Create an account

Poll: Do you care about music in Xonotic?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
85.71%
18 85.71%
No
14.29%
3 14.29%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low interest in music development - why?

Music 
I've been submitting some tunes here and there, and I see almost no feedback about them and no actions from the team.

Is it that you guys are not interested in music development in Xonotic?
Or maybe you just have it off all the time and don't care?

Things seem to have changed - I remember times when I've seen more activity in some threads:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1021
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=173
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Hey unfa. I'll be sure to let the core team know. I agree that there isn't much information out there about music dev, and this really doesn't help community contributors at all...

EDIT: I personally don't know much about it. The last time I discussed this, there was a queue of useable music tracks and no map to use them. Then we passed a vote 60 days ago to have tracklists per map instead of one track per map so that we can add more music, but I don't know what became of that...

(10-14-2013, 01:21 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Then we passed a vote 60 days ago to have tracklists per map instead of one track per map so that we can add more music, but I don't know what became of that...

Oooh neato, hope this gets done in the future.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(10-14-2013, 01:21 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Then we passed a vote 60 days ago to have tracklists per map instead of one track per map so that we can add more music, but I don't know what became of that...
This idea seems good.

Is there any person in the core team responsible for moderating music submissions and leading them into the game via voting etc?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

I think it might be one of those things that is felt to be secondary by some as it is an art asset where can be easily interchanged and does not depend upon the state of the rest of the game. Other art work like textures is integral to map design so has to be tied in with new maps. Music on the other hand you could even at the release candidate stage select which tracks best fitted with which map and drop them in at a late stage with minimal feedback required.

Music is important to me but it can perhaps become higher importance further along the way.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

I turned off the music completely some time ago, listening to the same tracks gets old.

Dumb question: would it be possible (legally and/or in terms of code) to integrate Xonotic with OpenPandora? (IIRC, OpenPandora also have a program for Last.fm so distribution outside the US shouldn't be a problem.. and anyway hackers always find a way Tongue)

I personally use Pandora all the time for gaming. The music in Xonotic is awesome but it does get old after many listens, and there's nothing like having your own personalized music.

I honestly think the reason they don't put much emphasis on music development is due to the reason they must assume that players will turn off music and either not use it at all, or play music using an external source.

However, I think that if good enough music, and a good quantity of it too, is added to the game more casual players or maybe even a few competitive players will leave it on for listening pleasure.

I remember turning on music all the time the map pdance was voted on nexuiz due to the nice music, same can be done with all the default xonotic maps.

The biggest question here is if the music will be kept in a similar style throughout the game (like quake), or depending on the theme of the map (like ut). Making music to a theme is a very hard task. Imo the times I tried it and maybe it's the reason we don't see producers putting much attention to xonotic?
[Image: 12766.png]
Sucks at weapons

Well, there are other things that got a higher priority at the moment (see Samuals serverlist thread for example).

To quote the proposal of the poll (see MrBougos post above) that passed:

Quote:Implement per-map song lists and add all existing acceptable music tracks to the game.. Each map would contain a list of tracks that fit its theme, or if it does not specify any songs it will contain all possible music selections in the list. We'll provide 3 playback modes, including a mode which emulates the old functionality

So don't worry music producers, we are going to add tracks in the future. Also there will be a forums update to change the categories a bit and give Audio stuff it's own deserved section.

More importantly, we'll have to appoint someone to be in charge of music in Xonotic (to sort through submissions, communicate with the producers, and make decisions).

unfa, thx for bringing this to my attention. I'll see what I can do about it.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

(10-15-2013, 12:03 AM)Mirio Wrote: So don't worry music producers, we are going to add tracks in the future. Also there will be a forums update to change the categories a bit and give Audio stuff it's own deserved section.
Good news! I'm looking forward to see a audio section in the forums, and the submissions taken into consideration. Also: could there be a xonotic.org based music submission system making submissions actually stored on xonotic.org server, so they don't get lost when some hosting service delete the files before admins copy them etc? For example I've cleaned up a server I used removing some old tracks linked to in the forums.

(10-15-2013, 01:27 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: More importantly, we'll have to appoint someone to be in charge of music in Xonotic (to sort through submissions, communicate with the producers, and make decisions).
Oh yes! I think such a person is really needed.

(10-15-2013, 02:17 AM)CuBe0wL Wrote: unfa, thx for bringing this to my attention. I'll see what I can do about it.
At your service! I'm sharing my concerns as a musician, who'd like to add to the game, but found himself kind of lonely in this task.

Thank you all for stopping by - I could offer some of my time to push forwards tasks regarding moderating music submissions or unifying it, some processing etc...

