Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
open source games you play?

(06-14-2012, 11:54 AM)DW_ Wrote: Surprised nobody (at least, I assume nobody) has mentioned StepMania yet.
Funny you mention that, I quite enjoy DDR keyboard warrior-style games.

However, I find StepMania to be something of an overkill and I've always been rather poor at them anyway, but they help a LOT with fast-paced shooters like Xonotic.

I rather prefer ThirdStyle, which is web-based and takes all the myriads of options out of StepMania. Yeah, sure, it's not open source by any measure, but it comes with hundreds of songs as soon as you sign up. Hundreds, literally, and at all levels. Takes the hassle out of both setting up a game, StepMania's confusing menus and having to download songs. I like open source and use/play open source software when I can, but StepMania is just... too much. Not to mention having to set everything up.

I'm starting to question the point of this thread. As a long time GNU/Linux user, over time, I have played nearly all games that are in the distros repositories. It would make a long list just to mention them all, even if I could remember all the titles.

BTW: Stepmania is cool (I even bought 2 dancepads for it), but it requires space in the room to play it. It's also a fun party game, even though not many ppl want to play it.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(06-14-2012, 11:48 PM)Cyber Killer Wrote: I'm starting to question the point of this thread. As a long time GNU/Linux user, over time, I have played nearly all games that are in the distros repositories. It would make a long list just to mention them all, even if I could remember all the titles.

BTW: Stepmania is cool (I even bought 2 dancepads for it), but it requires space in the room to play it. It's also a fun party game, even though not many ppl want to play it.

Have you played Kolf? I love Kolf.

Yup, played Kolf, I even finished all the courses once in 1 sitting :-). But as far minigolf goes I think Neverputt is more fun than Kolf.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(06-14-2012, 11:48 PM)Cyber Killer Wrote: BTW: Stepmania is cool (I even bought 2 dancepads for it), but it requires space in the room to play it. It's also a fun party game, even though not many ppl want to play it.

Actually I play with the arrow keys. Tongue

Also, Frets on Fire X for epic GH/RB clone 2012.
(06-14-2012, 11:13 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: EDIT: also, defining λ_water as V_nail / V_water, you infer that there is water everywhere. You just drowned. Dead people don't make invalid arguments, therefore you lose.

[ FA | YouTube ]

(And yes, if the Fur Affinity link hasn't already given it away, I'm a furry.)

While we're at music games, Vocaluxe, continuation of Ultrastar Deluxe

Also played this, but game changed very little for past 7 years I played, quite unlike Xonotic.

(06-15-2012, 05:18 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: Yup, played Kolf, I even finished all the courses once in 1 sitting :-). But as far minigolf goes I think Neverputt is more fun than Kolf.

Have you played Robot Finds Kitten? One of my favourite opensource games.

EDIT: And psdoom?

Robot Finds Kitten is among the few games (from Debian repo) that I didn't play, I remember I tried but had some kind of problem with running it and stopped trying.

I haven't heard about psdoom before, sounds fun, killing processes with a shotgun ;-D

DW_ Wrote:Actually I play (Stepmania) with the arrow keys.

The arrows are hard to use on advanced tracks imho. If you want to play on the keyboard I suggest that you map a row of 4 keys and play on them (e.g. asdf), I found that it helps a lot.

http://lunduke.com/?page_id=2646

Linux Tycoon
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(06-15-2012, 07:11 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: Robot Finds Kitten is among the few games (from Debian repo) that I didn't play, I remember I tried but had some kind of problem with running it and stopped trying.

I haven't heard about psdoom before, sounds fun, killing processes with a shotgun ;-D

DW_ Wrote:Actually I play (Stepmania) with the arrow keys.

The arrows are hard to use on advanced tracks imho. If you want to play on the keyboard I suggest that you map a row of 4 keys and play on them (e.g. asdf), I found that it helps a lot.

You can play robot finds kitten in flash here: http://www.robotfindskitten.net/

I don't have flash installed on my systems. The web is so much better (and faster) without it ;-).

... I like kolf too (yes its better than neverput)

(06-15-2012, 03:16 PM)hutty Wrote: ... I like kolf too (yes its better than neverput)

Because it starts with "k", right? ;P

Oh, I seem to have forgotten one:
  • Zaz, which is a recursive acronym for Zaz Ain't Zuma. That's true, as a key gameplay mechanic is different. Nevertheless, this is one of the most-played puzzle games on my system and is very fun to play, much like Zuma. It's not as visually appealing, but the core gameplay is still crazy fun. Unlike in Zuma, in this one you pull balls out of the queue and put them back in.[/*]
Also, Neverputt > Kolf. Most KDE games kind of suck though, except the solitaire and Mahjongg programs.

Also, IceBreaker is the most fun 1MB game of all time, look for it in the repositories if you're a Linux user or get it from PortableApps.com on Windows (runs off of the flash drive)!

Oh yeah, and Sopwith rules. May be 30 years old. But is awesome. I've probably spent two or three hours playing it overall. It was totally worth it.

Zaz is nice, only that it's hard, as in almost nintendo hard.

As for KDE Gamnes - I really like Palapeli (jigsaw puzzle), KPatience, KNetwalk, KSudoku, KBlackBox, mahjong, shisensho, kbounce, kmine and katomic... so most of them ;-).

Other casual Linux game I enjoy include Solar Wolf, which is something between asteroids and pacman,

nah not because its kde ... i liked kolf for a long time ...

oh I forgot one to ... enigma ...

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Warsow

I play some Warsow time to time :-)

*Question*
By "open-source" do you mean GPL licensed games or just games who is open-source in general, cause if it's just in general I also want to add Quake Live, its engine is open-source? :-)

EDIT: forgot the ? xD

[Image: unvanquished.png]

The Quake Live engine is not open source.

Which engine does QL run on? ID Tech 3?

(07-07-2012, 04:20 AM)machine! Wrote: Which engine does QL run on? ID Tech 3?

Yeah, it's just dolled up with all the Web-interface goodness, so it's most definetly not a 1:1 match to the IDT3 code released

I don't think the web based server browser have much to do with the game engine itself...

wikipedia Wrote:At QuakeCon 2005, John Carmack announced that the Quake III source code would be released under the GNU General Public License (version 2), and it was released on August 19, 2005. The code can be downloaded from id's FTP site.

So you really want to tell me that quake live = quake 3? At least Graphics are different, netcode is different and input code is different too.

No, just wanted to tell that QL is running on an open source game engine with some modifications. Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cool indie games thread asyyy 15 12,527 01-01-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Julian758
  New open source game: AAAAXY divVerent 9 3,965 12-25-2022, 08:38 AM
Last Post: takemat
Information [NEED HELP] MA on open-source game development Jules 0 2,423 09-26-2020, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Jules
  Treadmill Xonotic. Play, fall, ouch. Zistigingus 0 2,563 10-17-2019, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Zistigingus
  Is Open Source Multiplayer FPS as a whole dying? Danfun64 9 9,931 01-13-2018, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  RA jumps on Aerowalk (in 24 different games) Smilecythe 31 22,949 12-26-2016, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Quake 2 Railwarz instaGib CTF!!! Games 7 nights a week! bind key +hook for lazer hook MajorLazer 7 11,449 09-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Last Post: MajorLazer
  Games over. thimo 18 16,319 08-23-2016, 08:36 AM
Last Post: PayTheBill
  Fragmovies from other games- thread Smilecythe 25 24,759 04-23-2016, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Matuka
  8 Craziest Guns In Video Games zeroql 5 5,800 12-10-2015, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe