Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Important: Need more 2D artwork! :D

Hey everyone,

I'm sure some of you know about a previous thread where Antibody asked for help with getting some icon artwork done for game modes and such... Well, i've got some other tasks to do... Actually, four in total. Below I have them listed, sorted in order from highest priority to lowest priority:

1. Create a new "network" image (a clock in the top left)
    There is a clock which is displayed in the top left corner when there is network lag (e.g., server is changing maps and client is waiting for server) - Right now (and since Nexuiz SVN) we have this very ugly blue clock made for the old Nexuiz 2.5.3 release which never happened. We removed the Nexuiz logo from it, but it's still a terrible image (seen below) -- What I need is for someone to completely make a new clock based on the Luminos style.... but really even if it isn't perfect, ANYTHING is better than what we have now. Really though, this shouldn't take long to complete.. Maybe a few hours for even only a slightly experienced artist.

2. Create a whole new set of crosshairs
    How many of you have noticed that the crosshairs in Xonotic are GENERALLY very boring and shitty?... and ESPECIALLY lacking in variety.. Aside from the per-weapon crosshairs (which, by the way, those are great) it seems that the default packed crosshairs are for the most part disliked in general. I mainly don't like that they lack any variety, it seems to be all the same thing (multiple little circles) with some minor variations. Whatever happened to normal crosshairs? -- Anyway, this one would require quite a large amount of work... I'd certainly like to have it done by 0.6 though if possible.

3. New "missing preview" images for the menus
    Taoki has coded new functionality which allows all of the various "preview" image areas to have "missing preview" images when for example a mapper forgets to pack his map with a screenshot of it. You can see the status of it here: http://dev.xonotic.org/issues/834 -- Now, the images he made are okay as placeholders, but we all know that Taoki is not the best of artists Tongue I'd like just something simple for these preview images, e.g. xonotic logo + "missing preview" text which is faded into a black background. This shouldn't take too long either I would think, the trick here is just making sure the different aspect ratios look right for the different images.
  4. Forum icons for read/unread/sticky/etc that match Luminos theme
    This one isn't really necessary yet, but in the future we WILL be replacing the main forum website theme with something that matches luminos much better... And one of the things we'll need for this is a set of icons for all the various forum categories and thread statuses and such. - I can definitely see this being a massive amount of work though, and again it's not necessary at least until we truly plan the date of this template update.

That's pretty much all i've got for now, really i'd like people to concentrate on the first two.. ESPECIALLY for before the end of January or such so it can potentially get into the next release.

Let me know what you're interested in doing if anything -- If you need more details about how to accomplish some task, let me know and I can try and give you that extra information.

Those little circles are mine Wink And I think not everybody hates them. Looks like some people find them simple and aesthetic.

For example I don't really like these per-weapon crosshairs as I think they have too much detail. So I made my own set.

I might try making another set anyways...

If I can get some time, I'll try working on these little thingies. I think more artists will do something here so you'll just pick the best works among those posted.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Per weapon crosshairs + health crosshair color, never really noticed Big Grin

Anyway, I'm not to handy with the GIMP but might give 1/2/3 a shot anyway. Don't get your hopes up.

Well for the crosshairs, I actually could code a "theme/pack" setting so players could select between many different groups of crosshairs

I don't really mean to be that rude unfa, but the general reaction from Nexuiz/competitive players coming to the Xonotic default crosshairs is.... very negative.

http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/c498...l3nwz2.jpg

here is one i have made
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Photo 
if a rotating wait image is possible: you can use this one:

.zip   xonotic wait.zip (Size: 9.79 MB / Downloads: 7)
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Would it be possible for crosshairs to change color/brightness according to the background image? Often you can't see the charge of nex for example.
I know that you can change color of all crosshairs but it would be cool.

-> negative color could be useful...
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Just hacked this lag warning symbol together, don't know how well it would fit, but the image still hasn't been fixed as of 0.7 so I figured I'd take a shot at it.

[Image: w4hloCQ.png]

(08-03-2013, 01:18 AM)matrixx Wrote: Just hacked this lag warning symbol together, don't know how well it would fit, but the image still hasn't been fixed as of 0.7 so I figured I'd take a shot at it.

That looks pretty cool already, maybe the jagged lines on the dial make it a bit too "nervous"-looking (for lack of a better word) ... The clock should not draw away attention from the game; and the one we're currently using stays a bit more in the background IMHO. Anyway, I like the futuristic touch this new clock has.

(12-12-2011, 12:30 AM)Samual Wrote: [...] but really even if it isn't perfect, ANYTHING is better than what we have now.

THEN WHY IS THIS NOT IN THE GAME YET??! Big Grin
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

I have made a kinda-luminos styled clock. What do you think?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(08-03-2013, 09:00 AM)aa Wrote: I have made a kinda-luminos styled clock. What do you think?

The hands should definitely be moved so that they don't line up with the horizontal/vertical axes. Also, make the hands either a bit smaller or a bit large so they don't end directly at the "circles" on the dial. It looks good already, and I think if you change those two things it will look awesome! Big Grin
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

Thank you very much for your quick reply, Zykure. Here is the corrected version

Attached Files
.png   Xclock.png (Size: 219.47 KB / Downloads: 321)

(08-03-2013, 06:15 AM)zykure Wrote: That looks pretty cool already, maybe the jagged lines on the dial make it a bit too "nervous"-looking (for lack of a better word)
Sharp? Angry?

(08-03-2013, 06:15 AM)zykure Wrote: The clock should not draw away attention from the game; and the one we're currently using stays a bit more in the background IMHO.
The current clock is opaque blue and black and blocks a large chunk of the upper-left corner...

It looks like an evil eye with cyan blood lines.

(08-03-2013, 07:01 PM)aa Wrote: It looks like an evil eye with cyan blood lines.

Oops, yeah it does...

Hmm is a clock really the best way to go? some stylized scene of someone stabbing a modem would be more to the point Tongue Or.. something else - be creative =)

A network cable cut with scissors?

I think just an ethernet cable coming out of a socket would get the point across. Think like the icon from RTCW but done up in appropriate colors.

Hello every one, i just discover this game a few day ago, and it's a very great open-source game. (you should think to add this game to default repos of linux !)

But yes the clock is very ugly and i was asking if a clock was necessary, and if we can put an animation instead of an image?

I'm asking this because i have an idea for an image/animation of two planete wich send each other "plasma" and Collide and scatters if connection lost.

Here a draft of my idea (i need to add post-effect, better litghting, add some particle, change planet and a lot of other thing...^^):

[Image: lpcj.png]

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8859/nglr.png

Thank to say me if it's possible, else i will do a background screen with it ^^.

Ps : sorry for my bad english, i need more pratrice.

That's really cool, but I think we're aiming for something simple and readable. I don't really see the connection with network problems here.

yes it need a lot of Imagination to read it, so it will be a background.

i'm just a casual modeler but i will probably try to do something for this game (as soon as i have found what to do^^)

So see you soon!

Thanks a lot, though! I appreciate.

(11-11-2013, 10:32 AM)rashintawak Wrote: Thank to say me if it's possible, else i will do a background screen with it ^^.

I don't think animations are possible. Keep in mind that the icon is generally visible for brief moments only. That being said, since you know your way around a 3D application, there is always demand for item and prop modelers, maybe that is of interest to you.

(08-25-2013, 09:54 PM)JayWalker Wrote: I think just an ethernet cable coming out of a socket would get the point across.

Yes, this makes the most sense to me as well. Here is my draft version for the luminos revision:

.png   icons8_network.png (Size: 2.92 KB / Downloads: 188)

That looks very cool sev! I´d definitely would vote this up, also because it´s not too big and has transparent parts allowing you to read the scoreboard (including your ping Wink ).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Need modelling help. _para 3 1,093 03-17-2023, 02:34 AM
Last Post: anoob
  need modeling help MusicGoat 5 2,973 08-23-2022, 08:34 AM
Last Post: NoClue
  I need help with textures. [Solved] TapX 5 4,163 05-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Julius
  Need more vanilla/competitive CTF maps Antares* 5 3,664 10-18-2017, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  I need help with NetRadiant The Silver Lining 5 4,594 09-03-2016, 05:54 PM
Last Post: The Silver Lining
  need help with one more thing :( Kamakazi 3 3,824 04-04-2016, 07:20 AM
Last Post: -z-
  [SOLVED] Need Help my map won't run :( Kamakazi 7 5,203 04-03-2016, 06:46 AM
Last Post: Maddin
  New Playermodel; need some technical help poVoq 16 23,276 08-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Orbiter Sunblast
Thumbs Up We need our own Big Freakin' Gun Harmata 9 6,383 04-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Harmata
  I would need some help with some UT maps. neXus 10 8,802 04-19-2012, 03:58 AM
Last Post: neXus