I'd also like to bring up a topic in whitch I offered to master music for Xonotic 1.0 release.

and what has happend from this?

has any tunes come into the game from this point?

t

:^
[Image: 227.png]

I haven't seen any new tunes accepted, but I might have missed that.

Actually, I was invited to become a part of Xonotic team regarding music.
However that was months ago (if not years...) and I don't quite know what to do with this previllage Smile

I'd say I would appreciate some further guidance, so I can actually do something useful, I feel like I was given a wrench, but I don't know where the pipes are, so still can't do the plumbing. Should I hang out on the IRC for this?

It is so dissapointing to see development being handled so... carelessly in Xonotic. "Yes you can be a music coordinator, but can you please not bother?" - this is the impression I get about your case.

I think, unfa, you should demand the right to do whatever with music in Xonotic, overwise this will not go anywhere.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(06-07-2014, 03:12 PM)aa Wrote: It is so dissapointing to see development being handled so... carelessly in Xonotic. "Yes you can be a music coordinator, but can you please not bother?" - this is the impression I get about your case.

I think, unfa, you should demand the right to do whatever with music in Xonotic, overwise this will not go anywhere.

I wouldn't be so harsh on others, I think it's my fault, I didn't ask and I was absent for a long period of time right after that happened. But yeah, I'd actually like to get things rolling Smile

Stay in the team channel for a start. Tongue

Edit: These have been added to the game in Dezember 2013:

cdtrack 15 also-t
cdtrack 16 heavymetal
cdtrack 17 inner-peace
cdtrack 18 the-laws-of-physics
cdtrack 19 variable

(06-07-2014, 07:29 PM)Mirio Wrote: Stay in the team channel for a start. Tongue

I tried multiple times, I can never get this to work well. I either have to connect to the team channel manually every time, or I can't use IRC at all. Maybe you could recommend me some IRC clients, Mirio? Smile

(06-07-2014, 07:29 PM)Mirio Wrote: Edit: These have been added to the game in Dezember 2013:

cdtrack 15 also-t
cdtrack 16 heavymetal
cdtrack 17 inner-peace
cdtrack 18 the-laws-of-physics
cdtrack 19 variable

I like these tracks a lot!

Irssi, Xchat, Hexchat (if you are on windows), Weechat, Kiwy (web client) or just use the link on the homepage Tongue

Using XChat and it's easy to join Freenode and QuakeNet at the same time.

I second this, please join irc. Since you're part of the extended team, you have the right to vote on team polls.

And we need someone to push for progress in the sound department Smile

Okay, something's gotta work Big Grin
I'll wrap my head around this ASA I have some free time.

Joing a public channel is not a problem, but I coudn't figure out how to make XChat auto-connect to the protected channel after authorizing on the server (joining before doing /msg Nickserv identify won't work).

I think I'm gonna try irssi. I don't have time now to dig deeper, but it seems promising. If I could get it autostart and autojoin runing in my fullscreen terminal under linux (Ctrl+Alt+F1) I'd be awesomer than awesome.

On freenode, you can login using SASL. This makes you authenticate at the same time as you connect to the server, which means that you're authenticated from the start. There are guides on how to set this up (it's really simple) for several clients here: https://www.freenode.net/sasl/

Otherwise, in xchat, you can follow this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/6332/prev...henticated

As for XChat, go to Edit and put your password in the field "NickServ-Password".
(I actually have it in "Server-Password" as well but can't remember why. Big Grin)

[Image: LmZgxzR.jpg]

You have got some strange xchat...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MUSIC THREAD FOR ALL MUSIC kay 590 675,256 11-11-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: chooksta
  An attempt to produce a background music - decadium derrant 2 2,192 09-12-2020, 11:18 AM
Last Post: derrant
Music Music from out side forum Kotangens 4 2,805 08-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [NEED HELP] Xonotic music has Royalty? Narutex216Bits 1 2,383 04-07-2020, 07:48 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
  Xonotic OST (Officially Accepted Music) Mirio 18 33,148 07-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Last Post: martin-t
  Free sfx for your music. djwayn 1 5,106 05-25-2018, 01:06 PM
Last Post: djwayn
Music Go Get 'em - Music Track by The Audio Monkey TheAudioMonkey 16 15,606 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Last Post: TheAudioMonkey
  I would like to use Xonotic's music in my Red Eclipse fork 98digger 3 5,716 08-23-2015, 11:49 PM
Last Post: machine!
  Orchestral music for Xonotic BuddyFriendGuy 9 13,972 07-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  a better way to submit music for Xonotic? BuddyFriendGuy 0 3,254 06-19-2015, 12:03 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy