Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
[DM] Solarium

i have a question:
http://imageshack.us/f/546/xonotic000002.jpg/ - I have seen this before but I dont get, is the dithering effect intentional?

huh. I don't really know. that is not my grass model, so I am not sure what is causing that effect. I hadn't noticed until now.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

(09-19-2011, 07:21 AM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: i have a question:
http://imageshack.us/f/546/xonotic000002.jpg/ - I have seen this before but I dont get, is the dithering effect intentional?

Yes, that is intentional. Also, a clear sign that the texture is very low in quality and resolution.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

That dithering effect is a graphics driver bug. Blame it on NVidia for implementing Alpha-To-Coverage by dithering.

On AMD you should get no dithering Tongue
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

(09-20-2011, 02:06 AM)divVerent Wrote: That dithering effect is a graphics driver bug. Blame it on NVidia for implementing Alpha-To-Coverage by dithering.

On AMD you should get no dithering Tongue

Definitely going to raise hell about this on NVIDIA's forums... it's been plaguing other games as well, Just Cause 2 especially has a TON of this.

Yesterday I played this map in DM. It looks and plays like a dream. It is clean, wide, bright, attractive and fun. I think it is my favourite map so far. If it isn't in the release yet, I think it should be.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

my only negative experience is that there are some slowdowns, vanilla version maps seem to be more optimised

[Image: capture2012-01-01at93057PM.png?t=1325472501]
[Image: 2.png]
[Image: 3.png]

Imgur Gallery

I really like the new layout of the room showed in the 2nd screenshot. Good job!

I think that this map is ready to be officially included in the 0.6 release Smile

new version, now with 100% more bot waypoints!

also, relit with sRGB

get it here:
http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/so...e983e8.pk3

this map is still in develpment (again) so I will probably post a few more versions before now, but I am calling this one the current "stable" one, so if you want to put this on your server, that would be swell.

EDIT crap i forgot. if anyone experiences much lower framerate, set cl_particles 0. there is a particle effect under the waterfall that I forgot to remove.

Imgur Gallery

UPDATE use this one
http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/so...e983e8.pk3

Imgur Gallery

If I look to the bridge at a certain angle, it looks like a part of the bridge is under water. This is best visible when effects are on low.

This is how that looks:
[Image: xonotic20120127141150-00.jpg]

If you look from another angle it looks like this, what is how it should look:
[Image: xonotic20120127141203-00.jpg]

I love the layout, good dm map.

Mepper Wrote:...
This is a bug in the default shader, not theShadow's fault. Occurs with lavas and some grates as well: http://dev.xonotic.org/issues/806

...although tZork apparently seems to think the mappers should try to take care of it ???

how do you mix 2 textures in a q3shader? i want to add an environment map to the waterfall, but so far I have only managed to have a scrolling texture OR a waterfall, not both at once.

Code:
textures/map_solarium/waterfall
{
    qer_editorimage textures/map_solarium/waterfall/water2.tga
    //qer_trans 20
    //cull none
    //surfaceparm trans

{
        map textures/map_solarium/waterfall/water2.tga    
        tcMod scroll 0 -1.4
        blendfunc blend

}
    {    
        map textures/map_solarium/waterfall/env1.tga
        tcgen environment
        blendfunc add

}

}

this is what I have, and with it all I see is a the scrolling texture.

what am I doing wrong?

Imgur Gallery

I would uncomment the three surfaceparms, they look right there. But it´s quite curious that it doesn´t work, theoretically it should! Also remove the .tga suffixes, it´s really not needed. And I don´t know whether it´s important but the keywords should be case-sensitive.

@theShadow:

I took the liberty of subdividing the outer water brush so that it renders on two planes to finally get rid of the "disappearing walls in reflection" problem. The single brush is now three brushes: Two that are on the same plane (only subdivided them for geometric reasons, this won't slow down rendering) and one brush (in the tunnel connecting inside and outside) that is slightly slanted and thus renders reflections from a different point of view.

Map source: http://ompldr.org/vY2lpaQ/solarium-waterfix.zip

thank you. I'll send this to autocompile.

i would really like a better way of doing this though. I want to keep the number of renderes to a minimum. before this I had 4, and with this change I'm pushing the limit of what's aceptable.

mainly, i know i CAN do it better. the reflections in this area were fine before, they only broke after I fixed the reflections in the inner room, and I have fixed them before just by messing with the brushes that were bring reflected.

Imgur Gallery

You may get away with one single plane of water and marking some walls as detail, so the water renderer can see into the inside area from wherever it is rendering. Would still be much faster than additional rendering passes.

The performance got so much better after all these updates/changes! Did not try it with people yet, though.