Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Scaling the map

I can't scale my map down using compilation settings. I tried -scale 0.8 mapname.bsp but it doesn't work. Does anyone know how to do it?

Copy your compiled map (bsp file) into the directory of q3map2 and type this into a console/terminal/shell:

Winblows:
Code:
q3map2 -scale 0.9 yourmap.bsp

Linux 32bit:
Code:
./q3map2.x86 -scale 0.9 yourmap.bsp

Beware of strange lighting artifacts when scaling maps. Sometimes you end up having to relight after scaling and at other times it still gives things that are broken.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Obviously you have to copy the lightmaps and such things to the scaled version too... I should have mentioned. Wink

Some funny screenshots for you guys (I know how to scale now!):
HOW IT WAS:(try to find the items on these screenshots)
[Image: xonotic20120830231747-00.jpg] [Image: xonotic20120830231836-00.jpg]
[Image: xonotic20120830231853-00.jpg]
HOW IT IS NOW (Fisume is currently testing this version)

[Image: xonotic20120830232100-00.jpg] [Image: xonotic20120830232143-00.jpg]
[Image: xonotic20120830232155-00.jpg] - crouch there!
As you can see: I scaled down my map as requested. Wink

(-scale 4 and -scale 0.35)
As far as I understand its up to one command to make a vehicle map Tongue

That last screenshot is awesome Big Grin

wonna see those from -scale 40 ? Big Grin
It took me like half an hour to pass one half of the map.

Now that's a MEGA-health ;-D

As for large scale - there was a map for UT called the Hall of Giants, it was huge, but it was fun to play (and it had means of fast transport).
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Yeah this key is funny indeed... Big Grin

(08-30-2012, 05:09 PM)Justin Wrote: wonna see those from -scale 40 ? Big Grin
It took me like half an hour to pass one half of the map.

i would honestly like to see that.

GIANTS DOORSadand health bouble)
[Image: xonotic20120903105351-00.jpg] [Image: xonotic20120903105357-00.jpg]
LAVA SEA: (and TINY HEALTH):
[Image: xonotic20120903105738-00.jpg] [Image: xonotic20120903105310-00.jpg]

PS: Because of this scaling I don't 'feel' my map's size anymore. Big Grin I also feel akward while playing normal sized maps...

Justin, release a massive version just for lulz! Big Grin

Please don't. Next thing you know, every server has it because it's "fun", even though it's just boring.

Spoilsport. Justin send me a pm with a d/l link! Big Grin

Fine... I'll do it myself! Big Grin

I still think it would be nice to have some of such huge open area maps in the game (but without nex or sniper)
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Both of you: Believe me: It's a bad idea. There is no use scaling maps like that and also making extremly huge levels. They just don't play good. Rocknroll237: You can scale it by yourself (in the pk3 file I always add .map file). Just unpack the pk3 into your Xonotic/data/maps, then open the map in Radiant and customize build:

[q3map2] -scale 40 "[MapFile]" \\THIS ONE scales the map 40 times bigger

build it and you will get map_name_s.bsp

Then you simply launch it and have fun!

BTW: Mr. Bongo is right... as always.

Ehm, you have to compile the bsp, not the map!

I didn't mean to have maps made huge by scaling. Just maps that are designed from the beginning to be large with open areas.

Maddin: I sometimes have the feeling that you say too much Big Grin. Hasn't anyone ever told you that? Wink He has to compile the bsp yes, but first he has to have .bsp file in his data/maps, right?

Sorry, what did I wrong? Undecided I also don´t get your last comment.

Sorry. I did not mean to offend you. I was just saying that repetetively correcting me drives me crazy (last time I am beeing repetetivly corrected during my driving lessons - but I haven't killed any pedestrians yet, don't worry), but on a second thought I think I should be greatefull. thanks!

[slightlyofftopic]
I wasn´t offended at all but anyway I´m happy to get such a nice reaction from you. Smile Keep cool, just think of the sign of my current avatar when I´m too correctly... Wink

For those who don´t know what it means: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om
[/slightlyofftopic]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Change mapinfo to make a CTF map a CTS map. Bhagwa-Yodhak-69 3 2,306 09-08-2020, 06:03 AM
Last Post: _para
  [NEEDS INFO] cant download map, black map area jaybates86 5 6,883 10-08-2013, 06:09 AM
Last Post: Halogene