rocket Launcher model idea Beagle 5 6,057 05-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Ogger73
  [SUGGESTION] Player model descriptions removed nilyt 6 7,609 11-22-2014, 03:14 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  [SUGGESTION] [Poll] Increase Laser Push Force on Opponents Halogene 23 22,230 05-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Last Post: jizzman
  [SUGGESTION] Adjustable model geometry s1lence 7 8,108 02-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Last Post: s1lence
  [SUGGESTION] laser push force boost with quad ? Rage_ATWM 9 7,194 01-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Rage_ATWM