Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duel Mapping Contest 2015 - Brainstorming

Mod notice: Originally posted in Duel Mapping Contest (sponsored by Sapphire) but deserves and needs its own thread.
--

Lets get another one of these going in the near future. After realizing how many great maps came about because of this I don't think it would be a bad idea.

Maybe this time lets have bigger prizes and rewards for 2nd and 3rd?
[Image: 38443.png]

I'd pitch in to the prize bucket!
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

I think it's a good idea to have a contest once again. We can probably generate a decent prize pool with donations (like Reversion Cup #1) and don't have to change the ruleset a lot.

I could organise it and maintain the donations.

It looks like a good idea - lots of good maps were created in this contest (Fuse, the winner, is really awesome).
I'm ready to make a donation too.

I would probably participate for fun, but heh, there are lots of better mappers around Wink

I could donate my old "gaming" keyboard. It's SteelSeries 6Gv2. I replaced it (with Ducky DK2018S) because on the left side, instead of Windows key, it has this crappy SteelSeries key which is like "Fn" on laptops, that is completely useless except for few media keys. The rationale seems to be that poor gamers accidentally press Windows key during tournaments and minimize their Windows games )). But otherwise it's good. I even cleaned it before returning it to the box! Still, I'm not sure if it's worth it (postage).

[Image: productpage_6gv2_big.png]
[Image: OYvkngZ.png] I'm woky on IRC.

One can never have enough duel maps. Smile

I can't support with money but I would probably try make a map (even though not for winning, you guys know my mapping skills Tongue).

Hope to see this take off. I would definitely pitch in money once I have some available.
[Image: 38443.png]

(04-20-2015, 10:10 AM)shogun_assassin Wrote: I could donate my old "gaming" keyboard. It's SteelSeries 6Gv2. I replaced it (with Ducky DK2018S) because on the left side, instead of Windows key, it has this crappy SteelSeries key which is like "Fn" on laptops, that is completely useless except for few media keys. The rationale seems to be that poor gamers accidentally press Windows key during tournaments and minimize their Windows games )). But otherwise it's good. I even cleaned it before returning it to the box! Still, I'm not sure if it's worth it (postage).

If you sign it, I promise that I will win it and that I will treasure it.

Will be interesting to watch and interesting to see how you gather attention for this contest.

Put up a new texture set which has to be mainly used for the maps, just to make it more interesting.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(04-21-2015, 03:30 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: Put up a new texture set which has to be mainly used for the maps, just to make it more interesting.
I'd be more in favor of seeing a variety of surprising styles, including your own texture set if the mapper has the skill for that. It could also be a recommendation, say if you use original textures and the execution and style looks coherent you're likely to get extra points. If the contest attracts a couple of Justin equivalents from other communities, it could help the growing of mapping assets in Xonotic.

Real thread and competition: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=5450

May I suggest a soundtrack contest after the winning maps are determined? I would love to have fresh music tracks to go with the new maps.

There seemed to have some prior attempts of soundtrack contests but there wasn't enough interest. I think partly it's because not too many new tracks ended up being accepted officially. Do you think we can give the composers some opportunities, by promising that the winners' works will be included in the official release, with the corresponding maps?

Sure, there's no issue with running a music competition as well. Let's keep all of those heads bobbing!
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

LOL @Smilecythe. I wasted a lot of time staring at that mesmerizing gif.

So @Antibody and all, how shall we proceed to make the Music Competition official? Shall I go to the Music/Sound forum to ask for volunteers to organize it? Or is there an official procedure for it?

As an update here, we had a poll and decided to make the Music Contest happen.

Right now it's still under the brainstorming stage, so please help by discussing and providing feedback. Thanks, everyone!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FREE Invasion mapping contest Kotangens 2 5,529 12-27-2021, 01:25 PM
Last Post: end user
Lightbulb [Easy Community Contest]- Rank Yourself Ridgebeam 18 9,381 07-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Ridgebeam
  Mapping contest for duel maps (idea) RazorDodger 10 4,097 05-30-2021, 10:10 AM
Last Post: SPLAT
  Xonotie Mapping Contest 2021 (winner: SirRanjid - vmmm) Antares* 28 13,586 03-04-2021, 03:10 PM
Last Post: _para
  Mapping contests participation Justin 17 20,807 12-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  2015 Xonotic Soundtrack Competition BuddyFriendGuy 36 35,039 11-25-2015, 03:52 PM
Last Post: kojn^
Thumbs Up [concluded] Vote for 2015 Xonotic Soundtrack Competition BuddyFriendGuy 1 4,393 09-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Duel Mapping Contest 2015 Mirio 81 75,167 08-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Last Post: shogun_assassin
  Duel Mapping Contest (sponsored by Sapphire) asyyy 57 80,640 12-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Justin
  GlobalGamers CTF Mapping Contest Voting Samual 58 66,367 12-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Mario