Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are maps in Xonotic hinted?

I have downloaded source maps from GIT of Afterslime and Solarium - no hint brushes.

Why there are no hints there?

Because some mappers are too lazy to place them... -_-´

they can be contra productive, if the performance is fine i wouldnt place them.

There are more serious problems then this!
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Solarium still needs a better performance so... yeah. Wink

Quote:they can be contra productive, if the performance is fine i wouldnt place them.

How you measure performance in a map Cortez?

Mostly by FPS, visible triangles, faces etc. There are developer tools to do this ingame.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

In UrT we have r_speeds tool. We know approx. capacity of engine in polygons so mappers can adjust maps easily.

I'm surpised that Xonotic maps are not optimized in terms of performance. I noticed that most of the custom maps have terrible performance, but stock maps supposed to be "perfect".

r_speeds works in xonotic too
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Quote:r_speeds works in xonotic too

Tops values after which engine get choked are...?

It's not that easy. Truly a lot depends on the machine you run, the binary, OS, a lot of things. Also, Darkplaces can render gazillion polygons easily. Problem comes when it needs to animate them.
On this regard, hinting is rather important for the anti wallhack aspect of vis, not performance.

Its also a matter of many mappers just don't know how to properly do hinting ... (me) ...

Better, completetly different approach to subject:

http://www.custommapmakers.org/wiki/inde...uIL_method

Do Hints work in Darkplaces in the same way as in idtech3?

Yes, they do. For properly hinted maps, check Darkzone or Lightspeed.

Though there are many ways to "hint" your map. Compare my map Bio Lab (link in signature) with the maps C.Brutail mentioned.

Where I can find .map for Bio Lab? It's not in .pk3 and I don't want to decompile your work Smile

Hints are not mandatory, if map have vis friendly layout then there is no need to place them. Its hard to give max polygon count, because there are different kind of polygons, some have complicated shaders, some are transparent, some are from dynamic meshes, each one have different rendering speed.

Quote:Hints are not mandatory, if map have vis friendly layout then there is no need to place them.

So I guess vast majority of Xonotic maps is "VIS friendly" Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick Proposal to change the mapping procedure for official Xonotic maps CuBe0wL 21 33,037 04-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Samual
  git repository maintenance (xonotic-maps) divVerent 8 11,139 05-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Last Post: -z-