Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Buggy textures in need of fixing!

Exclamation 
Today, divVerent announced removing several textures from the ex2x package due to having unfinished or incorrect heightmaps / normal maps. They were good textures, and the only way they'll get added back in is if someone finishes the heightmaps for them.

I'm not good with texturing and actually tried this, but couldn't figure out how to get them done. So I'm posting them here for anyone to look at and try fixing. I find these textures very good, and imo it would be a shame and waste if they had to go (it's about 6 of them that need fixing). Some of my maps already use them too, and I don't think I can find something as good in their place. So please... if you have experience in texturing, try fixing what is needed so they can be added again!

The archive with the buggy textures can be found here:

- http://rm.endoftheinternet.org/~xonotic/...xtures.zip (this link will disappear soon).

- http://www.mediafire.com/?j34v567lv554gi5

- http://upload.ps/hptdu603ihsv/ex2x-buggy...es.zip.htm

Div's request was to make correct heightmaps for them, following the example of other textures (such as trak5x). He also posted an example image of how a texture and its height-map should look like:

[Image: 617a785fef04682e12f9d2b66916c494.jpg] [Image: 0687de3c9fe25e56d7951661f45ba80f.jpg]

Note that your maps can still use copied-out versions of these textures in map_<mapname>, but the proper way to solve this is indeed fixing these.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

*bump!* Don't wanna bump old threads, but is there no one at all who could take a look at these please? They are very good textures like I said, and I'm sure they'd have a good use if someone could just fix their height maps is all. Please... anyone? Smile

Unfortunately i'm unable to do it MirceaKitsune, else I definitely would.... Really am not good enough at texturing for that. sorry.

but, come on people, I agree these are good textures and should be fixed: Is there ANYONE out there capable of texturing that would give it a shot?

*bumps, bumps, and bumps again* Still no one that can fix them at all?

we suddenly seem to lack anyone who can do this sort of thing. I am having the same problem getting the phillipk textures working.

I would give it time though. lots of people have said that they are suffering from a sever lack of time. I imagine that come summer, more people will have time to work on stuff.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

Didn't think of that. Summer is when all long vacations are, so maybe this can revive some of the busy devs.

*sigh* if only people could have Open Source projects like Xonotic as their real job Rolleyes

Well, summer is here by now. I doubt anyone will take a look at these, still. But here is another bump thread...

I'll try some, but this will be just stuff done with Gimp's normalmap plugin. Nevertheless, I guess/hope it'll be somewhat helpful.

Update: Floors done, unfortunately no bump maps.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Thank you very much! Hope it all goes well Smile

Do you still need help? I also can write shaders for it, if they are needed.

(07-05-2011, 02:01 AM)Maddin Wrote: Do you still need help? I also can write shaders for it, if they are needed.

its mostly about the incorrect heightmaps / normal maps. Just give it a try help is always needed.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I noticed that a lot of the textures don´t have a size of a power of two. Shall I resize them?

No! Smile
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Normal maps fixed, but may bug out with reliefmapping (they're untested). Oh well.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xlqfjqnhdqioe8s
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Hmm... you should invert the normalmaps! They are wrong, blue/cyan should be the bright areas and magenta/purple the dark areas. And the heightmap (which you used to make the normalmap) would also be helpful.

(07-07-2011, 02:06 PM)Maddin Wrote: Hmm... you should invert the normalmaps! They are wrong, blue/cyan should be the bright areas and magenta/purple the dark areas. And the heightmap (which you used to make the normalmap) would also be helpful.

Umm... I'm pretty sure this works well with other textures. Also, there were NO heightmaps in the package, just the bugged-out normals and diffuse textures, so I ran those through gimp's normalmap plugin.

It looks better when you are first making the heightmap and then create a normalmap from the heightmap. Look at the other textures (e.g. exx) and you will see it. There you can also see what I told you about the normalmap, that blue is for bright areas and red for dark ones.

Thank you for fixing the norm maps! Smile

As for resizing to a power of 2, yes. divVerent specifically asked that as one requirement. Don't side them down however, I'd say. Size them up if anything, unless sizing down is only a few pixels.

(07-07-2011, 02:43 PM)Maddin Wrote: It looks better when you are first making the heightmap and then create a normalmap from the heightmap.

Haha, so I'm not the only one that does that. Tongue It's a pretty neat trick hm?

Do you guys still need assistance with this?
Yeah.

NOPE:

Its always better to model the mesh and render out normal maps/heightmaps.
[Image: foxtrotcproggry.jpg]

well in this case is wasn't possible - there were no source mesh files.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello guys! I need Xonotic Debian repository, not snap SerW 4 748 11-11-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: cushinga
Exclamation [SOLVED] Fixing the WIKI nilyt 9 8,578 01-23-2015, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  bot navigation bug needs fixing zwz 0 2,623 09-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Last Post: zwz
  ex textures and gpl ...... the post that will probably make everyone hate me .... hutty 16 15,061 11-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  netradiant textures not loading tangerian 1 4,003 06-05-2012, 01:34 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot
  Fixing spammy weapon combos FruitieX 15 17,219 05-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Last Post: FruitieX
  We need more alien and robot player models! MirceaKitsune 25 27,002 11-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  We need more difference in map themes! MirceaKitsune 35 38,896 08-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Last Post: forseti
  Sampling Geometry for Textures master[mind] 1 3,630 07-05-2011, 05:55 AM
Last Post: unfa
  Chat / taunt HUD portraits (need help from other coders!) MirceaKitsune 12 16,546 03-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin