Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your 2010 Game of the Year

2010 in my opinion wasn't all that great in terms of gaming and isn't nearly as good as what 2011 holds in store (it's going to be 1998 II possibly), but we had a few titles just absolutely stand out. With that said, what was the best 2010 release you've played? Mine is Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver with Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 3, and Battlefield: Bad Company being runner ups. That indie game Steel Storm that div talked about in another thread is an honorable mention. StarCraft II was good too, though in my opinion not game of the year material. I still need to play Darksders and Metro 2033 (got this on my Steam account actually) though, it'd be hard for them to top the amount of fun I had with Heart Gold. btw, with the way things are looking, it wouldn't surprise me if Xonotic became the best multiplayer game released this year. Commercial or otherwise. That's saying a lot.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Well for 2010 i would say Mass Effect 2 or Battlefield Bad Company 2 (both on the PC).

Mass Effect 2 - I can't remember a game that immersed me so much in a singleplayer point of view (not even Bioshock was this fun for me).
It has great graphics, great gameplay, deep storyline, several alternatives on how to play it and even though i am mostly a multiplayer kind of gamer, i played and i still play Mass Effect 2 on a regular basis. An almost perfect game (from my point of view Wink).

Bad Company 2 - What can i say? An addictive multiplayer, very populated servers and rank progression Tongue And even though i still prefer games like UT, Quake and ofc Xonotic Tongue, Bad Company 2 certainly ranks high on my gaming list xD.

One thing where i disagree with a lot of people is Starcraft II... It is a very good game sure but IMO it is not Game of the Year material xP

Cheers all

Played the bloodline champions beta almost the whole year and enjoyed the competition there.Game had a lot of potential with big sponsors like razer and steelseries hosting tournaments.Sad that funcom became the publisher and ruined it for me with their free 2 play cash shop shit.

call of duty: black ops is good but the modern warfare 2 is really good.
[Image: vNzdsZw]

(01-02-2011, 07:29 AM)Hellgardia Wrote: Mass Effect 2 - I can't remember a game that immersed me so much in a singleplayer point of view (not even Bioshock was this fun for me).
It has great graphics, great gameplay, deep storyline, several alternatives on how to play it and even though i am mostly a multiplayer kind of gamer, i played and i still play Mass Effect 2 on a regular basis. An almost perfect game (from my point of view Wink).

i highly disagree with you. Mass Effect 2 was one of worst AAA titles this year. The only thing it got in common with other bioware rpgs is the deep storyline, but the storyline also got some weak spots, because your are always forced to a main quest mission.
There are also no real rpg elements in this game, which make like a 3rd person shooter. The classes dont have any real influence. Your party contains many useless members, because there are always 2 guys with the same abilities. All in all its just a action game with a strong story and not a rpg.

In my opinion 2010 got generally not many good AAA titles. The only one would recommend is Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.
There where many good indie games releases last year, like Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Super Meat Boy or the Ball.

From the free indie games of last year i would recommend:
The journey down: http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=41648.0
Hazard: The Journey Of Life: http://www.indiepubgames.com/game/Hazard...ey_Of_Life
10 Second War: http://www.indiedb.com/games/10-second-war
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I know it wasn't released this year, but: Team Fortress 2. Big GrinDDDD
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Prolly Goldeneye 007 for Wii.

(But you all know the real winner is Xonotic Wink)

(01-02-2011, 09:18 AM)Mirio Wrote: (But you all know the real winner is Xonotic Wink)

Wasn't really a 2010 game because the only public release was an alpha and not a full-blown release. I anticipate one hell of a multiplayer game for 2011 though, can't really expect the yearly release of generic shootan gaem 720 (Call of Duty) to really put up much of a fight against it. Might actually be the best multiplayer FPS of 2011 if things keep going the way they are, it already beats the hell out of all of the Quakes and will put up quite a fight against UT99 (STILL the best online FPS 11 years later) when some maps get added to it, probably even top that. I compared Nexuiz 2.4.2 directly to UT99 and only technical issues which no longer exist (outside of barely noticeable animation problems, well barely noticeable if the balance is set fast enough) were what held it back.

Oh wait.

(01-02-2011, 08:53 AM)... Wrote: call of duty: black ops is good but the modern warfare 2 is really good.
MW > MW2 > BO

I enjoyed Bejeweled 3 the most. Cool
Monster Hunter Tri and Super Mario Galaxy 2 ate lots of my time too.

2010 was great for movies, but not games really. But if I had to pick my favorites for the year... Personally I think it's a tie between Red Dead Redemption (really a fantastic game, and I hate GTA) and BFBC2. A very close runner up is Minecraft (another fantastic game, but gets boring over time easily and this is why it isn't best) in my opinion.

Very much so looking forward to 2011 though, especially with games like Crysis 2 and Portal 2 in the mix. TBH i'm also looking forward to commercial Nexuiz and to see if they can revive the arena FPS and bring it into the realm of consoles effectively. But of course the game i'm looking forward to mostly is Xonotic. I predict we can have a mostly finished and polished product at least close to done (art work such as weapon models and maps will probably take longer) by mid 2011, and maybe a 1.0 release by Christmas time? Big Grin -- That should be enough time to accomplish most of our goals.

BTW, I helped with working on steel storm a little as well -- But I personally am not into that kind of game very much, mainly because it gives me a headache with that kind of view. However I do have to say it really is a good looking and playing game, it's just not my cup of tea Big Grin

Also: Call of Duty is getting old, it's your generic shooter remade every year to be even more generic. I think it will never claim a place on "best game of the year" ever again unless it drastically changes. (In the least, it doesn't deserve it.)

Quote:MW > MW2 > BO

Modern Warfare 2 better than Black Ops? Good joke.

B2T: Definitely Mass Effect 2! Didn't play such a great game for ages.

Modern Warfare was definitely the best game of the call of duty row Wink

Global Agenda: MMO TPS = Epic Win

Minecraft: Notch = Epic Epic Win

(01-03-2011, 01:07 PM)Fisume Wrote:

There's no groundbreaking changes in BO, and MW2 kinda came earlier.

(01-04-2011, 02:27 AM)Paake Wrote:

well mw2 has better maps then bo
[Image: vNzdsZw]

Quote:Personally I think it's a tie between Red Dead Redemption (really a fantastic game, and I hate GTA) and BFBC2.
I played Red Dead Redemption on a PS3 last saturday, for about ten minutes. It was fun until I fell down a bridge and killed my poor horse :-(
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

(01-04-2011, 05:22 AM)... Wrote:
(01-04-2011, 02:27 AM)Paake Wrote:

well mw2 has better maps then bo

I'm STILL boycotting Modern Warfare 2. I also dodged Black Ops seeing as it just looks like the latest entry in the Generic Shootan Game series. Call of Duty really seems to have gone downhill since the original Modern Warfare, kinda like how Final Fantasy started going downhill after Tactics.

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IPS 144 Hz is great (if your PC can handle it) Lyberta 3 4,897 11-21-2017, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Kirklin
  Show your connection speeds! kojn^ 58 41,616 09-12-2017, 02:19 AM
Last Post: vega
  Happy New Year! kuniu the frogg 6 5,581 12-31-2016, 11:07 PM
Last Post: jngm
  Happy New Year -maniac|Su- 5 4,887 01-02-2016, 02:31 PM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m
  Happy New Year 2015!!! aa 11 12,247 01-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  What's your rig (gaming machine) like? c00L 8 15,175 10-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Halogene
  Your 2013 game of the year Lee_Stricklin 8 10,389 04-11-2014, 04:56 AM