Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another new open-source FPS: Red Eclipse

Besides Xonotic, other open-source projects are alive and kicking. And Red Eclipse is one of those, and version 1.0 was released a while ago. Give it a shot and think what Xonotic could learn from this game. Or just try it for fun. Smile

http://www.redeclipse.net/

Also, I want to point a few aspects about being "just another Quake clone" which I mentioned in this thread. Think about these things: How Xonotic could significantly differ from other Quake-ish titles and Red Eclipse? How Xonotic is going to be "the best open source FPS of its kind"? Red Eclipse is going to be a serious "competitor". Tongue

Cheers

I played a svn version of Red Eclipse a while back and while its kinda cool the weapons are unique and fun but movement was way to slow.

(04-09-2011, 03:31 PM)Exitium Wrote: Red Eclipse is going to be a serious "competitor". Tongue

I have doubts.
<[-z-]> have you seen the documentary "happy"?
<Samual_> no
<Samual_> it sounds horrible

Maybe RE is targeting for a bit more realistic gameplay.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Thanks for putting that up, I hadn't heard anything about it reaching 1.0.

I also played SVN some time last year and it was *really* fun, but a little buggy (also I had 200+ ping to the only server available Tongue)

The weapons just have this satisfying feel to them, and the collaborative editing features of the engine are a massive boon. Though as Liquid Sin said, it's too slow. They try and make up for it using jetpacks and doublejumping, but it's still slooow.

In the end, Xonotic will probably be differentiated from Quake, UT, RE, etc by:
  • Its awesome art
  • The fact that it embraces tricks like strafing, rather than removing them
  • The size and friendliness of its community
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

(04-09-2011, 04:52 PM)Liquid Sin Wrote: I played a svn version of Red Eclipse a while back and while its kinda cool the weapons are unique and fun but movement was way to slow.

Coming from this game *everything* will feel too slow!
4m038105 - Be the change.

(04-12-2011, 08:34 AM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote:
(04-09-2011, 04:52 PM)Liquid Sin Wrote: I played a svn version of Red Eclipse a while back and while its kinda cool the weapons are unique and fun but movement was way to slow.

Coming from this game *everything* will feel too slow!

So true.

Red Eclipse does look nice though. I like the weapon animations, also the sword is very cool.

edit: Got bored and downloaded it. Its alright but I didn't like the gui very much it seemed very cramped/messy but I guess they will fix that with time. The physics seemed dodgy, kept falling off the side on a space style map although that could have been due to the 180+ ping I had Tongue Aside from that it seemed like a pretty stereotypical shooter. Another thing that peeved me was having to hold E to pick up weapons, not really suitable for a fast paced DM game.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

Maybe they're making a foundation for a single-player game. In that case, we should learn from it and finally start doing something campaign-related.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

I just started playing Red Eclipse and it seems funny though I'm still getting used to the weapons.

BTW I agree that it's a pain to have to press a key to pick up a weapon. I use the mouse to turn around and shoot so I configured Enter to pick up weapons to make things easier. I don't know if the authors wanted to make things more complex with that idea or what...
Ciao Smile
Massimo

You can't carry more than two guns besides the pistol.
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

I've been following development of it for a while, but they have some major disadvantages and problems with their development... I'm actually surprised they managed to get 1.0 out even Tongue

As for my opinion on the game itself: It is polished, but I don't think the gameplay is very fun. The maps are high quantity but low quality lacking any real detail, and the weapons are unsatisfying to fire. (Feels like i'm shooting a toy at best.)

This is what Blood Frontier turned into isn't it? That game just felt... weird, wimpy feeling weapons, didn't actually feel like I was in my character, floaty physics, etc. and it was TOO SLOW. It looked pretty and ran alright, but that's all it had going for it.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

I played the various Red Eclipse maps included in the package. I think they're a mixed bags so some of them are high quality - like many Sauerbraten maps - while some others look sketchy as if they're beta versions with just raw objects in them.

Considering that it's a new game it's no surprise that it needs improvements so I'll hold my judgement until at least the next bit update.
Ciao Smile
Massimo

Hmm, I haven't tried it yet but the wall walking looks interesting!
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGG
3 DAYSSS??????????? 5 DAYS JUST TO DOWNLOAD THIS GAME?????
E=mc ^ 2 only applies to rest bodies. The one we should be using is E=mc^2 √1 - v^2/c^2 Smile

I started a 2 page forum post about the differences between Xonotic and Red Eclipse here: http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1955

What do you guys think?

Quote:And the Oscar for "Troll of the Month" goes to...
Good job, now they think Xonotic is a bridge.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

What do you mean bridge? (noob question Tongue)

It's of course common knowledge of any fantasy fan or experienced internet user that bridges is what trolls like to hide under. Or maintain, depending on troll. And some trolls take tolls from their t[r]oll bridges. Just roll with that.

(04-16-2011, 11:26 AM)Minkovsky Wrote: Maybe they're making a foundation for a single-player game. In that case, we should learn from it and finally start doing something campaign-related.

Need monsters for that and the code that goes with that. I'd like that too. But who will do it?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New open source game: AAAAXY divVerent 9 3,965 12-25-2022, 08:38 AM
Last Post: takemat
Information [NEED HELP] MA on open-source game development Jules 0 2,423 09-26-2020, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Jules
  New FPS fan website MarisaG 4 5,205 09-08-2018, 01:21 PM
Last Post: MarisaG
  Rendering with one graphics card, outputting video with another. Can it be done? Lee_Stricklin 0 3,206 08-17-2018, 12:29 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  Is Open Source Multiplayer FPS as a whole dying? Danfun64 9 9,938 01-13-2018, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Antares*
Wink Splatoon, Cause Nintendo Can FPS Too Orbiter Sunblast 2 4,470 07-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Orbiter Sunblast
  Toxikk - Arena FPS kojn^ 57 54,922 03-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  Cool new FOSS multiplayer FPS (Terminal-Overload) poVoq 22 33,657 10-23-2014, 07:07 AM
Last Post: poVoq
  Seems there's a resurgence in high speed and arena FPS games now Lee_Stricklin 12 23,426 09-23-2014, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  An open content ratings system for videogames? Lee_Stricklin 26 37,531 09-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Last Post: end user