Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
[SUGGESTION] Weapons: firemode and transformation

The whole discussion about weapon balance and models brought a few ideas to my mind.

First i wondered if it is necessary to have a secondary or even third firemode. On the one hand i feel that its not indispensable because we know it for example from the Quake series, on the other hand i feel it would be more fun and give more possibilities in tactical gameplay.

Well, i get the idea that all weapons secondary or third firemode need some skill to unlock them. That means you need for example 3 frags with the weapon to show you can handle it. Then it will transform and unlock the next firemode. Players get guided rockets only if the are able to hit and frag with nonguided missiles. Maybe we can even combine it with ingame mutators like vampire, rocketflying or more selfdamage.

I imagine that this transformation would look neat but this is more difficult because the weaponmodels have to be dynamic.

For me it would be another option to balance the weapons and generate more game depth. But its only a thought of mine Angel

unlocking something is not something the community wants, if i understood that correctly.

afaik transforming models is not possible.

This would just make new people incredibly frustrated and make the gap between beginners and pros enormous. We also have way too many weapons right now, and adding a third firing mode would make the game too complex.
(01-05-2011, 07:17 PM)naryl Wrote: > Ubuntu is an ancient African word that means "cant configure debian"

Actually it's for "I can't install Gentoo".

I would love to see unlocks, but unlocks that don't make you stronger when used. For example using an unlock would give you a set of advantages but also a set of disadvantages, example being lowered speed/weapon switch times/refire or faster rot etc.

I would imagine this system to work like an item system, which could work together with our eventual achievement system so that some achievements (or certain milestones for amounts of achievements) would give you unlocks.

This would work wonders for the balance crapstorm going on, we could just dump in everyone's ideas and balance them against each other, then let people choose. If only it were that easy though Wink
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

What I think about this idea: KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

On the subject of unlocks, I'd personally prefer a Counter-Strike style per-server per-session unlock system, based on money. This means that there is no need for a centralized statistics tracking server or "trusted servers" or even just a client-side unlock system.

TBH I think a third firemode is a *bit* too complicated, and I sort of like the Nexrun approach of one fire mode. We already have enough weapons in any case Angel
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

(02-21-2011, 03:18 AM)clanclanclan Wrote: the XPM approach of one fire mode.

Let us call it the Nexrun approach, because XPM surely won't do such extreme modifications from the defaults.

(02-20-2011, 07:06 PM)FruitieX Wrote: I would love to see unlocks, but unlocks that don't make you stronger when used. For example using an unlock would give you a set of advantages but also a set of disadvantages, example being lowered speed/weapon switch times/refire or faster rot etc.

I would imagine this system to work like an item system, which could work together with our eventual achievement system so that some achievements (or certain milestones for amounts of achievements) would give you unlocks.

This would work wonders for the balance crapstorm going on, we could just dump in everyone's ideas and balance them against each other, then let people choose. If only it were that easy though Wink

Dis/advantages like in Rune Match, where every "rune" would give you a strength and a weakness, with additions like "in_pitch_min -180; in_pitch_max 180".
4m038105 - Be the change.

You are right Fruitiex, we also need disadvantages! I never want an "Uberplayer" Rolleyes
I talked with someone on IRC, to my regrets i don't know anymore who it was, maybe you clanclanclan?

We had the idea that the player get a reward for every frag he makes. Maybe we could have a bar for such an "energy" or "experience" or "chakra" which would increase with the amount of frags. With a certain charging level you would have the possibility to unlock the secondary firemode of one weapon of your choice - additionally, Alien Arena has a similar system for powerups. Well, one limitation according to that could be, that unlocking a secondary firemode of one weapon could make it impossible to unlock it for another weapon, or that there would be a defined number of unlockings.
This could lead to specialized use of weapons.

To make it possible for a player to balance the match there could be a weapon which reduces the charging level of this "chakra" with every hit. In my opinion this must be a weapon all players have from the beginning - like the laser.

(02-25-2011, 06:17 AM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote: Dis/advantages like in Rune Match, where every "rune" would give you a strength and a weakness, with additions like "in_pitch_min -180; in_pitch_max 180".

This is a good point. We could combine also such features.

PS: I only mentioned a third firemode, because I was unsure if it already exists Tongue

(03-01-2011, 05:19 PM).Danny. Wrote: I remember playing on eggandbacon a few months back just to see how many frags announcements there were ('triple kill' ,'rage' etc..) I think the announcments stopped after about 30. I wish i remember what the last one was.

Anyway what about a medal system?

You unlock a new medal when you achieve a certain amounts of frags without dying in online play.

Please read the topics you want to answer carefully! You can open your own thread to make a suggestion about a medal system, because this has nothing to do with the topic i started!

And if you wanna spam then go to the offtopic section and spam as much as you like, but please dont spread your spam to all serious topics you haven't really read. That is unfriendly and annoying to the other users. (You get this as private message too.)

(02-20-2011, 12:54 PM)RaptorFX Wrote: Well, i get the idea that all weapons secondary or third firemode need some skill to unlock them. That means you need for example 3 frags with the weapon to show you can handle it. Then it will transform and unlock the next firemode. Players get guided rockets only if the are able to hit and frag with nonguided missiles. Maybe we can even combine it with ingame mutators like vampire, rocketflying or more selfdamage.

Maybe this would make a good singleplayer thing (player starts with spawn weapons but unlocks a new weapon with every kill, then unlocks secondaries, etc.?), but online I think it would only create a bigger gap between the newbs vs pros.

Just another thought, how would we trigger the third firemode? Alt key?

Just another thought, how would we trigger the third firemode? Alt key?
[/quote]

IdeaHold down the fire button? Or one button to scroll between the 3 modes instead of utilizing 3 seperate buttons.

(03-04-2011, 03:28 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Just another thought, how would we trigger the third firemode? Alt key?
As I know it from other games, I would suggest to press both mousebuttons.
Firemode 1: left mouse, Firemode 2: right mouse, Firemode 3: left + right mouse

But!!!!!!

RaptorFX Wrote:PS: I only mentioned a third firemode, because I was unsure if it already exists Tongue

Let's not make things more complicated here... :p

Two fire modes are enough

A vote?

(03-07-2011, 09:21 AM)FruitieX Wrote: Let's not make things more complicated here... :p

Two fire modes are enough

Just to clarify I think it would be a bad idea to add more firemodes too, still it's a interesting idea to toy with.

When Lee's done killing the idea with fire, I intend to vaccum up the ashes out of the air, mix it with some sawdust, add a bit of paste to harden it, then burn it to death again.
...with a grenade.

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

Vote for it.

(03-13-2011, 09:46 AM)amczombine Wrote: When Lee's done killing the idea with fire, I intend to vaccum up the ashes out of the air, mix it with some sawdust, add a bit of paste to harden it, then burn it to death again.

After which I will vacuum up the ashes out of the air, mix it with some sawdust, add a bit of paste to harden it, dowse it with some gasoline, then burn it down to the ground again.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

What idea?

* Halogene reads up a bit

oh, there's a third firemode? AH-HAAAH! Now I know why I am getting pwnd all the time. How do you trigger it?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(02-20-2011, 11:28 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: What I think about this idea: KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

This^:
This is a fast paced DM style arena FPS. Not a crappy console FPS. Avoid unlocks like the plague. Xonotic and Nexuiz take lots of content from Quake and Unreal, which eschew unlocks. An unlock system does NOT help a 1v1 heavy quake-like DM game.

That's just my opinion though Tongue. If it's implemented, please make it server optional at the least.

When we throw away weapons can we please make it so they do damage when they hit a player. That would be awesome and the 3rd fire mode!

(03-15-2011, 08:38 AM).Danny. Wrote: When we throw away weapons can we please make it so they do damage when they hit a player. That would be awesome and the 3rd fire mode!

ROFL great idea! Heavier weapons might do more damage even.

Would slow down teamplay a bit though. But still, great idea!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(03-15-2011, 08:38 AM).Danny. Wrote: When we throw away weapons can we please make it so they do damage when they hit a player. That would be awesome and the 3rd fire mode!

This. Maybe tap the drop button to just drop it, or hold it for a second to wind up for a hard throw.

(05-15-2011, 02:37 PM)BeefotronX Wrote:

This. Maybe tap the drop button to just drop it, or hold it for a second to wind up for a hard throw.

I like the way you think. Heart

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Limited weapon slots & customizable spawn weapons MirceaKitsune 38 34,561 09-14-2014, 04:19 AM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] Community Design Workshop: singleplayer weapons tutorial s1lence 4 7,598 07-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] Real Weapons Miguel 27 26,921 11-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Last Post: HellYeah
Star [SUGGESTION] New ammo type for hitscan weapons s1lence 18 19,463 10-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Anti Vehicles Weapons philosphy Majki 10 10,272 04-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Last Post: freefang
  [SUGGESTION] Cut down on the number of weapons poVoq 109 93,742 02-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Last Post: s1lence
  [SUGGESTION] Decrease amount of carryable weapons? Sarge999 38 38,032 11-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Sarge999
  [SUGGESTION] 5 secs respawn for weapons as default lda17h 15 15,824 11-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Weapons function tZork 208 227,747 06-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] Projectiles/weapons fire match player color Lee_Stricklin 6 7,874 06-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Last Post: emrys merlin