Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Duel/FFA]Crystal Cave

Map has been added to the Montreal based Super Mario Bros. USA server.
[Image: 230.png]

This map is looking good, Justin. I wish that it will be an official map of Xonotic sometime in the future. It sure does have atmosphere to it.

Oh! Thank you! I'm worried about gameplay though. But some ideas could be an inspiration for mappers to create map that not only looks but also works. Feel free to use assets I created. It's GPL after all, right?

Well, this appears to be a pretty little map. I was busy with Minetest and Sauerbraten, but I hope that I can try this map out sometime.

It seems to list onslaught as possible game mode, but crashes my server when trying to use it as onslaught map.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I might have added ons into game modes by mistake...
Would you like me to add generators and make it onslaught? There might be just enough place for this game type, I could expand it a litlle. like lets say: 2 control points and 2 generators...
[Image: nodes.jpg]
G1 would be on bottom, Beneath the staircase) and G2 would be placed in the tree room on the higher platform
N1 would be on the top platform in the middle room and N2 would be located on the glass floor close to the cave with water.

Could be a fun little onslaught map.

That would actually make a really decent small scale ONS map, dwo iiitttt! Smile

All right. Map now supports team games such as CTF and ONS, bots should be fully functional (for its not Quake). The nodes system is simple and from above it looks like large Z across the map (see the screene). Few items have been moved to make some place for the control points and generators... I didn't move tree though, cause it rooted itself deeply. Thanks for feedback as always, stay tuned!
[Image: ons-crystal2.jpg]

[Image: ons-crystal.jpg]

Download:
CRYSTALCAVE-R04.PK3
Download link available in first post as well

PS: If you see any bugs/missing textures...: Please tell.

yo - very nice map - the look of it is much better than in R03 version ... Cool

As far I can test there are no missing textures.
Map is playable on Prophets server.
Thanks for your work.

GreetZ Su

Looks good and seems to be fun.

And a random idea popes into my head. What if the control points automsticly generate a cubemap during map compilation so that the shield can have an awesome reflection effect?
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Very nice map indeed.
I noticed the pk3 size is very big, and this is due to the 16MB .tga files... Perhaps it would be best to supply a copy for use elsewhere with the .tga's intact, and another pk3 for servers, using smaller .jpg (you can split the alpha channel into a separate texture, named texturename_alpha.jpg).

Not sure if generating cubemaps for control points can be done automatically, but I am not even sure how the current cubemaps are generated, so it's possible. Just need to find someone with experience.

After some experimenting with converting the .tga's to .jpg, I found it saves about 14MB.
Not as great as I was hoping, but a 25MB .pk3 is close to an average map size now, while 39MB was a bit crazy.

Here's the experimental smaller version for anyone who wants it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4896..._small.pk3

"Thanks for your work."
"Looks good and seems to be fun."
Thanks for your time and feedback! Wink
"After some experimenting with converting the .tga's to .jpg, I found it saves about 14MB."
Thanks, Mario. I guess I was too busy to think about it!
"What if the control points automsticly generate a cubemap during map compilation so that the shield can have an awesome reflection effect?"
Seems like a good idea. You will have to bother Maddin. Currently I don't know anyone else who mastered shader creation like that. Mabye C.Brutail could help too. I am super busy at the moment.

(01-17-2015, 06:39 PM)Mario Wrote: Not sure if generating cubemaps for control points can be done automatically, but I am not even sure how the current cubemaps are generated, so it's possible. Just need to find someone with experience.

the console command "envmap" renders a cubemap on the current player location, if thats what you mean.

Love the vegetation and space rain. Awesome map.

As long as I'm alive there's always an unclipped area somewhere. Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [WIP] mvxdm04 - Duel / FFA map munyul 18 14,643 09-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Last Post: munyul
  [FFA] Labyrinth SpiKe 2 5,385 04-23-2016, 04:40 AM
Last Post: SpiKe
  [Duel/FFA] Cucumber SpiKe 24 27,235 04-21-2016, 05:16 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [Duel/FFA] Erbium Justin 52 53,370 08-17-2015, 05:46 AM
Last Post: Mario
  [Duel] Mint (was: [Duel] Unnamed WIP map) monad 10 11,502 07-31-2015, 02:54 PM
Last Post: monad
  [FFA] 7 Colors BuddyFriendGuy 6 6,524 07-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [Duel/FFA] Imprisoned Justin 77 82,392 06-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Last Post: machine!
  [FFA] SpaceApple Justin 1 3,482 12-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Last Post: machine!