Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Glowing chat icon

The chat icon is not enought visible for me. I bonny hop in a map, turn a corner see a player and shoot at him, oops I ear a BZZZZ.
It happen often to me to shoot at a player while this guy is chatting, sorry my friend I did not see your chat sign. Is it possible to make it glowing or make it with a bright color like the green glowing skin. Something more visible that the image on this post.

Attached Files
.jpg   chatbubble.spr_0.jpg (Size: 8.2 KB / Downloads: 137)

I totally agree with you! Those things also happen to me. Maybe it would help even more to make the player translucent or glowing when he/she is typing?
Maybe there could be an extra option when you typefrag someone you lost one scorepoint or something like that. This would be helpfull because it´s very annoying when you see persons who just shoot again on a typing guy/girl and kill them easily.

Shouldn't typefragging just be ignored by the scoring mechanism?
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

I also thought about that Minkovsky but i think there will be players which press the chat button in a fight when they are near death.

That would be lame.

really, typefragging can't be helped. making it reduce your score will NOT help. really, players just need to decide what a good time to talk is. if you try and talk while in the middle of combat, you should expect that you are going to get killed.

the system we have now is so far the best solution i have seen in a game, and simply making the icons a bit more visible would certainly help. although imo it is unnecessary.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I mean: A player know that he will die -> he does not want that the enemy gets the kill -> he press the chat button fast -> he get killed -> lame

This is not a social game, if you typefrag someone by accident its not a big deal. If you dont kill someone who is chatting its good manners not some rule that should be enforced by scoring system or something. People that are butt hurt over being typefragged, should seriously calm down. When i chat i expect to die if i dont want to die i chat only when im dead

Glowy icon, sure i can certainly recognize having shot chatting ppl by mistake since i did not spot the icon in time. But no score penalty, as mention above this encourage abuse far to much. Also "dont frag the chatter" is more of a personal preference then a rule. I try not to, but i dont get worked up abt getting fraged while chatting either.

I agree on making the chat icon more visible.

I disagree on making the typefrags not counting.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

So do I.

More visible chat icon, sure.

Scoring change, absolutely not, we had discussed this multiple times before - way too high abuse potential.

Furthermore, the typehit sound is IMHO already enough "punishment" for accidental typefragging. If someone does it intentionally, kickban is the way to go.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

I thought that symbol was rendered full-bright, and not affected by lightning. Sure, it could be given a nice glow then.

Well I think another problem is actually specifically "hud_shownames" fault -- It covers up the icon most of the time, which already itself is low visibility

Honestly, I think a better solution is to add a function to hud_shownames which displays "typing" text somewhere along with their name... like below it, or such.

(10-19-2011, 10:10 AM)Samual Wrote: Well I think another problem is actually specifically "hud_shownames" fault -- It covers up the icon most of the time, which already itself is low visibility

Honestly, I think a better solution is to add a function to hud_shownames which displays "typing" text somewhere along with their name... like below it, or such.

Don't think that would look as pretty (and some players might not have shownames enabled). Instead, moving the icon just a little higher so it won't interfere with default shownames would be good.

(10-19-2011, 03:00 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote:
(10-19-2011, 10:10 AM)Samual Wrote: Well I think another problem is actually specifically "hud_shownames" fault -- It covers up the icon most of the time, which already itself is low visibility

Don't think that would look as pretty (and some players might not have shownames enabled). Instead, moving the icon just a little higher so it won't interfere with default shownames would be good.

THAT and make it white(or brighter whatever) again since most maps have a rather dark theme!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Chat area improvements acerspyro 1 2,875 07-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Unified icon system to give info about players unfa 18 22,255 11-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Rust Heart
Star [SUGGESTION] P2P Chat rainerzufalldererste 11 12,655 10-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Last Post: rainerzufalldererste
  [SUGGESTION] Optional Voice Chat (No Third Party Software) jngdwe 10 11,053 08-18-2010, 02:56 AM
Last Post: divVerent