Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free images for use in textures

I took a few pictures the other day that might be useful in creating textures. You can browse them here. They are all licensed under GPLv2.

I also have the RAW sources available for those who want to do a little bit more tweaking (with ufraw or Raw Therapee). PM me if you are interested in doing that.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Very well photographed textures. These would be very useful.
A good trick is to put a business card in the corner of the shot so you can have a reference point for scale and colour correction.

Thanks for the info! I've done color correction on these already, but I can certainly do the business card thing for future ones.

I once made photos very much like these to use for textures. People called me noob for having shadows in them. I will not call you noob (for obvious reasons) but a lot of these do have shadows in them Wink
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

That's fine. I take pictures anyway (http://antzucaro.com/photography/). If they can be used for something, great. If not, *shrug*.

Well I did not see the point of not having shadows either. Let me be noob as long as it's fun to do Big Grin
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

I'm not seeing shadows in them, lighting seems to be very much diffused evenly to me. They are definitely useable to create textures with, thanks Antibody.

Nice stuff, i just had a look at a few since my connection is so damn slow here. but what i saw seems to be quite useful as basis for texture work.

The "no shadows in texture-photo" thing is you do not want pronounced *directional* shadows in textures meant for use with normal maps / real time lights, this is because those will mess with the shadow/light added by this. (also manes shadows fall the wrong way if one rotates the texture) A few soft diffuse shadows are normally no issue and can also easily be taken out with any image editing app worth its name, if need be.

[Image: NGHvh.jpg]

I used 1 image to make a texture
www.morphed.planetnexuiz.com/concrete.pk3
copy into data folder and type "map concrete" on console to see it ingame

oO
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

I'm happy that at least one texture could be made from these sources. If I get more pictures I'll certainly post them! Also if anyone has any specific requests let me know.

Nice references Big Grin
[Image: bartucnexuiz.png]

Wow, Antibody! They're really good! I like very much the tree barks and stones! Thanks a lot for sharing!

PS: I don't see any license.txt in the folder. Maybe it's better to create a file for the License.

toneddu2000, thanks for reminding me. I'll put a license up there ASAP.

EDIT: license is up here.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Free/GPL Models & Programs AllegedlyDead 7 14,249 10-26-2021, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Dares
  [NEED HELP] Custom NetRadiant Textures / Textures Not Loading 3agle427 3 3,948 09-03-2021, 01:40 PM
Last Post: HIBANEZ
  Textures: evillair's eU Texture Set Julius 1 1,716 11-27-2020, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Julius
  Textures: Xonotic Items as decals Julius 1 1,922 05-14-2020, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Garux
  Textures: Techy Julius 6 3,387 01-12-2019, 09:05 AM
  Textures: Julius's Light Beams Julius 2 2,371 01-11-2019, 08:30 AM
  Textures: Tabun Decals Julius 2 2,867 12-16-2018, 09:22 AM
  Textures: Nobiax Impacts Julius 0 1,737 12-07-2018, 02:53 PM
  How would i create glass textures? Molnija 2 2,514 10-28-2018, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Molnija
  Having trouble getting transparent textures to work Notavi 5 2,890 07-17-2018, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Notavi