Create an account

Poll: What are your favorite tracks from unfa's "Static" album?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Intro
0%
0 0%
Eternal Message
0%
0 0%
Beepson Junior
20.00%
1 20.00%
Cumulus
20.00%
1 20.00%
Ready to Go
0%
0 0%
I Gotta Tell You Something
0%
0 0%
Spoken
20.00%
1 20.00%
Frustration
0%
0 0%
Memory
20.00%
1 20.00%
Metanoia
0%
0 0%
Not The End
20.00%
1 20.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
unfa's new album is out!

Music 
Hey!

If you like my music, I've got something for you! I've been working on this album for more than a year now, and a few days ago it has finally been released. I've played a premiere gig and even eared some money by selling CDs Big Grin

Now, enjoy my passion, love, tears and sweat (maybe forget the last two):

[Image: 1.400.jpg]

I've been so busy resting after the hard work and the concert, that I forgot to spread the news all around Smile
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Just listening to a few bits and bobs, it sounds great!

Just out of interest, how do you go about marketing it, which software do you use and where was your gig?

"A lot of different music styles in here, and I'm proud if the sound - it's 100% digital synthesis, so samples - I've created every single sound on this album out of nothing."

It should say no samples

(12-01-2013, 06:12 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: It should say no samples
Wow, thanks for pointing this one out. Nasty typo!

The gig took place in Warsaw, Poland, my hometown. It was a small local show.

Marketing? Hard to explain - we do what we can. There was an interview on YouTube, some podcasts playing a single "Beepson Junior" before the show, a Facebook Profile making some buzz, CDs availabile after the gig and such. I'm trying to contact more people around the world to help me spread it, some say it could get big worldwide, so I'm trying to reach out.
Next target are local radiostations and electronic music festivals. More small gigs around Warsaw too I guess.

Software? Let me drop in the back cover:

I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Wow! Though being not very attracted to electronic music in general, I'm surprised to admit that I myself actually kind of like some of these tracks and find all of them qualitatively quite well composed/arranged. I'd consider positively impressing me in a musical genre that I don't much like a job very well done! Congratulations!

"Ready to go" suits really well to playing Xonotic CTS :o)
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Thanks, Halogene Smile That's what my mom said Tongue

(12-02-2013, 07:45 AM)Halogene Wrote: "Ready to go" suits really well to playing Xonotic CTS :o)
Hmm, maybe I should propose it as a soundtrack candidate? Big Grin
This could work, maybe making a loopable version with less vocals?

Very well done unfa! You are evolving! Big Grin

(12-02-2013, 08:54 AM)unfa Wrote:
(12-02-2013, 07:45 AM)Halogene Wrote: "Ready to go" suits really well to playing Xonotic CTS :o)
Yes, some of them might actually work pretty well. Especially "9. Memory" is a good candidate, of course without vocals. Wink

Generally I have some critique on your music though: It´s missing some kind of "punch"/sub-bass. At the moment your tracks sound a bit plane and without big "volume"/"space". It´s hard to explain, maybe you got it already from my description...

(12-02-2013, 09:54 AM)Maddin Wrote: Very well done unfa! You are evolving! Big Grin

(12-02-2013, 08:54 AM)unfa Wrote:
Yes, some of them might actually work pretty well. Especially "9. Memory" is a good candidate, of course without vocals. Wink
Nice! That's no problem too, I even have an instrumental version for live performance of this one.

(12-02-2013, 09:54 AM)Maddin Wrote: Generally I have some critique on your music though: It´s missing some kind of "punch"/sub-bass. At the moment your tracks sound a bit plane and without big "volume"/"space". It´s hard to explain, maybe you got it already from my description...

Balancing the basses is a hard task, as they also tend to sound very different in different rooms and spatial configurations. I thought better to slightly underdo it, than overdo. Most customer playback systems have an option to add bass, but no option to remove it. Also - if you turn it up, the bass will sound louder - we have different loudness sensitivity for bases than for medium range frequencies.
I already think this music is rather bass-heavy and we aimed to optimize this for loud listening with speakers.

But maybe it's not exaclty what you meant?

Partially. I didn´t meant the loudness of the bass but rather the frequency of it. I have the impression that the frequency response of your goes down to about 60Hz whereas "most" electronic music goes down to about 30-40Hz (or even 20Hz in rare cases). Maybe you can produce a dynamic diagram of the requency response of an example track?

There´s also another thing which I noticed: The sounds (not the vocals though) don´t seem to release properly. That´s what I meant with them not having any "volume", better say depth.

(12-02-2013, 10:59 AM)Maddin Wrote: Partially. I didn´t meant the loudness of the bass but rather the frequency of it. I have the impression that the frequency response of your goes down to about 60Hz whereas "most" electronic music goes down to about 30-40Hz (or even 20Hz in rare cases). Maybe you can produce a dynamic diagram of the requency response of an example track?

There´s also another thing which I noticed: The sounds (not the vocals though) don´t seem to release properly. That´s what I meant with them not having any "volume", better say depth.

I've filtered out stuff above 40 Hz and I still got a lot of bass in "Not The End" for example.

The "release" thing might be an artifact of dynamic compression, or - a desired effect of compression. Or maybe the lack of a heavy reberb. IDK, I'm not sure what you mean Big Grin

Well. Changing things back and forth could never end if we haven't got deadlines.
All in all - what matters is if the recording moves you. Is it pleasing to listen to? No one's perfect and what sounds cool to one, sounds crappy to another one.

Good album, unfa. Nice to listen to. I am not a big fan of electrical music either, but i seem to like it. Good luck with it!
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Not bad although not a fan of glitchy em styles but I do love EM since the first time I heard Marrs Pump Up The Volume.

Fav is #2 and I'd like to hear it with female vocals that might sound interesting. Will have to re listen on better speakers when I get home.

Your style reminds me of Mr Bungle Tongue Don't know why just MR Bungle/Faith No More jumped into my head when I listened to it.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

After listening to it for a few days, I absolutely love it! Great album unfa! All tracks in it are exceptionally good, especially Memory, which is fun, Not The End which is extremely catchy and Cumulus, which is my favorite.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

end user: You're right - Mr Bungle is inspiring me a lot musically Smile

aa: Thank you Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I try out PeerTube (alternative to YouTube) Antares* 3 29,184 05-23-2018, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Made a Quake Champions frag video check it out zeroql 4 4,824 08-31-2017, 09:06 PM
Last Post: SilenceKiller
Music unfa's new album: "See Ya" [dnb, drumstep...] unfa 1 3,446 01-27-2016, 10:43 AM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m
  Watch out for this guy Beagle 5 5,226 11-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  Professor Kliq just released a new album! Antibody 5 5,627 10-13-2015, 04:34 AM
Last Post: Finko
  My new album is out: Drum & Bass Payload unfa 4 6,243 02-07-2015, 08:09 AM
Last Post: unfa
Music unfa's Dubstep Cover of Team Fortress 2 Main Theme unfa 0 4,518 12-30-2014, 05:31 PM
  unfa having fun with rapping: "Mr. Brass" unfa 0 4,806 12-17-2014, 03:24 PM
  Sinister: Just getting the word out. anark10n 4 4,929 02-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Last Post: cvcxc
Video unfa goin' crazy: "Split Scat" (a really short music video) unfa 3 6,997 11-02-2013, 11:41 AM