Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Exploring Ubuntu 12.04

heh....

1 I agree with most of the bad things you are saying about ubuntu ... I did try opne suse ... but I found it to be even worse (and it has issues with netradiant)

now im using mint ... its a little better ... but not much (and the green theme in kde is ugly)

2 i LIKE win ME ... but I also havn't touched it in years ... so that may just be what I remember of my frolicking with mspaint ...

(04-23-2012, 09:36 AM)Halogene Wrote: Notice how quiet Samual is now since "it started working" - he probably has no access to the forums anymore right now.
Nope, it's 10 fucking AM and I was sleeping at the time. Remember, i'm American.

anyway, KDE sucks -- I installed gnome-shell and have been using the "classical" gnome 2 interface (with gnome-panel), that works decently well....

I'm still seeing random "system program problem" errors with no descriptions though, that's quite annoying... no idea why those happen either.

Still don't really have time to set all my shit up though, so for now i'm stuck just using the bare minimum (i.e. no good IRC client, no development environment, no games, etc)-- We'll see how this works out over the course of the week.

Right now I'm currently using 10.04 with pulseaudio gutted (and replaced with dummy packages). I'd say Ubuntu has really gone down hill since 7.10 which is the version that made me switch from having Windows as my primary operating system to having a Linux distro as my primary system. Sooner or later I'm going to ditch this distro if it continues in the direction it's going, most likely to Debian stable or a derivative of it. I'm not very experienced with non-Debian or derivative distros though, but have screwed around with Knoppix-based Damn Small Linux.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Quote:KDE sucks

I could argue that (what does everyone have against kde? unless your last experience was from 3 years ago when it actually did suck ... )

quassel is a good irc cli... oh wait you don't like kde stuffs

I'm not trying to convince you to switch to anything (use what you are comfortable with) I just want to know what people have against it (also I have nothing against gnome 2 ... I just like kde better)

KDE sucks, it's an over complicated mess that manages to take everything that's annoying about Windows graphical user interface and add even more, less organized, and often times redundant crap. It was also VERY buggy the last time I used it and the effects that came default with it nearly gave me a seizure (something which has NEVER happened before).
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

What you guys dislike about KDE, I dislike about Gnome. It's a matter of perspective, there's no point in arguing this IMHO.

I always have the feeling that when running KDE, my PC is 50% occupied with looking pretty, 40% with offering service I would never need, 20% with offering services I would need but that don't work right and about 10% with services that actually do what they are supposed to do.

When is this going to ww?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Calm down guys! Smile Everyone has a different opinion, accept that! Be open minded! Smile There is a Linux for everyone, doesn´t matter which exactly it is and whether it´s better than another or not. Smile

Halogene, you seem to believe that this thread has turned / will turn into an OS war, but I'm not feeling any tension at all. As Maddin said and as I've been trying to say, to each their own! I prefer to minimize the clutter as much as possible so I run no DE at all and opt for dwm as a WM. You prefer having whatever it is that gnome offers. Some people prefer KDE. I see no problem with that. They all have their quirks.

Maybe it's poorly designed (I am no one to judge), but some seem to still enjoy the user experience. Blame the developer for the bad performance.

This has been your terribly generic and bland post of the day.

me and my XP are laughing at you guys

(...runs and hides in the closet...)
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

(04-23-2012, 03:54 PM)kuniu the frogg Wrote: me and my XP are laughing at you guys

(...runs and hides in the closet...)

XP rocks, brother! Wink

but I like OS wars ... its fun arguing my point to someone who won't accept it no mattre how hard I try ... and then constatly and basefully refusing to accept thiers Big Grin

I never actually used xp ... i wen strait from ME to vista ...

... no wonder i use linux Tongue ...

rant made small for your convenience
kde wise I have the effects turned off ... cause they do hurt performance ... i am running a core i5 ... so the pretty takes up next to no power....
my poweruserness requires the plasma desktop widget system ... that is the main thing rooting me to kde ...

I also make much use of the kde apps
quassle - self loggin in irc client
gwenview (it can read .dds files Big Grin)
kate - syntax highlighted - multipaned - built in konsole
dolphin - file management with multi tabs- split panes - and embedded konsole

I can type a web address (or a google search) in the run pane (brought up with alt-f2) and it will auto open chrome with the address

I can easily set the pointless capslock key to a numlock

embedding widgets in the bar (pop up calculator, colorpicker <- a must, and spell checker)

and all of these start up exactly as I left after login from a shutdown my computer

just to name a few ... (I know some other wm have some of these but kde has them all)

... ok im done ranting now ...

I'm a simple guy with simple tastes. XP for windows, Puppy for linux.

You can't say that something 'sucks' without giving any arguments. And even giving arguments to back such oppinion you only can say what you think. I recommend prepending any criticism of anything with 'I think that...' :-). I agree with Mr. Bougo - there are so many desktops that everyone can choose what he likes.

I've been using KDE since the 2.x days, nearly every single version including the highly bashed 4.0. Currently at 4.7 I am really sure that this is the best desktop for me, which gives me the best experience for my work&play. I tried most other popular desktops out there - GNOME 2, IceWM, LightWM, Xfce, Lxde, Enlightenment 0.16 (which I was a big fan of until KDE4, but it was unusable for me on a daily basis), but I always was getting back to KDE, cause it was the most usable and flexible desktop.

About OpenSUSE - every distro has its quirks. After >5 years of using exclusively Debian and it's derivatives it took me a good couple of months (more like 0,5year) to feel comfortably on suse, but I grew tired of KDE always being treated like a second class citizen in debian-land. Maybe that's why most ppl using Debian have a bad opinion about KDE? And as a side note: since I'm using suse I got PulseAudio working with everything ootb (not that I needed it cause SB Live has a hardware mixer anyway but at work where I got only a usb headset for sound it's truly a blessing).
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

hutty, isn't having two num lock keys waaay more pointless than having a caps lock key? Why not bind it to something actually useful like esc, which is far out of reach from the home row?

(04-22-2012, 07:02 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Eh? What's ironic there? :o
never the mind me, just a lousy wordplay by me
[Image: signature.php] [Image: DVlpo.png]

(04-23-2012, 03:45 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: This has been your terribly generic and bland post of the day.

I totally hate it when people criticize me and it turns out that they are right.Dodgy

Anyway, since no one can be tempted to enter into a heated OS debate here, I might as well stop pretending.

My last experience with KDE was probably half a year ago and I again came to the conclusion that I like the looks, but I got frustrated again over configuration GUIs the settings of which got most stubbornly ignored.

I also don't use gnome anymore, I am now running LXDE and I think I've found the desktop that is good for me at this situation (though I admit that nowadays I don't use much of the DE at all).
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

You people talk a lot in a very short period of time about things unrelated to the main topic... not sure if impressive or sad.

Anyway, switched to XFCE... this shit is rigorously better than gnome-shell and unity, it has far better multi-monitor support. Still some bugs to work out, but soon I can just get my partitions/chat clients/various other applications set up and roll with it.

Tongue 
(04-24-2012, 11:11 AM)Samual Wrote: Anyway, switched to XFCE... this shit is rigorously better than gnome-shell and unity,

why dont you switch too http://www.freedos.org/ ?
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(04-24-2012, 11:15 AM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(04-24-2012, 11:11 AM)Samual Wrote: Anyway, switched to XFCE... this shit is rigorously better than gnome-shell and unity,

why dont you switch too http://www.freedos.org/ ?

What.

(04-24-2012, 11:11 AM)Samual Wrote: You people talk a lot in a very short period of time about things unrelated to the main topic... not sure if impressive or sad.

Anyway, switched to XFCE... this shit is rigorously better than gnome-shell and unity, it has far better multi-monitor support. Still some bugs to work out, but soon I can just get my partitions/chat clients/various other applications set up and roll with it.

I think you made a good decision there.

No, really, have you actually tried exploring Kubuntu 12.04?

Because even GNOME 2 was becoming simpler and simpler all the time... And the third version is just for retards. Actually I'm enjoying the GNOME 3 effect: more and more people seem to consider KDE, and GNOME itself is becoming clustered (Unity, Cinnamon, MATE...)
About Unity, I just can't use it comfortably.

As for KDE, I'm totally happy with it. The whole system works together; the integration is just amazing. The Dolphin file manager and Kate text editor are the best tools of their kind for me. And again, the integration really makes a difference: I go to an FTP server in the same file manager, open some files in the text editor, and when I save the files they are uploaded back to the server! Amarok music player is also just perfect.
The system can be configured to suit anyone's needs, and all the settings can be found very easily.
Some people were talking about KDE's bloat. Well, actually there are some daemons that do indexing, but you can completely disable them in a few clicks. And then there's nothing else I can call bloat, just everything a power user needs. KDE doesn't affect games' performance either. I've been playing many games, with Wine as well.
I've installed Kubuntu on my laptop and everything works just fine. I bet KDE supports laptops even better than GNOME (there are some nice settings for the touchpad and whatnot).
I can't say for sure about multi-monitor support, but I remember seeing some settings for that, so it should work.

Feel free to drop me a message if you want some tips about KDE. I'll be glad to help.
[Image: xonotic-forum.png]

(04-25-2012, 01:31 PM)BlaXpirit Wrote: And the third version is just for retards.

Seriously? That's a terrible thing to say in every possible context.

(04-25-2012, 01:57 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Seriously? That's a terrible thing to say in every possible context.

Many reviews imply that thought even though they don't say it openly.
[Image: xonotic-forum.png]

I hate KDE, it's a total piece of shit to my personal tastes. Go ahead and quote me on that.

Seriously, I hate how it feels, I hate how it looks, I hate how it performs, I hate the general idea of it (ripping off Windows system bar and menu in opensource world), I hate the themes and icons for it, I hate how it handles multiple monitors, I hate the entire environment really. Additionally, I get the same kind of integration with GNOME applications.

I will never ever use KDE again if I can avoid it, I would rather entirely use command line interfaces for the rest of my life than use KDE. (And yes BTW, I did try it back with Kubuntu 11.04 or such, it was not a good experience.)

That being said, it is perfectly acceptable to other people.. just not me. (same story for Unity, GNOME Shell, etc etc)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux Mint to overtake Ubuntu? satuim 21 24,006 09-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Last Post: edh
  Ubuntu 12.10 got one thing right. Minkovsky 5 6,346 10-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Last Post: s1lence
  A Let's Players rig in ALSA/Pulse/Ubuntu Natty - how? Minkovsky 4 5,809 06-18-2011, 04:26 AM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  [Will It Blend] TwinTech GeForce CUDA GTX470 1280 & Ubuntu 10.10 Minkovsky 6 10,258 03-30-2011, 07:17 AM
Last Post: unfa
  Debian VS Ubuntu, considering jumping distros Lee_Stricklin 33 48,160 01-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  [Will.It.Blend] Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3t & Ubuntu Minkovsky 1 4,101 11-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Spaceman
  ubuntu live cd+intel motherboard+western digital hardrive = hard not detected help jacob 2 4,146 08-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Last Post: jacob
  Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit Lee_Stricklin 14 18,550 07-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Roanoke