Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Darkmatch

There was a game mode in the first unreal, and later as a mutator for Unreal Tournament called darkmatch. It was a modification of normal deatmatch (or any other game type if it wa used as a mutator), with the following exception that all the lights on the map were removed (except for some faint ambient light in outdoor areas) and every player was equipped with a flashlight. This allowed for some interesting gameplay.

How about adding something like that to Xonotic? I see there are already some mutators similar to the ones that were popular in UT.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

im not sure if it's possible in Xonotic. dynamic lights are not a strength of the dp engine.

nexuiz/xonotic did a map where you only can see the silhouette of the player. i havent tested that map but something like that is possible.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Except for the spooky atmosphere I think we have enough of low player visibility if you just disable fullbright skins (disabled by default)...
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

@Halogene: it's not about spooky atmo, it's about not seeing a thing except that which is lit by the flashlights beam, and that what is lit by flashlight beams of other players.

here's an example video from Unreal 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y9UQ46R6q0
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

There actually was a deathmatch map for Nexuiz that was loaded with bugs and developed by... a certain somebody who will get insta-baned on site. It was dark and you could only see player silhouettes and the description on it read: A darkmatch.

@Lee: and there is also a certain somebody who didnt read what other people posted

that deathmatch maps has one major issue. you easily can cheat. one way are fullbright skin, the other are console commands.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

But most of the console command (which are for the developers) are "cheats" and therefor detected by the server.

Back to topic: If we implement this gamemode we would also need a torch!

the point is you can do it by the map settings (as long the map doesnt have a skybox or anything else which provides much light).

regarding the settings: there isnt much you cant do about them. you can use the mapcfg but you easily can avoid that.

(09-29-2011, 11:15 AM)Maddin Wrote: Back to topic: If we implement this gamemode we would also need a torch!

Yeah, I guess making a dynamic (attached to player model) spotlight could be harder than removing all the map lightning.